Houston

Old Apr 16th 2002, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Coral is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Houston

I applied for EAD and AOS by mail and got my receipt from the district office 3/22/02. I have now received my appointment for fingerprinting 5/7/02 not at the district office but at the Application Support Center.

Can anyone tell me whether this means I will get my green card the same day I'm printed or will I have to attend another appointment on another day or will it just be sent to me or what!! Oh and if I don't get it that day does anyone know how much time will probably elapse between being printed and actually getting a green card in my sweaty little hand????

Is there any point in taking all my paperwork and trying to get AOS sorted out that day too??
Old Apr 16th 2002, 4:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston

Sorry but all it means is that your fingerprints are going to be taken for the FBI/CIA clearance and that an appointment to attend an interview for the final adjundication of your AOS application should be forth coming in a few weeks/months.

Do not take anything but what the letter asks you to bring, i.e. photo identification, the appointment letter. Be sure that you save the receipt from the fingerprinting as you will most likely be asked for it at the time of your interview.

Rete
Old Apr 16th 2002, 4:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BTW it is difficult to forecast a timeline for your AOS as you don't say which District office you are using. Texas has several, i.e. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

The timeline varies from office to office. Relax, you haven't said that you received your one year EAD yet, so you will still be going to the INS office in the near future to pick that up.
Old Apr 16th 2002, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rete

I'm with Houston office which I put in the subject line - didn't want to bore everyone by being too repetitive!!

I thought that was probably the case with AOS but I wasn't sure about EAD - when you say I'll be called back shortly for the 1 year green card any idea what sort of time span we're talking from fingerprinting to being called back??
Old Apr 16th 2002, 5:33 pm
Concierge

The EAD is normally issued within 90 days of filing and in some cases the same day if filing in person. I see you mailed your ins and yes I didn't catch Houston in the subject line DUH!

Fingerprinting has absolutely nothing to do with the EAD or its timeline. The fingerprinting is for the AOS. Sounds like Houston is acting quickly in your case. Did you by chance do a K-1 first?
Old Apr 16th 2002, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

thanks again Rete

I thought the fingerprinting was for the green card - my turn for duh!! So it's for AOS eh?? Amazing!! When I got my letter and receipt for that INS said they were working on applications from Nov 1998 (!!!) so I thought I'd be in for a long, long wait. Mind you I've seen posts on here where folk have waited a couple of years between fingerprinting and getting interview for AOS - probably why I assumed prints were more to do with work situation.

And yes I did come here via K1 route and before I discovered this site much to my chagrain as it would have made the whole process much less worrisome - knowledge is power as they say!! On the other hand I also discovered from here that I'm apparently out of status as although I married within the 90 days I didn't file for AOS until 3 months after my K1 visa expired!! Ho hum I thought that the only requirement was the one to marry and as I didn't plan on working felt no urgency to expose myself again to the INS nightmare......
Old Apr 16th 2002, 7:20 pm
Concierge

Coral

For the green card you need to AOS (adjust status) :-)

In order to AOS, you need to submit the forms, which you did, and then INS calls you in for fingerprinting for the FBI/CIA clearance. Somewhere around the time of fingerprinting you get an interview letter for the AOS interview. At the interview, if you are approved, they will have you sign an I-89 card and take a single digit fingerprint which will show up on the card along with your signature and photograph.

Now you will do the very same thing for the EAD card. Your photograph, single digit print and signature will appear on it.

Hmmmm about the not applying until three months after expiration of the K-1. Actually it makes you out of status for that timeframe but it is not the end of the world. I understand that the main issue is that the marriage takes place before its expiration.

So sit tight, INS knows you are living and breathing in their jurisdiction. They will get to you eventually.
Old Apr 17th 2002, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again and again Rete!!

Well I'm obviously not as clear about these things as I thought I was - you'd never believe I've got this far without a lawyer and without the expertise of this site would you??!!

I thought that I'd be able to get my EAD (which I thought was the green card) before AOS mainly because the INS say you can get EAD in 90 days and there is a backlog of God knows how many years for AOS. Also at POE I got a stamp on my I-94 which allowed me to work for 90 days (and get my SS#) and my status was k1 only then.

What is it that I get for EAD in 90 days if it's not a green card then and when I get whatever it is will I be able to work?? Please tell me yes - I'm going out of my mind stuck by myself down the end of a dirt track road in the middle of a Texas national forest with only the rattle snakes and armadillos for company!!!!
Old Apr 17th 2002, 4:10 am
Einstien

When you get an EAD, it is just a work permit for 1 year and you have to renew it
every year. It is not a green card. I applied for AOS in houston in march of 2001.
But not on K1. I was here on a F1 visa. You are right. The backlog is about 3 years
or so in Houston(one of the worst in the country). BUT, nowadays they are giving K1
people with cut and dry cases a GC just after a few months. This is something that
started happening very recently at the Houston office. I have not had my Finger
prints done yet. I think you will get your GC in a few months as well. BTW, I applied
for my 2nd EAD on Feb 15th this year and picked it up on April 8th. so it is about 54
days rather than 90 days. Hope this helps...

"Coral" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks again and again Rete!!
    >
    > Well I'm obviously not as clear about these things as I thought I was - you'd never
    > believe I've got this far without a lawyer and without the expertise of this site
    > would you??!!
    >
    > I thought that I'd be able to get my EAD (which I thought was the green card)
    > before AOS mainly because the INS say you can get EAD in 90 days and there is a
    > backlog of God knows how many years for AOS. Also at POE I got a stamp on my
    > I-94 which allowed me to work for 90 days (and get my SS#) and my status was k1
    > only then.
    >
    > What is it that I get for EAD in 90 days if it's not a green card then and when I
    > get whatever it is will I be able to work?? Please tell me yes - I'm going out of
    > my mind stuck by myself down the end of a dirt track road in the middle of a Texas
    > national forest with only the rattle snakes and armadillos for company!!!!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 17th 2002, 3:10 pm
Tim

My k-1 wife was fingerprinted for AOS at a Houston ASC office in late August, 2001.
We are still waiting for her AOS interview almost 8 months later. Others we know here
in Houston were fingerprinted around the same time and are still waiting too. Hope
your wait is not as long as ours....

Regards, Tim

Coral <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks Rete
    >
    > I'm with Houston office which I put in the subject line - didn't want to bore
    > everyone by being too repetitive!!
    >
    > I thought that was probably the case with AOS but I wasn't sure about EAD - when
    > you say I'll be called back shortly for the 1 year green card any idea what sort of
    > time span we're talking from fingerprinting to being called back??

Old Apr 17th 2002, 3:10 pm
Tim

The Houston INS office will eventually mail you a green appointment letter that
tells you when to come in for your EAD. You will go to the main INS office, not an
ASC office.

[Note: before you get the green appt. letter you should get a cashiers receipt in the
mail, showing you have paid for it (via I-765). Guard this receipt ! If, after 90
days from the date printed on that receipt, you still have not recieved the green
appt. letter, you can take this receipt to the Houston INS and get an EAD on the
spot. Just make sure you go during EAD hours, which I believe are Mon-Thurs in the
morning. You will have to wait in line (with no green letter), so arrive by 4:00 am
at latest to queue up.]

Assuming you do get the green appt. letter, arrive in the morning on the date
scheduled. You should get there about 30 minutes prior to the appt. time. You DO NOT
have to get in the queue when you arrive, just show the green letter to the guard at
the door and you will be let in.

Once inside, you'll put your appt. letter in an inbox at the EAD desk, then take a
seat nearby. Listen for your name to be called out by the EAD workers. You will be
fingerprinted, photographed, and your passport will be checked. Then you sit down and
wait another 15 minutes or so until your name is called again. Presto ! You are
handed your laminated EAD card, good for 1 year of work.

We are currently on my wife's second EAD card issued from Houston, we hope this is
our last one (maybe her AOS interview will come soon....)

Hope this helps,

Tim

Coral <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks again and again Rete!!
    >
    > Well I'm obviously not as clear about these things as I thought I was - you'd never
    > believe I've got this far without a lawyer and without the expertise of this site
    > would you??!!
    >
    > I thought that I'd be able to get my EAD (which I thought was the green card)
    > before AOS mainly because the INS say you can get EAD in 90 days and there is a
    > backlog of God knows how many years for AOS. Also at POE I got a stamp on my
    > I-94 which allowed me to work for 90 days (and get my SS#) and my status was k1
    > only then.
    >
    > What is it that I get for EAD in 90 days if it's not a green card then and when I
    > get whatever it is will I be able to work?? Please tell me yes - I'm going out of
    > my mind stuck by myself down the end of a dirt track road in the middle of a Texas
    > national forest with only the rattle snakes and armadillos for company!!!!

Old Apr 17th 2002, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Einstein and Tim

Thank you both so much for clarifying things - good news indeed that I should be able to look for a job soonish!! Even better if I'm one of the ones to benefit from Houston speeding up.

Thank you in particular for the warning not to queue if I have an appointment - I made that mistake in London when getting my K1 - stood there for ages before I recognised a few faces from the medical that morning walking straight in!!

Hope you both get yours post haste.....