Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HIV ban and guide books

HIV ban and guide books

Old May 17th 2011, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HIV ban and guide books

Just curious, and I know the ban on HIV + visitors to the US has now been lifted, but we have a lot of guidebooks to the USA; the Lonely Planet guide to the whole USA, some area guides and several Time Out city guides. Not one of them mentions the HIV ban even though they pre-date the lifting of the ban and are from a time when it had been in force for many years.

I can kind of understand the Lonely Planet guides not mentioning it as they are (I believe) a US company and maybe wanted to gloss over the ban, but Time Out are a UK company.

Strangely enough, most of the guides have information on local US advocacy groups for HIV + patients! Why would a visitor need to know that if they were banned from being there in the first place?!
Old May 17th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HIV ban and guide books

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Just curious, and I know the ban on HIV + visitors to the US has now been lifted, but we have a lot of guidebooks to the USA; the Lonely Planet guide to the whole USA, some area guides and several Time Out city guides. Not one of them mentions the HIV ban even though they pre-date the lifting of the ban and are from a time when it had been in force for many years.

I can kind of understand the Lonely Planet guides not mentioning it as they are (I believe) a US company and maybe wanted to gloss over the ban, but Time Out are a UK company.
Why would they, when HIV+ people account for only 0.5% of the world's population and 0.1% of the UK's population (Googled for statistics, could be slightly out)? There are significantly larger groups of people who are inadmissible for other reasons.

Strangely enough, most of the guides have information on local US advocacy groups for HIV + patients! Why would a visitor need to know that if they were banned from being there in the first place?!
Slightly odd.
Old May 17th 2011, 5:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You think *Lonley Planet* is a shill for the US tourism industry?
Old May 17th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Neither of those guides could be considered to be an authoritative source of information on US immigration policy and I am pretty sure that neither of them attempt to claim otherwise

Not everyone engaged in HIV advocacy groups has HIV ...

If you really want to know the answer to your question why not ask the people who wrote the guides?
Old May 18th 2011, 5:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You assume that the visitors provided full disclosure.