Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hiring a car on visit to the UK

hiring a car on visit to the UK

Old May 4th 2014, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hiring a car on visit to the UK

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Sounds like a great deal. I've used Europcar in the past with good experiences. I even once picked up a car from them at Darlington Railway station on a Sunday afternoon after flying over to Heathrow and getting a train.
Darlo station on a Sunday afternoon? You *are* a brave lad !!

Indeed, Europcar in Darlington, & at Teesside (or whatever they're calling it these days) airport, provides excellent customer service, & decent deals when booked from outside the UK.

S
Old May 4th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Darlo station on a Sunday afternoon? You *are* a brave lad !!

Indeed, Europcar in Darlington, & at Teesside (or whatever they're calling it these days) airport, provides excellent customer service, & decent deals when booked from outside the UK.

S
The only issue I had was arriving a couple of hours earlier than I'd booked the car for. I went to the Eurocar booth in the station and there was a notice on the door saying the office was closed, and it gave a phone number to call for assistance. I called the number and a phone inside the booth started ringing. Not really a problem, just had to hang around for a couple of hours until someone turned up.
Old May 5th 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
The only issue I had was arriving a couple of hours earlier than I'd booked the car for. I went to the Eurocar booth in the station and there was a notice on the door saying the office was closed, and it gave a phone number to call for assistance. I called the number and a phone inside the booth started ringing. Not really a problem, just had to hang around for a couple of hours until someone turned up.

I've never dealt with car rental at the station; I have dealt with Darlington/Local Europcar offices, & they have always been very good. I've decided, over many years' experience, that if I let Darlo station employees treat me as a clueless foreigner ( !!), I get great service If I sound like I know what I'm doing/know where I'm going, they're hopeless.

(For context: Darlington, for my sins, is my "point d'attache" in the UK )

S