Reload this Page >

Homecoming Dance

Homecoming Dance

Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:50 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homecoming Dance

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
It is a lot more casual here than the prom. It seems that the girls like the boys to buy them a homecoming "mum" with all the bells and whistles on it. (and are usually IMO ugly!)

My daughter went to all her high school homecoming dances but my son wasn't into it at all.

http://mumsrus.tripod.com/sitebuilde...g.w300h842.jpg
Bejesus WTF is that??!!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jumping doris
It was our homecoming dance last night.
This is what happens here:

Boy asks girl to be his date.
Assuming she says yes.....

He asks what colour dress she will be wearing and buys a corsage in that colour. Usually here it is a wrist corsage.
Sometimes the corsage comes with a buttonhole for him (called a buttoniere here) sometimes it doesn't so you need to check that.

Generally here the girl would buy the buttonhole seperately.

Homecoming is very formal here and the girls wear long dresses (although this year there were a few short ones) and the boys wear suits and ties. The boy will ususally match his tie to the colour of the girls dress.

They usually arrange to go to homecoming with a group of friends and they all get together at someones house for photo's first and parents go to that.
We hosted the photos yesterday and so we provided beer, wine, soda and nibbles etc.

Then they all go off for dinner and the boy pays.
Then it's on to the dance followed by the after party at someone elses house.

In January we have the Sadie Hawkins dance and then the girls ask the boys and pay for dinner. That too is very formal here and the girls wear short cocktail dresses but in other areas Sadies is much more informal.

It is quite an education!
Oh God that sounds complicated.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It all depends on your school. In today's terms, our homecoming dance was business formal and our prom was black-tie formal. Our Sadie Hawkins dance was jeans and socks (technically a 'sock hop' because they have it on the gym floor and don't want you to scuff things up) but at my school it was called a 'Mr. Irresistible' dance.

As I didn't get asked, three other Star Trek fans and I formed a one-night club called 'The Resistibles' and just ended up at the video arcade playing Asteroids until the end of the evening.
Who's Sadie Hawkins??
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KJ2007
What you described is exactly what went on in my school. We had "Homecoming" in the fall and "Coming Home" (get it reversed? not that funny) in the spring. The only real difference between the two was who asked who. (Homecoming = boys ask, Cominghome = girls ask)

The prom is reserved for seniors generally, though they may choose to ask an underclassmen to go with them. Homecoming and Sadie Hawkins, etc. are for all students.

Sounds like a pretty good description to me - generally formal dress - a smidge less so than the prom, but not by too much.
Now I'm really confused
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Make sure he's bathed and a corsage wouldn't go amiss.
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I guess actually wearing some clothes as well might help....................

That's all you need to know........
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Thanks folks - I'll let you know how it goes
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:15 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Oh God that sounds complicated.
Not really because they organise it all themselves.
They sort out where they are eating, book it and get themselves there, then onto the dance and then onto any party afterwards.

If they need any parents to drive then they ask and sort out a rota so that no-one ends up driving twice.
Teaching good organisational skills

The only time they might have a limo is for the senior prom but my daughter didn't bother.

Back in the UK my eldest daughter's high school had been having a prom for the last 12 years.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:20 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Who's Sadie Hawkins??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadie_Hawkins_dance

In the United States, the Sadie Hawkins dance (also known as a snowball, Morp, vice-versa, turnabout, TWIRP, or a Tolo) is a school dance, usually occurring in high schools, in which female students invite male students. This is in opposition of normal school dance traditions, such as prom, where male students invite female students.

Traditionally, the Sadie Hawkins dance occurs during the autumn in November, or in some places January or February. The Sadie Hawkins dance is one of three dances that many high schools hold, the other two dances being prom and homecoming. Some schools simply hold regular dances in which certain songs are "snowball" or "Sadie Hawkins" songs in which girls choose whom to dance with.

The Sadie Hawkins dance is named after the Li'l Abner comic strip character Sadie Hawkins. November 15 was Sadie Hawkins day, when the unmarried women of Dogpatch got to chase the bachelors and marry the ones they caught. In America this caught on quickly and evolved into a dance where the women got to invite a man of their choice.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks - I'll let you know how it goes
Don't worry, the kids are responsible for the planning - the parents just provide the funding. If he's never ordered flowers before then you could help him navigate through that .... the idea of matching the corsage to her dress is cute but a white corsage is also foolproof. If he's shy then maybe you could call the girl's mother and ask what color the dress is if you really wanted to make it match. Feel free to ask the flower shop what everybody else is doing - they're always "in the know" about these things. Traditionally, the girls are the ones that have all of the crazy stuff to do (hair, nails, shopping etc) all the boys need is a nice suit.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Don't worry, the kids are responsible for the planning - the parents just provide the funding. If he's never ordered flowers before then you could help him navigate through that .... the idea of matching the corsage to her dress is cute but a white corsage is also foolproof. If he's shy then maybe you could call the girl's mother and ask what color the dress is if you really wanted to make it match. Feel free to ask the flower shop what everybody else is doing - they're always "in the know" about these things. Traditionally, the girls are the ones that have all of the crazy stuff to do (hair, nails, shopping etc) all the boys need is a nice suit.
Thanks, he is shy (the girl asked him), but he seems quite keen now, although he hates formal wear.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:04 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, he is shy (the girl asked him), but he seems quite keen now, although he hates formal wear.
He sounds sweet. When is the big night?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:14 am
WTF?

Okay, I'll admit it .... I've been fretting over this.

Please just take this as an overbearing aunty and nothing else.

Remind him to use his manners and open the door for his date whenever the occasion arises. Also, arm him with a credit/debit card for anything unforseen..... If they go out for a meal after the dance he should offer to pay for him and his date.

Don't worry about any of the other nonsense - there is nothing to be gained by competing and trying to keep up with the neighbors. The most important thing is that he feels confident and looks his best.

And of course ... let him know how much you love him and how proud you are of him.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

And be sure to embarass him with lots of pics of him and his date.

Hope he has a great time.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'll admit it .... I've been fretting over this.

Please just take this as an overbearing aunty and nothing else.

Remind him to use his manners and open the door for his date whenever the occasion arises. Also, arm him with a credit/debit card for anything unforseen..... If they go out for a meal after the dance he should offer to pay for him and his date.

Don't worry about any of the other nonsense - there is nothing to be gained by competing and trying to keep up with the neighbors. The most important thing is that he feels confident and looks his best.

And of course ... let him know how much you love him and how proud you are of him.

Ahh... Auntie Leslie you are so sweet

I have to go to a Junior Service League Ball in a couple of weeks, what's your advise for that....cos I don't really want to go but they are raising money for my volunteer group so we are guests of honour. I am so not a dress up person
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:14 am
Account Closed

He sounds sweet. When is the big night?
Nov 3rd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.