Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

holiday in america

holiday in america

Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday in america

Originally Posted by newenglander
The people in Beverly will know lots of good things to see and do. If they want to take you to ROCKPORT--Go! Same for Gloucester and Newburyport -- not to be missed. Each of those towns has fab little restaurants too but unfortunately I can't remember the names of them!!! ...
so what exactly is there in Newburyport? had an interview down there once a few years back, well over the phone, but it's a bit away so never bothered explore the place, nor gloucester....

and wouldn't touch TJ Maxx and the cohorts with a shitty stick after their fun little credit card balls up that they kept hidden for a while.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:17 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: holiday in america

The trains are quite expensive if you're travelling between Boston and NYC.

A fun and cheap way is to go on the Chinatown buses for as little as $15 each way:

http://www.nychinatown.org/directory/m_bus.html

http://www.fungwahbus.com/ticket/

Chinatown bus FAQs:

http://www.blacktable.com/gillin031105.htm

PS: If you have a student card, bring it with you as you can often get discounts in art galleries, museums and on some forms of public transport eg. Greyhound buses and Amtrak.

Do you know where you will be staying in NYC? I don't know if you will be staying with friends or need to find cheap accommodation eg. hostels? Here's a reasonably cheap place to stay in Chelsea:

http://www.chelsealodge.com

If this is beyond your budget there are a number of hostels in the city - approx from $38 per night in a dorm with shared facilities....not sure if that's up your street or not but I can post links if you're interested.

Cheap eats: any ethic area eg. Chinatown, Little Korea and plenty of Indian and Turkish places....again can post links if interested...not sure of your likes and dislikes in this area?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
PS: If you have a student card, bring it with you as you can often get discounts in art galleries, museums and on some forms of public transport eg. Greyhound buses and Amtrak.
oh really? that's cool...because around here, and up in Maine, unless it was a local uni student ID, they wouldn't make a difference...and the missus has a shiny, unused Kings College ID
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
so what exactly is there in Newburyport? had an interview down there once a few years back, well over the phone, but it's a bit away so never bothered explore the place, nor gloucester....

and wouldn't touch TJ Maxx and the cohorts with a shitty stick after their fun little credit card balls up that they kept hidden for a while.
http://www.newburyportchamber.org/ Go on here if you want to see what's there. Look at the pictures way down at the bottom. It's touristy in the summer but it's a truly a great year round place to go. It has a thriving business community and I know lots of people who would LOVE to live or work there.

Maybe it's not your cup of tea, maybe you are more urbanized but people around here love it and go there often. Yes, it's away from Boston, but that's part of the attraction -- away from hustle and bustle and noise and crowds. It's also on the border with the state of New Hampshire where there are NO taxes on ANYTHING and living is cheaper than in MA. Live in NH, work in MA.

Gloucester is not as fancy but it's coming up in the world and is a desirable place to live or visit. It's an old fishing village, the real thing.

Essex is boats, boats, boats, antique shops, pretty scenery, and boats and more boats. All of these towns are fun to visit unless you want to see cities. There are PLENTY of cities here, just to the south of Beverly. The whole Boston area is packed with surrounding cities like Cambridge (Harvard and fun places for students), Medford, Malden, Waltham, Burlington, lots more. To a lot of us it's just too crowded down around there and too much stress with the traffic jams and bad drivers.

Most of us here still go to TJ and Marshall's despite the shenanigans -- that's in the past and what's done is done. The expensive stores are TOO MUCH. Maybe you can get up to Freeport Maine or the Kittery Outlets -- I don't know if you're the shopping type but if you are and you want to avoid TJs and Marshalls....then it's just up the coast a ways.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Maybe it's not your cup of tea, maybe you are more urbanized but people around here love it and go there often. Yes, it's away from Boston, but that's part of the attraction -- away from hustle and bustle and noise and crowds. It's also on the border with the state of New Hampshire where there are NO taxes on ANYTHING and living is cheaper than in MA. Live in NH, work in MA.
Freeport is the way to go, 20 mins past Portland, and Portland is worth a visit.

And quiet, could do without that, I'm living in the burbs already, suburban hell I say Hell, the tiny coastal town in Maine we lived in was more busy than where we are now, and that's saying something, even if the population there was tiny in comparison

And I thought NH does have tax, it's property tax that makes up for it...and moving one state to another is enough of a tax headache, I couldn't imagine having to do two taxes every year
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Freeport is the way to go, 20 mins past Portland, and Portland is worth a visit.

And quiet, could do without that, I'm living in the burbs already, suburban hell I say Hell, the tiny coastal town in Maine we lived in was more busy than where we are now, and that's saying something, even if the population there was tiny in comparison

And I thought NH does have tax, it's property tax that makes up for it...and moving one state to another is enough of a tax headache, I couldn't imagine having to do two taxes every year
Yeh, Freeport is fun. The only time I was in Portland it was about 100 degrees so I don't have fond memories of it -- people say it's great though. All I remember is the ice cream.

I didn't know about the property tax in NH -- I know people from my area go up there all the time, especially for cheap booze right over the border. It must be really cheap to register or insure a car up there -- some few people are lucky enough to get away with it. After all, they don't call us TAXachusetts for nothing.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:24 am
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

ok thanks for the tips everyone. im very excited about going shopping in NY. i want to go to the big name shops - i have money to spend so i wanna buy some fancy clothes because who knows when i will come to new york again, maybe never. i read in the other post that brick row india house is a good place to live. when in NY, do i really only need to spend time in the manhatten area to experience the best of the city? i will probably just go and buy a guide book today and work out an itinerary.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:02 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most of what you have seen on the television, and the shops and the lights and the skyscrapers are all in Manhattan. But the city has a whole other world off the island. Do you need to see it? Maybe. Does a tourist to London need to see Camden or Richmond? Maybe.

There is stuff in the bouroughs, and some nice areas as well. They are not as touristy as Manhattan, but you might see something in the guide book that you find interesting so I wouldn't rule out traveling a bit.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
games re bloomin' expensive though...but yeah, worth a peak if you can get some nose bleed tickets...

as for things to do, there's a few things in the wiki, certainly for places to eat and the like.

LOL, Bob. I truly think you must squeeze the penny until it cries "Abuse" I've yet to hear you say anything is inexpensive !!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Manhattan is an island and quite a large one at that

Plenty here to see and do and keep you awestruck and interested for at least 6 months, never mind a week or weekend.

Much depends on your interests, cultural, local, club hopping, sightseeing, shopping, eating, people watching, etc.

There is:

Chinatown
Yorkville
Little Italy
Soho
Greenwich Village - good jazz
The Bowery (ahh maybe not)
The Battery
South Street Seaport
Central Park and Midtown Manhattan
Shopping on Fifth Avenue - Saks, Lord and Taylor, Gucci, Etc.
Bloomies over on Third and 56th I think
Times Square

Bus Tours - jump on, jump off, jump on again all for one price. See Mahattan from the Battery to Harlem and from the Hudson to the East River.

Water Tous - Around the Isle from minutes to hours

World Yacht Dinner Cruise-expensive and best done with a loved one

Originally Posted by JohnStang
ok thanks for the tips everyone. im very excited about going shopping in NY. i want to go to the big name shops - i have money to spend so i wanna buy some fancy clothes because who knows when i will come to new york again, maybe never. i read in the other post that brick row india house is a good place to live. when in NY, do i really only need to spend time in the manhatten area to experience the best of the city? i will probably just go and buy a guide book today and work out an itinerary.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the museums. When my daughter comes home...the next morning she's up early and heads straight for the Met.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't forget the museums. When my daughter comes home...the next morning she's up early and heads straight for the Met.

I prefer the Museum of Natural History, myself. Also love the Bronx Zoo.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I didn't know about the property tax in NH -- I know people from my area go up there all the time, especially for cheap booze right over the border. It must be really cheap to register or insure a car up there -- some few people are lucky enough to get away with it. After all, they don't call us TAXachusetts for nothing.
They've been cracking down on people who register cars and insure up there when they don't live up their...it's stung a few people...but yeah, cheap booze is good if your heading through
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
LOL, Bob. I truly think you must squeeze the penny until it cries "Abuse" I've yet to hear you say anything is inexpensive !!
hehe...true

was looking at tickets, most have all sold out for the season, some home games in around september have seats, $98 for an obstructed view, lovely...but would love to go for a game sometime for the atmosphere....miss the Expo's, because it was so cheap up there, and the whole place was filled with Sox fans from ME and MA.