British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HIV ban and guide books (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hiv-ban-guide-books-717336/)

Squirrel May 17th 2011 11:40 am

HIV ban and guide books

Just curious, and I know the ban on HIV + visitors to the US has now been lifted, but we have a lot of guidebooks to the USA; the Lonely Planet guide to the whole USA, some area guides and several Time Out city guides. Not one of them mentions the HIV ban even though they pre-date the lifting of the ban and are from a time when it had been in force for many years.

I can kind of understand the Lonely Planet guides not mentioning it as they are (I believe) a US company and maybe wanted to gloss over the ban, but Time Out are a UK company.

Strangely enough, most of the guides have information on local US advocacy groups for HIV + patients! Why would a visitor need to know that if they were banned from being there in the first place?!

GeoffM May 17th 2011 12:19 pm

Re: HIV ban and guide books

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9369528)
Just curious, and I know the ban on HIV + visitors to the US has now been lifted, but we have a lot of guidebooks to the USA; the Lonely Planet guide to the whole USA, some area guides and several Time Out city guides. Not one of them mentions the HIV ban even though they pre-date the lifting of the ban and are from a time when it had been in force for many years.

I can kind of understand the Lonely Planet guides not mentioning it as they are (I believe) a US company and maybe wanted to gloss over the ban, but Time Out are a UK company.

Why would they, when HIV+ people account for only 0.5% of the world's population and 0.1% of the UK's population (Googled for statistics, could be slightly out)? There are significantly larger groups of people who are inadmissible for other reasons.

Strangely enough, most of the guides have information on local US advocacy groups for HIV + patients! Why would a visitor need to know that if they were banned from being there in the first place?!

Slightly odd.

meauxna May 17th 2011 5:30 pm

You think *Lonley Planet* is a shill for the US tourism industry? :blink:

md95065 May 17th 2011 9:24 pm

Neither of those guides could be considered to be an authoritative source of information on US immigration policy and I am pretty sure that neither of them attempt to claim otherwise

Not everyone engaged in HIV advocacy groups has HIV ...

If you really want to know the answer to your question why not ask the people who wrote the guides?

AdobePinon May 18th 2011 5:13 am

You assume that the visitors provided full disclosure.