Reload this Page >

SSN processing time:(

SSN processing time:(

Old Apr 17th 2002, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

lisenok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN processing time:(

Here is my situation:

I applied for Social Security Number one month ago, and still didn't receive it. Today at the office officer told me that they send my documents for verification to the INS. And this procedure usually take2-3 month... Previously they told that it takes 4 weeks. Which is also long time.
I know that other people from different SS office but with the same situation as mine receive SSN after 1 week.

Why is that difference?
Anyone have the same experience?
Is there any way to make this process faster?

Thanks in advance for any reply
Lisenok
Old Apr 18th 2002, 12:00 am
Joachim Feise

Default Re: SSN processing time:(

lisenok wrote:
    > Here is my situation:
    >
    > I applied for Social Security Number one month ago, and still didn't receive it.
    > Today at the office officer told me that they send my documents for verification to
    > the INS. And this procedure usually take2-3 month... Previously they told that it
    > takes 4 weeks. Which is also long time. I know that other people from different SS
    > office but with the same situation as mine receive SSN after 1 week.
    >
    > Why is that difference? Anyone have the same experience? Is there any way to make
    > this process faster?

After 9/11, the Social Security Administration started to verify the documentation.
Unfortunately, INS isn't overly fast, so the data often isn't in their computers yet,
and SSA is waiting for the positive answer. As is usual with INS, they work in
mysterious ways, and occasionally actually get the data into their systems quickly.
That's why you sometimes see fast turnaround times. Now that the SSA relies on INS,
the processing times for the social security card are just unpredictable.

-Joe