Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Horrible maternity leave

Horrible maternity leave

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:16 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrible maternity leave

Originally Posted by Sally
Davy seems to be saying back to the kitchen for women...no surprises there.
Really ???
Where have I said that ???

I suppose if you can't think of a sensible counter argument you'll just start making stuff up - you'll be calling me racist next....

If you are going to have kids you really should be prepared to pay for them yourself, and bring them up yourself as best you can. Having kids and expecting the government to pay or assist is hardly very sensible, is it ??
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:22 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I don't have numbers, and that's not the point. I'm sure the vast majority of companies don't treat their employees as well as they should/could. That doesn't make it right.
It doesn't make it right, but companies are set up to make money, not to 'be right'.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:26 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I did not see one reference on the dol.gov website refering to pregnancy as a temporary disability in relation to FMLA. Unless your doctor has referred to your pregnancy as a disability and has done so in writing, it's probably not in your best interests to refer to your pregnancy as a "disability", especially to your manager.

If your doctor thinks you should not work for the four weeks proir to the birth and you wish to stop working in that time, you should ask your doctor to provide a letter explaining his concerns and the reasons why.

NC Penguin
I would rather not call my pregnancy a disability at all. But that's what doctors and employers call it in this state and that's how I qualify for the 'temporary disability pay" from the state of New Jersey which is basically state maternity pay for the period that your doctor considers you unable to work which is 4 weeks prior and 6 weeks aftre due date for normal pegnancy.

See link:

http://www.state.nj.us/labor/tdi/preg.html

There are 2 state forms with medical reasons which are being filled out by my doctor. I will have to give these to HR.

I am not just doing whatever I please, these are the procedures for maternity leave in New Jersey.

The whole point of my OP is that I am following due process but my boss wants to side-step this and get me to take less time off, which I think is out of order especially as has been unprofessional by talking about how times have changed and I how need to adapt to the US. As far as I can see, I have adapted to the NJ family leave procedures. If times have changed so much why do they have these family leave laws?

I just found out a woman who is due the same time as me in another department is leaving work 4 weeks before her due date with no hassles from her boss whatsoever.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Really ???

If you are going to have kids you really should be prepared to pay for them yourself, and bring them up yourself as best you can. Having kids and expecting the government to pay or assist is hardly very sensible, is it ??
Do you have even an inkling of what bringing up children involves?

Evidently you do not, because otherwise you would not begrudge parents the help they are getting from governments - optimal in Scandinavia, just about adequate in the UK, but virtually non-existent in the US.

A woman wants to take 4 paltry months of to care for her baby - most of them UNPAID!!! - and she is accused of jeopardising the business? Assuming she has two kids, that will be 8 lousy months out of a working life of 40+ years!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

If my boss could get along without me for 22 weeks, I'd be ashamed to go back! Why on earth would you have someone on the payroll who the company can afford to do without for nearly six months out of the year?

I don't think companies should mistreat employees, but I also think that employees shouldn't bite the hand that feeds. You are entitled by law to that much time off and your boss shouldn't act like an ass if you decide to take the full amount. (you could have given more warning though ) ) Try to understand his position, your early weeks and months with your newborn are extremely important, but he probably thinks his job is pretty important and if you are any kind of employee, your being gone that long will have a negative impact on his performance.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

In her previous marriage my wife worked for Humana in a mid level position... she had to work up to AND including the day she was induced and was back AT work 2 weeks later.... I find that sickening.

She won't be working AT ALL when we have more kids (this year hopefully).

In my opinion children need as MUCH attention as you can give them as EARLY as you can provide it.

US law provides for X amount of time... I will be taking ALL of it.

to the OP - stand your ground. Maximise your time off with your baby, you WILL regret it otherwise as its likely to be the longest amount of time you get with you baby until you retire.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:10 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Elvira
Do you have even an inkling of what bringing up children involves?

Evidently you do not, because otherwise you would not begrudge parents the help they are getting from governments - optimal in Scandinavia, just about adequate in the UK, but virtually non-existent in the US.

A woman wants to take 4 paltry months of to care for her baby - most of them UNPAID!!! - and she is accused of jeopardising the business? Assuming she has two kids, that will be 8 lousy months out of a working life of 40+ years!
I was waiting for you to make some kind of hysterical post - must have been a struggle for you to hold back for so long.
I have made no comment about the OP specifically.
Some people have stated that it is probably naive to expect any help from your employer or anyone over this for that matter.
No-one is disputing that a mother (or father) should be able to spend as long with their newborn as they want, but why would anyone expect their employer to pay for any of that time, be it directly or indirectly ????

What if I decide that I don't want to start a family, but instead want to buy a ferrari - should I expect government assistance - of course I shouldn't - so why then should I expect it if I chose to start a family without being able to shoulder the burden with my spouse.

Just look back on what you've said - its ridiculous, utterly ridiculous - you are advocating a dependency culture and rubbishing the need for people to attain some level of self-sufficiency.

Like you said earlier - you reap what you sow........
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:12 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Anything with a Union... lol

You could try these for starters: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...007/full_list/

I think there's more than people realise; e.g. Florida Power and Light paid for my neighbour's education, now he makes $150,000 a year repairing electrical distribution equipment.

Note to self: Get job at FPL.

EDIT: <- man this smiley sucks, looks like Sylvester Stallone on the toilet.

Yeah, working for a power company that is guarenteed a profit no matter what they spend... on the backs of their poor customers who HAVE to use their monopolistic service is wonderful. I love paying $200/month for electric thatactually only costs them pennies.

As for the 'great companies with Unions, one only has to look at the Big 3 auto makers and their suppliers to see how well they are doing (GM/Ford on the verge of bancruptcy, Delphi, Visteon, Dana, Tower Automotive etc already in the crapper)... all union I believe, with utterly unbelivable wages and work rules- that in a large part have driven the formerly union jobs off shore.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:12 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Anything with a Union... lol

You could try these for starters: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...007/full_list/

I think there's more than people realise; e.g. Florida Power and Light paid for my neighbour's education, now he makes $150,000 a year repairing electrical distribution equipment.

Note to self: Get job at FPL.

EDIT: <- man this smiley sucks, looks like Sylvester Stallone on the toilet.

Yeah, working for a power company that is guarenteed a profit no matter what they spend... on the backs of their poor customers who HAVE to use their monopolistic service is wonderful. I love paying $200/month for electric thatactually only costs them pennies.

As for the 'great companies with Unions', one only has to look at the Big 3 auto makers and their suppliers to see how well they are doing (GM/Ford on the verge of bancruptcy, Delphi, Visteon, Dana, Tower Automotive etc already in the crapper)... all union I believe, with utterly unbelivable wages and work rules- that in a large part have driven the formerly union jobs off shore.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:13 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by USBound
In her previous marriage my wife worked for Humana in a mid level position... she had to work up to AND including the day she was induced and was back AT work 2 weeks later.... I find that sickening.

She won't be working AT ALL when we have more kids (this year hopefully).

In my opinion children need as MUCH attention as you can give them as EARLY as you can provide it.

US law provides for X amount of time... I will be taking ALL of it.

to the OP - stand your ground. Maximise your time off with your baby, you WILL regret it otherwise as its likely to be the longest amount of time you get with you baby until you retire.
Wow - shock horror - someone who is actually intending to plan and coordinate the bringing of a new life into the world by getting into a position where one of the parents doesn't necessarily have to work first - what a novel idea.
You are to be applauded for your mature and responsible approach to this.

Now the sarcastic bit....
I wonder why you would bother though when you could just sit there and have your employer, colleagues and government cover your ass for you
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:28 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

No-one is disputing that a mother (or father) should be able to spend as long with their newborn as they want, but why would anyone expect their employer to pay for any of that time, be it directly or indirectly ????
The reason employers pay for maternity leave is because half the workforce are female and a large proportion of them will have children during their working lives. So to retain valuable staff, maternity benefits are not a bad thing. In the same way that other benefits like health, dental, subsidised gym membership, on-site day care etc are good. One can also argue about why employers should pay for health benefits, shouldn't the emnployee he responsible for his/her own health?

By the way, I don't care about being paid, just want the time off. My boss is actually willing to pay me full for 2 months as an incentive to come back early but I value the time off more so would rather have 20 weeks off unpaid. I don't want to take his pay and then take the extra time off anyway, he might get even more pissed off then. So I am being honest with him and let him keep his money. I find Americans generally avoid taking unpaid leave, that's probably why most of the women in my office only took the minimum time off with state maternity benefits and then came back after 6 weeks.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:49 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK paid maternity leave is going up from 6 months to 9 months from April, and to 1 year by the end of the current parliament.. Try explaining this to people here, they look at you like you are crazy..
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I was waiting for you to make some kind of hysterical post - must have been a struggle for you to hold back for so long.
I have made no comment about the OP specifically.
Some people have stated that it is probably naive to expect any help from your employer or anyone over this for that matter.

What if I decide that I don't want to start a family, but instead want to buy a ferrari - should I expect government assistance - of course I shouldn't - so why then should I expect it if I chose to start a family without being able to shoulder the burden with my spouse.

Just look back on what you've said - its ridiculous, utterly ridiculous - you are advocating a dependency culture and rubbishing the need for people to attain some level of self-sufficiency.

Like you said earlier - you reap what you sow........
So now you are equating bringing up the next generation (you know - the people who are going to keep the economy running when you are retired, and wipe your ass when you become to feable to do so )....... with purchasing a Ferrari??

Wow. I mean........ words fail me. But clearly you are an idiot.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:55 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
In the UK paid maternity leave is going up from 6 months to 9 months from April, and to 1 year by the end of the current parliament.. Try explaining this to people here, they look at you like you are crazy..
That's crazy.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anabella
i have to say imo that is going from one extreme to the other

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.