Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hoston move - basic questions

hoston move - basic questions

Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hoston move - basic questions

Originally Posted by Speedbird One
It is, and it is the deal breaker for me. My premise had been that I could have my son at school for the 3 - 6 months while I am there. That then became 3 months, with risk of re entry refusal after 3 months, which I don't care for too much. Then it became, no local schools can be used either for my son....so final attempt was for private schooling, but it seems I may well even get visa breach problems even from that, so, I am out of this, it is too hard. We will come for a few weeks holiday instead again and then leave. I won't take any visa breach risks in the USA at this stage, as a green card can be obtained.

There are plenty of other exciting places, and I will be happy to spend my hard earned dollars where I am welcome, and it seems the US does not want them, a pity, mutually, but so be it.
Seems sensible if you know you'll be coming anyway in the future.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedbird One
I will be happy to spend my hard earned dollars where I am welcome, and it seems the US does not want them, a pity, mutually, but so be it.
This is usually the reaction from people (not you, but otherwise = spoiled brats) who, oddly enough, think the US actually cares about whether or not Johnny foreigner spends a few dollars here!

Many people think they can just waltz into the US without a care in the world, ignore US immigration rules and regulations, and be held unaccountable for anything they do wrong! Staggers the imagination, really!

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack

But doesn't someone have to tell you if they're going to run a credit check on you? I really don't remember my daughter's school doing that.
Yes they do, but it's probably buried in the middle of the small print in some papers they shove your way asking for a signature about contacting your references.

Done in a lot of job applications too these days :/
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:45 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I know you have already said you won't be doing it now, but for completeness I just wanted to add:
When we came over here on legitimate working visas and had social security numbers it was still a huge pain to get rentals, utilities, driving licence, cell phones, mortgage apps, insurance, et et because the numpty you deal with at the companies, offices, DMV, etc etc just don't deal with foreigners that often so you have to explain a gazillion times over about stuff.

I was the the trailing spouse in the deal so Initially my husband got all the credit in his name as he had the salary etc. I started work 18 months ago after being in e country since 2007 and I still personally have zero credit rating. Not a bad rating - a non existent rating. The last time I looks they told me the ratings were between something like 450 to 800 and mine was 0. I do have seal utilities in my name and I've had a bank account with debit card etc all that time. I just have not gotten any credit here in just my name so it just never builds any record for me.