Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

holiday in america

holiday in america

Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:54 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of
Default holiday in america

hello - i booked up today to see my sister who lives in beverly, massachusetts. i am staying in the USA for 2 weeks. however, i would like to spend 4 days in new york as it is close enough from boston to justify a good visit. as ive never been to new york before, can someone fill me in on must see and must do things to do while i am there. really good places to eat recommendations are welcome to. also if anyone can tell me cool things to do around boston area, and interesting day trip drives around new england that would be nice.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday in america

Do a search of this forum. NYC places of interest have been the talk of the group for the last four or five months. Will give you a good basis for your exploration.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Partystar and the recently ennobled "Lord" Lionheart went to NYC for the first time in the past few months, and both of them started threads looking for information that got a lot of replies.

Vital to plan everything really well though, if you're only going for a few days. You don't want to waste a lot of time criss-crossing the city on the subway!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

It would help if you were more specific about your likes & dislikes, as well as price range. There are thousands of good places to eat in NYC, from hot dog stands to Alain Ducasse.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I would catch a baseball game at Fenway in Boston. Even if you don't like the sport, it's just an event outside where you drink beer and eat disgusting food that should be experienced.

I would visit the Harvard campus and walk around the college town area out there.

I would also emphasize that you should really plan out your trip so as to maximize your time doing things and not crisscrossing the city.

You know, from Boston to Washington DC is known as the 'Northeast Corridor' on the train maps, and there are several major cities all pretty accessible. Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington are all on the same train line. It's 3 hours or so to DC from NY on the fast train, so you may want to consider hitting a couple of major cities while here, just to check it all out.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

games re bloomin' expensive though...but yeah, worth a peak if you can get some nose bleed tickets...

as for things to do, there's a few things in the wiki, certainly for places to eat and the like.

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I would catch a baseball game at Fenway in Boston. Even if you don't like the sport, it's just an event outside where you drink beer and eat disgusting food that should be experienced.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:57 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

foodwise i love italian, but i dont wanna just go to chain restaurants that ive already been to before like olive garden, macaroni grill. i heard that you can go to live tapings of tv shows like the daily show, david letterman, whatever. if this is true that would be great. also, i am going to new york by myself, will this be weird or is it a perfectly safe city to be around by yourself? pricewise, i think im going to new york for an experience, so as long as its not totally outrageous, like over $70 for a meal, i could spend up to that.

Last edited by JohnStang; Apr 5th 2007 at 8:00 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnStang
foodwise i love italian, but i dont wanna just go to chain restaurants that ive already been to before like olive garden, macaroni grill. i heard that you can go to live tapings of tv shows like the daily show, david letterman, whatever. if this is true that would be great. also, i am going to new york by myself, will this be weird or is it a perfectly safe city to be around by yourself? pricewise, i think im going to new york for an experience, so as long as its not totally outrageous, like over $70 for a meal, i could spend up to that.
Letterman has a 'walk up' line which lets in a very very few number of people to make up for the 'no-shows' who don't use their pre-arranged tickets. You have to get there pretty early. Not sure about others but check the websites.

You won't find many chain restaurants in Manhattan (beside McDs). Well, you will, but most places are mom and pop. Much more adventure that way.

NY is not London. Please take a bit to familiarize yourself with where it is you are going to stay and sights to see. Walking around some areas with a tourist map after dark is as effective as having a sign saying "Please Rob Me"
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

foodwise i love italian, but i dont wanna just go to chain restaurants that ive already been to before....
in boston, cafe marlieve....it's in the wiki...well worth it
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There are several daily shows that allow the public into the live tapings....however expect the lines to be long and only a few are admitted. Visitors to NYC stand in line for hours with no avail. They don't usually record on Fridays.

You will be safer in NYC than most major cities in the world. Although it is always wise to be aware of your surroundings and like the above poster said...don't walk around looking at a map...walk with purpose.

There are so many restaurants to choose from you...the only problem you will have is which one. Most are very reasonable...but the real upmarket ones are extremely pricey.

If the weather is good a cruise around Manhattan Island is informative and a very pleasant way to spend a few hours.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:11 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
NY is not London. Please take a bit to familiarize yourself with where it is you are going to stay and sights to see. Walking around some areas with a tourist map after dark is as effective as having a sign saying "Please Rob Me"
Please. NY is far safer than London.
http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=9641
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Still parts you wouldn't want to get lost in though ain't there, and I think that was the point being made...
Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Don't make me laugh!

(It's published in the AMERICAN Spectator, so it *must* be true...)
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:45 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

hello - i booked up today to see my sister who lives in beverly, massachusetts. i am staying in the USA for 2 weeks. however, i would like to spend 4 days in new york as it is close enough from boston to justify a good visit. as ive never been to new york before, can someone fill me in on must see and must do things to do while i am there. really good places to eat recommendations are welcome to. also if anyone can tell me cool things to do around boston area, and interesting day trip drives around new england that would be nice.
Hi !

Last edited by Haggerwood; Apr 6th 2007 at 1:47 am.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

The people in Beverly will know lots of good things to see and do. If they want to take you to ROCKPORT--Go! Same for Gloucester and Newburyport -- not to be missed. Each of those towns has fab little restaurants too but unfortunately I can't remember the names of them!!! Essex too, antique shops by the mile and you can eat at the Village (something or other, you can't miss it). You can go to those little towns and just ask anybody and they'll tell you. Great little shops and second hand book shops to look around in too. Plum Island is part of Newburyport and has wonderful scenery, rare birds, and YUMMY eating. Plum Island has a great beach but only Newenglanders go in the water before July. brrrrrrrrrrr.

There's lots of walking around to do in those little towns but for the sheer beauty of it you might also want to go walking around in $$$Marblehead$$$ or $$$$Manchester-By-The-Sea$$$$$.

I wouldn't even bother with Boston but then I'm not a city person. If you must, then take the tour bus and you can jump off an back on again. They give an excellent tour.

Definitely get to NY -- it is ENORMOUS and there is no place like it. Their museums are the greatest and just being in NY city gives you a feeling like no other. It's an exciting place to be.

Oh--one thing that I have noticed is that US clothing is much cheaper than clothing in England and there is ZERO tax on it. Get them to take you to the North Shore Mall. For better prices, the Liberty Tree Mall is across the road. Don't miss Marshall's and T.J. Maxx either for great deals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.