Reload this Page >

Civil partnerships in the USA

Civil partnerships in the USA

Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

slinkyuk76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil partnerships in the USA

Hi,

My partner (American) and myself (British) plan on marrying in New York next May, we are both female. Could you give me some advice on whether or not I need to fill out anything extra to do this. I will visiting on an ESTA visa and staying for a month. Also do you know whether this could affect future visits to america after we are married?

Many thanks
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil partnerships in the USA

Originally Posted by slinkyuk76
Hi,

My partner (American) and myself (British) plan on marrying in New York next May, we are both female. Could you give me some advice on whether or not I need to fill out anything extra to do this. I will visiting on an ESTA visa and staying for a month. Also do you know whether this could affect future visits to america after we are married?

Many thanks
Since the US Federal government does not recognize same-sex marriages, it will not affect future visits to the USA.

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you give me some advice on whether or not I need to fill out anything extra to do this.

See here: http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/ma...ples_faq.shtml

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Noorah.

I have heard previously though that if I were to apply for a tourist visa this could affect my application in the interview.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:34 pm

Thank you Noorah.

I have heard previously though that if I were to apply for a tourist visa this could affect my application in the interview.
Why would you apply for tourist visa (B-2) when you're eligible to use the VWP?

Being married to your partner will not affect future VWP visits.

If you were thinking of applying for a B-2, don't bother. It's very difficult to get a B-2 visa if you are eligible to use the VWP. Your marriage has nothing to do with that, it goes for everyone. And if you do apply for a B-2, and it gets denied, it affects your VWP eligibility for some time. Better to just continue visiting on the VWP.

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again,
I was just wondering about the B-2 visa thing, in case I wanted to stay longer on another visit.

Just another query, is it perfectly legal to marry on an ESTA visa, I found mixed answers for this on other forums.

Thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:54 pm

I was just wondering about the B-2 visa thing, in case I wanted to stay longer on another visit.
For all intents and purposes, if you are eligibile to use the VWP, you will find it nearly impossible to get a B-2 visa, so plan your VWP trips spaced accordingly so that you're not spending too much time in the USA.

Just another query, is it perfectly legal to marry on an ESTA visa, I found mixed answers for this on other forums.
Yes, it's perfectly legal.

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You will not be visiting on a visa, you will be visiting on the Visa Waiver (no visa required) Program.
I will visiting on an ESTA visa ...
Probably not. As Rene noted, same-sex marriage does not provide a basis for immigrating to the USA.
Also do you know whether this could affect future visits to america after we are married?
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Oct 25th 2012 at 8:22 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The 90-day stay allowed by the VWP isn't long enough? 90 days is longer than most people could be away from their home. What would make it difficult for you to get a B2 visa isn't your same-sex marriage to a US citizen, it's that if you can stay in the USA for as long as 6 months you may have little or no reason to leave at all.
Many people incorrectly conflate marriage with immigration. A person who is in the USA can get married in the USA, no matter what their immigration status.
Just another query, is it perfectly legal to marry on [the VWP], I found mixed answers for this on other forums.
Regards, JEff
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Probably not. As Rene noted, same-sex marriage does not provide a basis for immigrating to the USA.

Regards, JEff
Which is unfortunate. It should be noted that the outcome of the election may influence whether DOMA is further depreciated and if any moves are made to let same-sex marriages provide such a basis. Romney seems in favor of defending DOMA, Obama is not. Even with an Obama victory any reform is likely to be slow.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you all.

I was considering a 6 month stay if my work would have allowed it. I will just use the ESTA visa for visits.

I have been watching the progress of the DOMA subject. Unfortunately it looks like it will take a long time before any decision is reached. Till then I need to win the lottery to even consider living in America
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:24 pm

Again, there is no such thing as "the ESTA visa". You will be visiting without a visa of any kind.

Regards, JEff

I will just use the ESTA visa for visits.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The other consideration is the IRS and significant presence, if you're spending a lot of visits to the US, the IRS will want a slice.

You also mentioned "if work allowed it", are you talking about taking a sabbatical? Because you wouldn't be allowed to work in the US remotely for a UK company, even if you were paid in the UK.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody has mentioned the obvious, moving to the UK.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 12:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Nobody has mentioned the obvious, moving to the UK.
Nobody mentioned moving to the US either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.