Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

xmas Pressies

xmas Pressies

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default xmas Pressies

I need help here - kids xmas pressie list has arrived!!!

I Pod TOUCH! I looked at costco, 300 with 2 year warrenty - anyone know anywhere cheaper??? or is the nanu just as good?

Cell Phones, I didnt want to get the wonderful, sensible 15/13 year old plans, because I dont want to be cornered with a whopper bill one month, they have always had pay as u go phones in europe, but it dont look like i am going to get away with it here.... We have nextel, looked at their phones and plans to add them with us, one, the phones are crap for teenagers. and two we wouldnt be saving much if we were going to get them their own little family plan! with unlimited text messaging of course!! so i looked at sprint, which is wierd because sprint and nextel are together but sprint phones dont work with nextel??? someone conning me here or is it true...? any advice of what plan to get and with who?

DVD players. They both want a dvd player. Little one. so i thought target? again any ideas on this as to cheap and cheerful.

i dont do ebay because been stung there too much, so any help is going to be appreciated.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: xmas Pressies

[crash] Nothing to do with Christmas, but how are you getting on with the orange tablets DeeDee? [/crash]
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

hmm the tablets. Well i took them till the bottle run out, and then didnt renew them. I wouldnt say they were useless because they work for a lot of people. But i must have a stronger stomach, because even with the tablets and pizza i didnt have any accidents!!!

and with no accidents i had more pizza. I am going to stick to the old fashioned method.... bye bigger clothes haha. No really i am going to do exercise a little more, and more watching what the hell i am eating. By the way do mince pies hold a lot of calories.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:38 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13

I Pod TOUCH! I looked at costco, 300 with 2 year warrenty - anyone know anywhere cheaper??? or is the nanu just as good?

Cell Phones, I didnt want to get the wonderful, sensible 15/13 year old plans, because I dont want to be cornered with a whopper bill one month, they have always had pay as u go phones in europe, but it dont look like i am going to get away with it here.... We have nextel, looked at their phones and plans to add them with us, one, the phones are crap for teenagers. and two we wouldnt be saving much if we were going to get them their own little family plan! with unlimited text messaging of course!! so i looked at sprint, which is wierd because sprint and nextel are together but sprint phones dont work with nextel??? someone conning me here or is it true...? any advice of what plan to get and with who?

DVD players. They both want a dvd player. Little one. so i thought target? again any ideas on this as to cheap and cheerful.

i dont do ebay because been stung there too much, so any help is going to be appreciated.

IPODS: Costco would be your best bet. It's very hard to find a price variation for iPods outside of eBay. The Nano is also a good choice or you could go with the new Shuffle that has the screen.

CELL PHONES: Sprint sucks! Their coverage is not as good as other plans AND their customer service sucks. I don't know if you remember but they were the phone company that dropped customers that complained too much. I wonder why they were complaining.
As for plans, I would look at Verizon. They are great and have a variety of phones. T-Mobile is also good. I have T-Mobile and don't really have any complaints from them. I'd recommend going to http://www.wirelfy.com in order to do a side by side comparison of plans.

DVD PLAYERS: Target is a great place to find cheap DVD players. I snagged one for myself a couple years back for under $40. It's still running and looks great. It's small too so it fits well for a bedroom. This is the one I have. There are others as well.

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13

Ipod touch - check the size $300 is the list price but you wont get much cheaper - Costco is great but at that price you could get anywhere. 300 is 8 gig, 400 for 16 gig. I would buy from Amazon as there is no sales tax. Touch has great screen interface and you can browse the internet wirelessly - if you dont need that and want more space then the classic may be better bet.

If you want cheap DVD player - Target is great, we have a few cyberhomes that cost $25 at the time and can be hacked easily to region free.

ATT pay as you phones are pretty good these days I think

Happy shopping!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
IPODS: Costco would be your best bet. It's very hard to find a price variation for iPods outside of eBay. The Nano is also a good choice or you could go with the new Shuffle that has the screen.

New shuffles don't have screen - the new nano now has video though and now has more memory
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:54 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
New shuffles don't have screen - the new nano now has video though and now has more memory
Woopsie! You are right. I like that one and much cheaper than the Classic which I have. I think they start at about $149 or so.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

sod the ipod....they can save up for something that expensive or get a knock off...

as for phones, plenty of payas you go phones, most are a bit pants and the deals depend on where you live...over our way tracfone works quite well, for our needs as the mins don't expire and I hardly ever use it...but I'd also recommend T-mobile or Virgin...sure the phones aren't that great, but if it's a gsm network, so not virgin, you can get a cheapo second hand unlocked phone on ebay.

As for dvd players, Target had those $30 coby players for a tenner last week...but I'd spend the extra $10 for the Philips that plays mpeg 4 files, so will play downloaded avi files etc...plenty of threads on them over here and I'm to lazy to search them out I'm afraid.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:53 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Bob
sod the ipod....they can save up for something that expensive or get a knock off...
Hey, the point of Christmas (among others) is to get something that you'd normally have to save for. I think it's cool that she wants to get her kids an iPod. If I got one or a 2ndGen Zune it would make my Christmas. Yeah yeah, I'm completely disregarding the true meaning the Christmas. So what.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Hey, the point of Christmas (among others) is to get something that you'd normally have to save for. I think it's cool that she wants to get her kids an iPod. If I got one or a 2ndGen Zune it would make my Christmas. Yeah yeah, I'm completely disregarding the true meaning the Christmas. So what.
aye, I know...but wanting overly expensive things and getting them are different things...and I'm a miserable git.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:30 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to buy the iPod Touch, get it from MacMall. They are cheaper there and you won't pay tax. If you order it through eBates, you'll get cashback too.