Wikiposts

Hi I'm new!

Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I'm new!

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Bankruptcy is no impediment to moving to Australia, not sure where you heard that!
I was confused by that too. I thought you had to be a criminal to move to Australia
Old Dec 29th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrszippy
Hello and Merry Christmas from the UK I'm new here so please be kind to me! My family and I are looking to relocate to the USA. We have a business here in the UK and our plan is to keep this running and open the same business in the USA so we would apply for the L1 visa which we've already looked into. Originally we were looking at Daniel Island in South Carolina (living there and opening business in Charleston) however after much research we're not quite sure. I would love your opinions/ideas of other areas? Before you ask - NO we have never been to the USA but are planning on coming over very soon . Thank You
My OH is starting a new job on Monday with a company based in Daniel Island and we are trying to work out where to move to. I have never been in SC before so not sure where to look. From what I have learned from people on this forum who are familiar with the area, and some friends who have been, is that Mt Pleasant may be a better choice than say perhaps Summerville due to commute times. But on the other hand Summerville property appears to be cheaper. During my OH month long training he is doing in SC, he is going to scope out the areas and see what looks good and what not so good. Perhaps doing a visit before setting anything in stone may be a wise move.
You should also take into account school districts if you have school age kids. I have not heard good things about Charleston schools but Mt Pleasant school district and Dorchester II school district in Summerville are pretty good.

However, knowing that you will be able to get a visa and have the funds to cover moving, healthcare etc, is the best start.

My OH and I had been to the US before moving over here with our kids (ages 4 and 6 at time of move). I had spent a year as an exchange student and we had both had dozens of visits to various States on vacations. I would never move to a country I had not been to before. But that is just my opinion.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 9:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Seems you've gotten some advice to get you going.

What you really need to understand is the visa situation, there have been threads in the immigration forum on folks who have created a US start up of their business, so you can read up their experiences, but it's the renewing that is probably more important.

If you've got a solid business plan and your immigration lawyer thinks it is viable, looking into everything makes sense, it is a waste of time other wise.

Things to consider, but less important right now as your kids are a long way from going to university, nor working even part time, but as L2 kids, they wouldn't be able to work and time in the US without the 3 year UK residency means international rates. US rates aren't cheap either, but ultimately is down to which uni they might go to and if you have greencards at that time or not.

As for where to live in the State/city you are interested in, start out with city-data.com and see what people have said on those locations, but if you want people on BE to help with suggestions you really need to be a little more open.

If you're into out door activities, going to the movies/theatre, the beach, skiing etc what kind of commute do you have in mind, what? kind of budget do you have in mind? Do you want a large house with a pool, or a highrise condo? What kind of business area are you talking about?

All changes the kinds of answers you'll get, so without giving anything, the answers will be pretty meaningless, just as what visa's other people used to get into the US, because they're irrelevant to how you'd do things.