Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Alaska: Best time to visit????

Alaska: Best time to visit????

Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:51 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alaska: Best time to visit????

When is the best time to go on vacation to Alaska?
would a cruise be better than flying?
which areas are better for visiting?
I have no clue
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best time to visit????

Be aware that most cruises stop off in Canada on the way so if you are filing any immigration paperwork at the time be aware of the consequences.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:30 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I have no clue
Don't tell me you're off again woman FFS did you win the lottery and not tell me!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:58 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Don't tell me you're off again woman FFS did you win the lottery and not tell me!

That depends on when the best time to go is......
I wish I had won the lottery I would not be asking when the best time to go to Alaska is... I would be asking about around the world cruises...
although not to sure about the cruise part.. last time I went on one I was sick going..
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:58 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Be aware that most cruises stop off in Canada on the way so if you are filing any immigration paperwork at the time be aware of the consequences.

Will be done with immigration by the time we go..
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:59 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I have no clue
What would you be doing while you were there? See a glacier. Hike a trail. Fondle a moose?

The further north you go the longer the days in summer and the shorter the days in winter. See average temperatures on weather.com if that's important. Be aware of the effect of the compressed tourist season on prices for tours, hotels and stuff. Wilderness areas will be full of bugs in spring and at least the first half of summer.

It's all down to preferences, budgets (time and money) and the kinds of things you think you'd like to do.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska: Best time to visit????

We cruised end of May beginning of June. Flew into Fairbanks and then spent 2 nights in Denali National Park. Magic. Then by train to pick up the ship near Anchorage. Cruised around Glacier Bay National Park and onto Juneau, Skagway and Kechikan. Then sailed via the Inside Passage which was beautiful scenery the whole way.

We are not hugely keen cruise people but this one we thoroughly enjoyed, because there was something to see every day. It was on Princess cruises but there are loads of other companies sailing out of Seattle etc.

One thing which was very pleasing was that this early in the season you don't get the mosquitoes which can be very annoying - they are very big in Alaska.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:30 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Take a winter cruise if you can...its absolutely drop dead beautiful in the winter...even if a bit drop dead cold also...

I spent quite a few months up there...
Old Jul 31st 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

We're going on a round trip cruise from Seattle in September. Hopefully the weather will stay good for it. After 13 years of marriage, it's going to be the honeymoon we promised ourselves. Just haven't been able to afford it until now.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:20 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
What would you be doing while you were there? See a glacier. Hike a trail. Fondle a moose?

The further north you go the longer the days in summer and the shorter the days in winter. See average temperatures on weather.com if that's important. Be aware of the effect of the compressed tourist season on prices for tours, hotels and stuff. Wilderness areas will be full of bugs in spring and at least the first half of summer.

It's all down to preferences, budgets (time and money) and the kinds of things you think you'd like to do.
Its all about fondling the wildlife with you isn't it!! not 2 weeks back you were talking about fondling possums!!!

I haven't done the Alaska cruise yet, but my Ozzie Aunt and Uncle did one when they came to stay, at the beginning of June LOVED IT!! and are considering repeating the experience!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it all depends on what you want to do in Alaska.

I wanted to experience cold weather so I went in winter, flew to Barrow in March and yes it was cold.

Most people seem to venture in the summer months, June to September though.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I would visit between June and September. shoulder season here is dead.
Cruises are good but you will be on their timetable as to what you see when and from experience (I live here) some places are worth more than the usual 4 hour stopby that cruises/ buses allow for.

If you need more info send me a msg, living here and loving it. Went to Valdez this weekend and saw black and brown bears and cubs, fished for salmon and was wowed by the scenery.

Jan