Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Houston Move

Houston Move

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston Move

US and Houston isn't like Dubai or Abu Dhabi, or even other oil cities - its not set up for an 'expat scene' - Houston is a big American city with people from hundreds of countries! No 'expat' bars, or 'scene.'

What Brits I know there - are all in the PTA for extra activities! You'd probably better looking at the singles scene instead (if that is what you are looking for.)

So with a melting pot of so many people and cultures....you'll find friends from all over the world. Why not this option? And there is so much to do even without the pub.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Is this like in "Love Actually" when the girls in Wisconsin say just how friendly their roommate is?
Say bottle....bo-tull.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:55 am
Just Joined

dibraggio is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers guys.

guess i am just looking for "home comforts" and a familiar voice.

totally agree about the locals being friendly.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Important correction -
Yard House has 132 beers on tap from around the world. And many from Scotland and rest of UK!

Great food, full of people, and great beer on tap.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

dibraggio is an unknown quantity at this point

we were in the flying saucer the last time in downtown houston. they certainly have agood few, including deuchars!
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

sdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nice

i don't envy you much, i lived in houston (katy and then memorial park) for 2 years and didn't enjoy it. i have since found a better life in southern california. but in saying that congratulations on the job, that'll be a wealth of experience.

i was 26 when i moved there and found it incredibly hard to make real, genuine friends. those friends i did make were flaky and false.

don't forget to bring a jumper or two with you, those texans sure like to crank the a/c up.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:02 am
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

I was in Houston recently for a conference- they are terrible drivers- worse than here in Dallas I think! Also my gps managed to scramble itself.....for a while it was a bit touch and go lol. Went to a club on the saturday night and there were armed police patrolling the place- gave me the heebeegeebees! On the plus side, it's only a kick in the arse away from Galveston, spent the day there and liked it.

oh yeah buy a toll tag.....I wish I had!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdbritguy
i don't envy you much, i lived in houston (katy and then memorial park) for 2 years and didn't enjoy it. i have since found a better life in southern california. but in saying that congratulations on the job, that'll be a wealth of experience.

i was 26 when i moved there and found it incredibly hard to make real, genuine friends. those friends i did make were flaky and false.

don't forget to bring a jumper or two with you, those texans sure like to crank the a/c up.

You're in California and yet you think people in Houston are "flaky and false"

You're having a laugh..
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:41 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Important correction -
Yard House has 132 beers on tap from around the world. And many from Scotland and rest of UK!

Great food, full of people, and great beer on tap.
Even more important note - you're almost certainly talking about kegged versions of British beer - big difference from their original (gorgeous) cask versions back home. Hopefully that 132 includes a good number of craft American brews that were designed to be kegged and are much more tasty (in my most humble of opinions).
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Is this like in "Love Actually" when the girls in Wisconsin say just how friendly their roommate is?
GOOD LUCK , can't wait to hear what you think of this place