Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Horrible maternity leave

Horrible maternity leave

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:49 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrible maternity leave

Originally Posted by Rete
As an American mom, I'm not putting you down for wanting to be with your new borne for such a length of time but curious why you qualify for disability for 4 weeks prior to giving birth? AFAIK, pregnancy is not a disability. I've known of people unable to get disability coverage for chemo treatments that make them to ill to go to work.

I understand your boss saying he is losing money when you are out. That's because someone has to cover for you when you're gone. If they have to hire a temp, it is costing them and the work will not be done in the same manner that you would be doing it.

Regardless, congratulations on the impending birth of your child.

And yes, I was one of those that worked until 1 week before delivery and returned to work 2 weeks after only to give it up entirely a month later.

The OP may be getting the terminology wrong when referring to "disability". She's probably referring to her FMLA rights (I hope she qualifies).

NC Penguin
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
LMFAO! I had to re-read this a few times to make sure you weren't just being a sarcastic git.

But no, you're just a git.

You really have bought into all the worst aspects of American business practice, haven't you?

I would continue my rant by deriding your vile "employers are doing their employees a favor by employing them" shite, but you've drunk the Coolaid, so there's no helping you.
Agreed... good businesses plan for this type of thing whenever they hire someone who might get pregnant (yes that's all females under a particular age).

If a business say they can't cope, or they say you can't have all that your entitled to off, they probably aren't great to work for.

We've got an accountant off at one of our offices; she'd been training her temporary replacement for the last two months before she went on maternity leave; and I doubt she'll be back for another 3 months or more.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:09 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The OP may be getting the terminology wrong when referring to "disability". She's probably referring to her FMLA rights (I hope she qualifies).

NC Penguin
The term "disability" is not really at the discretion of the patient but more so the physician. If a woman has certain pregnancy related complications such as:

Gestational Diabetes
Preeclampsia
Gestational hypertension
Pre-term labor
Anemia

etc
etc

Then she would certainly be considered as disabled as far as work goes. There are many reasons why a pregnant woman should not be working. If her physician takes her off work for medical reasons then ... IMO ... she is certainly disabled and should be allowed disability benefits.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:32 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Neathborn
Sorry you are having such a difficult time on the maternity leave. I have to ask though, is 7 weeks prior to your due date the first time that you have discussed maternity leave with your boss?
He's known I am pregnant since September (end of my first trimester) but I guess he assumed I would just take the standard 6 weeks off until I told him about my exact maternity leave plans in December.

Stupid me thought the 12 weeks family leave wouldn't be an issue. Legally you only have to goive 30 days notice for family leave and I have given him 3 months.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:42 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
As an American mom, I'm not putting you down for wanting to be with your new borne for such a length of time but curious why you qualify for disability for 4 weeks prior to giving birth? AFAIK, pregnancy is not a disability. I've known of people unable to get disability coverage for chemo treatments that make them to ill to go to work.

I understand your boss saying he is losing money when you are out. That's because someone has to cover for you when you're gone. If they have to hire a temp, it is costing them and the work will not be done in the same manner that you would be doing it.

Regardless, congratulations on the impending birth of your child.

And yes, I was one of those that worked until 1 week before delivery and returned to work 2 weeks after only to give it up entirely a month later.

I agree pregnancy is not a disability but that's what they call it in the US, a temporary disability. I qualify for 4 weeks before birth because my doctor thinks after that it is not healthy for me to work but I can choose to if I want to. In most other countries, women leave work 4-6 weeks before birth. It just gives you time to rest and get ready for the baby and most babies arrive anytime from 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after the due date, not on the due date. I don't really want to go into labour at work, but that's just me. I can understand why some women want to work until their due date but your boss has no right to ask you to work if you have a doctor's note, which is what my boss is doing.

As for my boss saying it is costing him money, he is stating the obvious. If he's that bothered he shouldn't hire women of childbearing age.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:48 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
LMFAO! I had to re-read this a few times to make sure you weren't just being a sarcastic git.

But no, you're just a git.

You really have bought into all the worst aspects of American business practice, haven't you?

I would continue my rant by deriding your vile "employers are doing their employees a favor by employing them" shite, but you've drunk the Coolaid, so there's no helping you.
Its a bit over the top I'd agree, but no more ridiculous than the modern perception that women can raise a family and have a full career.
They are both full time jobs and the notion that the average man or woman could do both, and do them to them to a high standard is nonsense - its time that people got real.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:00 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
If a business say they can't cope, or they say you can't have all that your entitled to off, they probably aren't great to work for.

We've got an accountant off at one of our offices; she'd been training her temporary replacement for the last two months before she went on maternity leave; and I doubt she'll be back for another 3 months or more.
And who is paying for that......the business ??

Let's not be naive here - a business exists for one simple reason - to make money. If you happen to work for a caring, sharing employer then that's great, but its not the norm so why pretend otherwise.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:05 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I agree pregnancy is not a disability but that's what they call it in the US, a temporary disability. I qualify for 4 weeks before birth because my doctor thinks after that it is not healthy for me to work but I can choose to if I want to. In most other countries, women leave work 4-6 weeks before birth. It just gives you time to rest and get ready for the baby and most babies arrive anytime from 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after the due date, not on the due date. I don't really want to go into labour at work, but that's just me. I can understand why some women want to work until their due date but your boss has no right to ask you to work if you have a doctor's note, which is what my boss is doing.

As for my boss saying it is costing him money, he is stating the obvious. If he's that bothered he shouldn't hire women of childbearing age.
I did not see one reference on the dol.gov website refering to pregnancy as a temporary disability in relation to FMLA. Unless your doctor has referred to your pregnancy as a disability and has done so in writing, it's probably not in your best interests to refer to your pregnancy as a "disability", especially to your manager.

If your doctor thinks you should not work for the four weeks proir to the birth and you wish to stop working in that time, you should ask your doctor to provide a letter explaining his concerns and the reasons why.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:05 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
And who is paying for that......the business ??

Let's not be naive here - a business exists for one simple reason - to make money. If you happen to work for a caring, sharing employer then that's great, but its not the norm so why pretend otherwise.
Which is why all decent countries offer state-funded maternity pay...
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:11 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Elvira
As far as I am aware there are major differences between countries and businesses - like I said - a business has one primary purpose......

However if you want to talk about the attitude of countries to childcare let's expand the discussion somewhat.
The biggest problem on the planet today is over population - pretty much everything else can be tracked back to the fact that there are too many people on the planet. Yet due to economics (particularly the economics associated with an ageing population) many developed countries actually pay people to procreate - unbelievable.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:12 am
Thinking about it

Who pays for the business to get in and train up a temp ???
Or maybe the workload is just spread amongst existing staff and they are the ones who 'pay' for the maternity leave.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Who pays for the business to get in and train up a temp ???
Or maybe the workload is just spread amongst existing staff and they are the ones who 'pay' for the maternity leave.
There have been plenty of studies showing that businesses that adopt family-friendly policies reap benefits in terms of emplyee loyalty.

As for over-population and all that: are you seriously suggesting that people ought to be discouraged from having children?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:21 am
Thinking about it

There have been plenty of studies showing that businesses that adopt family-friendly policies reap benefits in terms of emplyee loyalty.

As for over-population and all that: are you seriously suggesting that people ought to be discouraged from having children?
Your first point is open to debate, but fair enough - in many positions you're probably right - for many low-skilled positions employee loyalty isn't so important. Also the whole employee loyalty thing is a bit of a myth - sure its nice to have a good employer, but offer a lot of people a few quid extra and they'll be straight out the door.

As for the second point - it mightn't be a bad idea, but maybe for starters they should just settle for not encouraging people to have kids.
All this crap about cutting carbon emissions, etc - wonder if anyone has ever researched the impact of growing population on global warming - surely investigating that would be preferable to making a token effort by trying to stop people flying......let's be realistic - more people = more pollution, less natural resources, more wars - not much good comes of it actually - unless you count that satisfying of the ego's of the selfish and self-obsessed.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:27 am
Homebody

Your first point is open to debate, but fair enough - in many positions you're probably right - for many low-skilled positions employee loyalty isn't so important. Also the whole employee loyalty thing is a bit of a myth - sure its nice to have a good employer, but offer a lot of people a few quid extra and they'll be straight out the door.

As for the second point - it mightn't be a bad idea, but maybe for starters they should just settle for not encouraging people to have kids.
All this crap about cutting carbon emissions, etc - wonder if anyone has ever researched the impact of growing population on global warming - surely investigating that would be preferable to making a token effort by trying to stop people flying......let's be realistic - more people = more pollution, less natural resources, more wars - not much good comes of it actually - unless you count that satisfying of the ego's of the selfish and self-obsessed.
Okay, so how are you going to ensure that there will be people to support and care for tomorrow's elderly (that's you and me, mate!!)?

Immigration? Discourage the natives from having kids but instead import healthy young people from Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia etc?

I bet that would go down well
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I think the amount of time you are taking off is ridiculous, 9 or 10 of our friends have had babies in the last year and no-one took more than 6-8 weeks off
You wouldn't like Sweden then, because don't they give out 3 years maternity leave, though I think the government picks up the tab after x amount of time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.