Hi I'm new!

Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

mrszippy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi I'm new!

Hello and Merry Christmas from the UK I'm new here so please be kind to me! My family and I are looking to relocate to the USA. We have a business here in the UK and our plan is to keep this running and open the same business in the USA so we would apply for the L1 visa which we've already looked into. Originally we were looking at Daniel Island in South Carolina (living there and opening business in Charleston) however after much research we're not quite sure. I would love your opinions/ideas of other areas? Before you ask - NO we have never been to the USA but are planning on coming over very soon . Thank You
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I'm new!

Really? You want to open a business here and you've never even visited? Why did you pick the US? and what sort of business is it?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Hi I'm new!

Originally Posted by mrszippy
well, truth be known we'd like to live in Australia but wont get in as we've been bankrupt! so looking at USA we're currently in North Wales but had enough!

And you think you stand a chance in the USA

Think again!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

yes why not? We have a successful business here and are planning moving away. To be honest I'm a bit defensive on here because I've looked at this forum a lot and found that when any new person posts they get slaughtered! I thought that the ex pat community on here would be supportive?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Money
You own or buy business as a national of a qualifying Treaty country. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (the more, the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum. Your dependent spouse may work. Non-immigrant visa with a difficult pathway to a green card. Search for: E2.

You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to invest, or half that in certain areas (plus whatever you will need to live). Your background will be investigated. This is also known as 'investor for alien entrepreneur'. This will give you a 2 year conditional green card, After a 2 year conditional green card you can apply to USCIS to have your conditions removed to be an unconditional permanent resident. Search for EB-5.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that the ex pat community on here would be supportive?
It's a little hard to understand why anyone would want to up sticks and move to a place that they've never even visited! It's difficult enough to move to a new country even if you've spent vacation time there. However, if you are thinking of living in an expensive place like Daniel Island you must have a big bankroll to ease your way.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

yes I know and understand. But I want advice of a good place to live. We have lived abroad before and understand what we are doing. The visa situation isnt an issue x
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

can I ask how all you came to live in the US? jobs, family ...?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

yes I know and understand. But I want advice of a good place to live. We have lived abroad before and understand what we are doing. The visa situation isnt an issue x
Usually the place of residence is governed by the location of the business. Think business first, where to live second.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

thank you thats what we're doing x
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Question Re: Hi I'm new!

Do you meet the requirements of an L1-A Visa?

You say you and your family. How many and how old?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

why is everyone so defensive on here? my children are 2, 8 and 10 xx
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

why is everyone so defensive on here? my children are 2, 8 and 10 xx
Defensive? No, we're just asking the obvious questions.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Defensive? No, we're just asking the obvious questions.
hope that quote worked lol! really dont know what 'm doing! Its just that whenever I've looked on this site it always seems a bit nasty to the new people> Yes I am here in the uk and never been to to USA but I still want to move there! tell me your story!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hope that quote worked lol! really dont know what 'm doing! Its just that whenever I've looked on this site it always seems a bit nasty to the new people> Yes I am here in the uk and never been to to USA but I still want to move there! tell me your story!
People are trying to help but we can't help if you don't provide enough details to give a coherent answer. Getting short with those who try to help you will get you nowhere.

- The US is a big place, knowing what sort of business you are intending on running will help suggest where it is likely to work or not.

- The age of children can be a significant factor in planning visa and greencard applications.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.