Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

Wikiposts

Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

Originally Posted by N1cky
Let me know if you discover any good trails that allow dogs (on leash is fine). I get so little time to walk now, and I certainly don't have time to hike, and then walk the dog later on. Plus I feel guilty if I walk without her. It's a real PITA there are so few places that allow them.
Really?! wow. I've been hiking every day in Tilden Park or Redwood Park, and I'm shocked that dogs are allowed OFF LEASH on most of them! I assumed this was the norm. Obviously these parks are too far for you to go to, but I would expect the 'rules' to be similar. I'm heading off later today to one of them, I'll try to take some pics of the signs.

Here's an extract from the rules for Redwood, which I assume are standard:

http://www.ebparks.org/Assets/_Nav_C...dwood+text.pdf

RESOURCE PROTECTION AND DOGS
DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH in the Stream
Trail Resource Protection Area. The creek in Redwood
Regional Park has been designated a Resource
Protection Area to enhance the habitat of the rainbow
trout and the riparian community. This area includes
the Stream and Bridle trails from Redwood Road north
to Skyline Gate. Please keep your dog(s) on leash (6-
foot maximum length) at all times.

The vegetation that makes up the riparian corridor
provides shade, food, and protection. The fi rst step in
enhancing trout habitat is restoring vegetation to the
creek banks. To help with this vital restoration, please
observe the following when in the Resource Protection
Area along Redwood Creek and the Stream Trail:
• Stay on the defi ned trail.
Keep dogs on leash.
• Clean up feces deposited by your dog(s).
• Keep out of the creek and off the creek banks.

DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH in the Serpentine
Prairie Resource Protection Area along the Dunn
and Serpentine Prairie trails. The leash requirement is
for designated portions of these trails, about 1.5 miles
from the Trudeau Center south to the Redwood Equestrian
Arena at the southern end of the prairie.

Pets must be leashed 200 feet from any trail or park entrance.
Pets must be leashed in parking lots, picnic areas, developed
areas such as lawns and play fi elds, and on some trails. They must
be under voice control at all times.

BICYCLES may be ridden on designated trails and fi re roads.
Please observe trail etiquette, with horses, then hikers, having
the right-of-way.
CAMPING is allowed in designated areas with a permit. Call
888-EBPARKS or 888-327-2757, option 2 for reservations and
permits.
DOGS must be leashed at all times in developed areas and
in posted areas of the park. Dog walkers are required to
clean up after their dogs and to remove dog waste bags from
the trails. Dogs are required to be on leash on Stream and Bridle
trails. Dogs are permitted in Huckleberry Regional Preserve
only if leashed and on the Skyline National Trail.

HORSES Observe trail etiquette, and let other trail users
The implication of the above is, you have to leash in the designated areas, but otherwise, off-lease is ok. And the even bigger implication is, dogs are allowed leashed or unleashed 'everywhere'
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know if you discover any good trails that allow dogs (on leash is fine). I get so little time to walk now, and I certainly don't have time to hike, and then walk the dog later on. Plus I feel guilty if I walk without her. It's a real PITA there are so few places that allow them.
This site is fantastic:
http://www.everytrail.com
Here's an example of a search result for EBRPD Redwood (East Bay Regional Park District Redwood)
http://www.everytrail.com/search.php?q=ebrpd+redwood

People post their GPS-tracked hikes, and pictures. The pictures give a great insight into the trail.

This is one of my favorites: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1109927
Look at the beautiful pictures! I never dreamed I would find this type of environment within a few miles of a freeway, and in Oakland of all places!

I can only imagine you would find even better trails on the Peninsula near you, given you have that massive range of mountains between you and the ocean.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:14 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Really?! wow. I've been hiking every day in Tilden Park or Redwood Park, and I'm shocked that dogs are allowed OFF LEASH on most of them! I assumed this was the norm. Obviously these parks are too far for you to go to, but I would expect the 'rules' to be similar. I'm heading off later today to one of them, I'll try to take some pics of the signs.

Here's an extract from the rules for Redwood, which I assume are standard:

http://www.ebparks.org/Assets/_Nav_C...dwood+text.pdf

The implication of the above is, you have to leash in the designated areas, but otherwise, off-lease is ok. And the even bigger implication is, dogs are allowed leashed or unleashed 'everywhere'
That's interesting, nearly all the trails around here, don't allow them at all, Fremont Older is the main exception we have found. I randomly just did a quick search, and this is typical of the usual posting.

In brief:
Redwoods, creeks, and waterfalls -- that's what this loop is all about.

Rules:
Most trails are open to hikers and equestrians. Bikes are only permitted on fire roads. Some trails are designated hiking only. Dogs are not permitted on trails (leashed dogs are allowed on paved park roads).

Maybe we just need to drive in the opposite direction. We often get to places where we think dogs are allowed, and then find out they are only allowed on 1 trail, which is the only one in the park that has no scenery and is infested with bees.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you looked at these sites:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hiki...ient=firefox-a

I would hope you would find something there. Once you find a trail referenced, you could look it up on the 'Every Trail' site I posted above, and decide for yourself if it is worth it. Note - the pictures on the site are GPS-tagged to the map (amazing stuff ...).

That's interesting, nearly all the trails around here, don't allow them at all, Fremont Older is the main exception we have found. I randomly just did a quick search, and this is typical of the usual posting.

In brief:
Redwoods, creeks, and waterfalls -- that's what this loop is all about.

Rules:
Most trails are open to hikers and equestrians. Bikes are only permitted on fire roads. Some trails are designated hiking only. Dogs are not permitted on trails (leashed dogs are allowed on paved park roads).

Maybe we just need to drive in the opposite direction. We often get to places where we think dogs are allowed, and then find out they are only allowed on 1 trail, which is the only one in the park that has no scenery and is infested with bees.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:40 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Have you looked at these sites:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hiki...ient=firefox-a

I would hope you would find something there. Once you find a trail referenced, you could look it up on the 'Every Trail' site I posted above, and decide for yourself if it is worth it. Note - the pictures on the site are GPS-tagged to the map (amazing stuff ...).
Thanks, we have lots of lists and use Every Trail too, it just all seems so hard to organize sometimes. 5 miles walking is probably our limit at the moment, between lack of our fitness and not having the time to do anything more than. It would be nice just to have some local areas that we could just roll up at, without having to drive for an hour each way... I guess we were just spoilt living in the Pennines, we could open the door and be walking in beautiful countryside and not have to worry about the dog. I don't really want to have to plan a day out, I want to say at 3.30 on a Saturday afternoon, come on let's go walk the dog, and be walking at 3.45

Sorry, this sounds like I'm moaning now, but really it's just a gripe at my own ability to get my finger out of my arse.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks, we have lots of lists and use Every Trail too, it just all seems so hard to organize sometimes. 5 miles walking is probably our limit at the moment, between lack of our fitness and not having the time to do anything more than. It would be nice just to have some local areas that we could just roll up at, without having to drive for an hour each way... I guess we were just spoilt living in the Pennines, we could open the door and be walking in beautiful countryside and not have to worry about the dog. I don't really want to have to plan a day out, I want to say at 3.30 on a Saturday afternoon, come on let's go walk the dog, and be walking at 3.45

Sorry, this sounds like I'm moaning now, but really it's just a gripe at my own ability to get my finger out of my arse.
What I've found is, you have to do some up-front work, but in the end it pays off. Last night, for example, I hiked in the 'Briones' park for the third consecutive night. The trail markings are pathetic, and on the first two nights I ended up taking the wrong 'fork' and ending up on dead ends. I am tracking my hikes on 'Strava' (GPS linked app on iPhone), and doing post-mortems on Google Maps, but still struggling to make sense of where I went wrong. But last night - finally - I found the holy grail and ended up hiking for an hour among golden grass and stately oaks (radically different from the Redwood trails, just a few miles to the west). There was a 'full moon rising' to add icing to the cake .

I realize you have kids to look after and a job to do, so you don't have the luxury of time.
Attached Thumbnails Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!-p1020101-sml1200.jpg   Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!-p1020114-sml1200.jpg   Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!-p1020148-sml1200.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it, I've been much the same, and now school is back in, things are all the more hectic. Have your kids started in school this time, how's it going? I was also working out of the LA office Mon-Wed last week, we were probably on the same flight out
We must have been, if you took the morning flight from San Jose!

Yes, kids have started school and having a ball- Los altos school district. The process was seamless albeit I had to give plenty of stuff to proof locality of stay, maybe the OTT approach was due to the school rating (10).

My son wasn't happy initially, after couple of days he started to complain that he has done all these "things" in Edinburgh and why do I have to study with "babies" (he is 5yrs 4months) lol. We argued with the school that he is year 1 ready and they can test him, they admitted that he is year 1 ready and recommend buying books for year 1 to study at home but wouldn't put him in year 1 because of his age!!

After receiving 10k emails a day from the school and constant pestering at drop-offs, wifey is volunteering and seems she has made a few pals so I'm glad. Like I said we are blending in
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 2:57 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Mczaki we've got the same schooling issue. My son is getting 100% on all his work in grade 2 but they won't move him because of his age. Just had "the chat" with him and he understands that to keep up with uk pace we're going t have to do some weekend work, especially in maths. My daughter is in K and although at the top end of the class I'm pleasantly surprised at the standard in k so there are others who are reading etc. she's still not brought home a reading book though! Am I remembering right that you are in Los altos? Went on a field trip to "hidden villa" ther last thurs. thoroughly recommend...felt like being in Greece!