Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to apply for US passport

How to apply for US passport

Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

danny11 will become famous soon enoughdanny11 will become famous soon enough
Default How to apply for US passport

Hey guys I am a new naturalize citizen, I want to apply for my US passport. I understand that I can do this at the local post office. My question is what is it that I need to bring to the post office in order to get my US passport besides my Naturalization certificate? And are they going to keep my Naturalization Certificate or will they just look at it and return it at once. I appreciate any help on this matter.

Danny
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to apply for US passport

Originally Posted by danny11
Hey guys I am a new naturalize citizen, I want to apply for my US passport. I understand that I can do this at the local post office. My question is what is it that I need to bring to the post office in order to get my US passport besides my Naturalization certificate? And are they going to keep my Naturalization Certificate or will they just look at it and return it at once. I appreciate any help on this matter.

Danny
Call the post office....
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Call the post office....
This took about 2 seconds:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

or

http://www.usps.com/passport/

Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
This took about 2 seconds:....
I cannot type that fast.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
I cannot type that fast.
woof
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:06 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Danny
The application form ( should have it at the post office). Your Naturalization certificate, which they take off you and return, mine came back about a week after I got my passport. Two US style passport photos. And 2 checks, one for the US passport, one for the postal fee for the post office. About $100 if I remember correct. Some smaller post offices you have to make an appointment or they have certain days where they do passports.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

I dispensed with the post office and went to the county courthouse, as appointments aren't necessary. It was the clerks office, same place you go to get a marriage license.

As mentioned, you need two photos (the US size 2" x 2"), your Naturalization certificate, the completed form (Don't sign it until the clerk tells you to), 2 cheques (If I remember $67 for the passport, $30 for the Clerk/Post Office) and some photo ID - Drivers licence is fine.

The take your certificate from you and return it in a seperate envelope from the passport.

I applied about 2 months ago, and was told 6-8 weeks. It actually took 4. If want expedited, you're looking at approx 1 week. (Based on my USC wife renewing hers)

Compare that to $265 for my new UK passport....
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

Danny
Congrats & yeah they take the naturalization certificate & return it with the passport. My husband and son both applied at the begining of October, hubby pai dthe extra to have it expediated - it took one week, my son didn't and it took two weeks. If you aply before the rush for Spring Break you'll probably get a quick turn around.