Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here we go again!

Here we go again!

Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:41 pm
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Englishtart's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Charleston,SC. born in Stockport,UK.
Posts: 10,109
Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here we go again!

Didn't think I would be posting this question for a few years yet, but things are never 'predictable' where the military is concerned!

Ok, hubby is going to be on the move again here pretty soon, we have a few options as far as locations and I was hoping to get some expert advice from you guys


Our priorities are things like schools (16 yr old son) so High schools, also continued education (Son is a lil' smart ass,lol)
Climate, sick of hot/humid summers, but could cope with dry heat (maybe)
Don't really want big city living, prefer smaller towns
Access to Airports.
Local attitude to military (may be a tough one to answer)

Anyway, I am just starting out on this information gathering journey, so I will be doing some searching of the older threads for tit bits, but thought I would kick it off with input from ya'll

Here are a few of the choices......
Pensacola, FL (I know, I know)
Eglin, FL (again, I know!)
McChord, WA
Shepherd, TX
Hickham, HI

We have lived in SA, TX and I wasn't thrilled with it, but Shepherd may be in a nicer area?

Over to you guys, thanx for any advice, suggestions you can contribute
Englishtart is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:48 pm
  #2  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,192
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

I'd pick Washington State. Never been there but on the top of the list of places I want to visit before I die.
Rete is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:50 pm
  #3  
Septic Sprout
 
tonrob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 7,991
tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

One of those is in Hawaii. What's your question?
tonrob is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:55 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
The Horticulturalist's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,540
The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Mchord AFB is in Seattle area, so I'd definitely go for that if I had your tick list. The climate is nice if you want away from the heat. not a massive city but a very nice one.
Direct flights to London from there too, Don't know about school there.

Failing that I'd pick Eglin because at least you'd be on the coast and by the beach. It's hard to beat the sunsets there in the fall.

Is your husband a pilot? If you ever get sent to Columbus AFB let me know
The Horticulturalist is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:06 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Englishtart's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Charleston,SC. born in Stockport,UK.
Posts: 10,109
Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist View Post
Mchord AFB is in Seattle area, so I'd definitely go for that if I had your tick list. The climate is nice if you want away from the heat. not a massive city but a very nice one.
Direct flights to London from there too, Don't know about school there.

Failing that I'd pick Eglin because at least you'd be on the coast and by the beach. It's hard to beat the sunsets there in the fall.

Is your husband a pilot? If you ever get sent to Columbus AFB let me know


I am pretty keen to go to WA myself, so, that is top of (my) list for now, obviously schools will be the deciding factor, they have to be.

Hawaii sounds pretty good to me too, but mostly because our oldest son is stationed there with the Navy, I have heard that the military is not really that well liked there though?

Hubby isn't a pilot (though that was why he signed up!) he is a historian for the AF and loves his job! He did it as active duty, he retired in 07' and won't consider doing anything else!
Englishtart is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:30 pm
  #6  
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,542
Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Having been in Pensacola nearly 4 years, I would go to Hawai

Seriously it is a pretty place and there are some interesting places to see, the economy is not good and even before there were few decent paying jobs.

Plenty of retirees decide to stay and people generally love the military.

My stepson is in High School, I have nothing to compare it to but the school seems pretty good and there were other choices requiring an entrance exam but he wanted to play football.

The summers are hot and humid and there is the potential of hurricanes. Most people I know who have left want to come back.

Peronally its one of those situations for me- Of all the places in all the US how did I end up here? but I am making the best of it and many people absolutely love it.

Take a look at the local newspaper to get a feel of the place. http://www.pnj.com/
Jaxbar is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:30 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
The Horticulturalist's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,540
The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

how many years will you posted wherever?

On reflection, Hawaii might be a go-er especially with your son there. I mean, when would you ever have the chance again to live on a tropical island? Can you get flights back and forth with the AF? It's pricey to take commercial flights there even from the US, I don't know how much it would be to go back to the UK from there.
The Horticulturalist is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:31 pm
  #8  
 
Poppy girl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Reno Nevada
Posts: 15,917
Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I'd pick Washington State. Never been there but on the top of the list of places I want to visit before I die.
Yes I agree with Rete its wonderful, and I get there myself for work, so we could have a few
Poppy girl is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:33 pm
  #9  
Unmitigated Gall
 
another bloody yank's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: it's still too dark to tell
Posts: 16,162
another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
Didn't think I would be posting this question for a few years yet, but things are never 'predictable' where the military is concerned!

Ok, hubby is going to be on the move again here pretty soon, we have a few options as far as locations and I was hoping to get some expert advice from you guys


Our priorities are things like schools (16 yr old son) so High schools, also continued education (Son is a lil' smart ass,lol)
Climate, sick of hot/humid summers, but could cope with dry heat (maybe)
Don't really want big city living, prefer smaller towns
Access to Airports.
Local attitude to military (may be a tough one to answer)

Anyway, I am just starting out on this information gathering journey, so I will be doing some searching of the older threads for tit bits, but thought I would kick it off with input from ya'll

Here are a few of the choices......
Pensacola, FL (I know, I know)
Eglin, FL (again, I know!)
McChord, WA
Shepherd, TX
Hickham, HI

We have lived in SA, TX and I wasn't thrilled with it, but Shepherd may be in a nicer area?

Over to you guys, thanx for any advice, suggestions you can contribute

My God, have you even unpacked yet?

I vote McChord BTW...
another bloody yank is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:47 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,105
AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

We have a lot of military families in our area (some are friends that have left to go other places) that are stationed at McChord. The area we live in is pretty nice, weather is pretty agreeable all year round. We do get some snow in the winter, but not too much. Summers are pretty mild. Puyallup school district is very good as well. There is plenty of outdoor activities around here, if you like that and we are within 45 minutes of an airport. Seattle proper is about an hours drive away as well.

If we had family here (and not flung to the ends of the earth) I'd actually love living here. But even then I find very little to complain about. Let me know if you want more information.....
AmerLisa is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:54 pm
  #11  
Septic Sprout
 
tonrob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 7,991
tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass View Post
Having been in Pensacola nearly 4 years, I would go to Hawai

Seriously it is a pretty place and there are some interesting places to see, the economy is not good and even before there were few decent paying jobs.

Plenty of retirees decide to stay and people generally love the military.

My stepson is in High School, I have nothing to compare it to but the school seems pretty good and there were other choices requiring an entrance exam but he wanted to play football.

The summers are hot and humid and there is the potential of hurricanes. Most people I know who have left want to come back.

Peronally its one of those situations for me- Of all the places in all the US how did I end up here? but I am making the best of it and many people absolutely love it.

Take a look at the local newspaper to get a feel of the place. http://www.pnj.com/
I spent a couple of days in Peniscola once, when Mrs tonrob and I were on our road-trip that started and finished in Vancouver(!)

Beach was very nice, as I recall. Did see on TV sometime later than someone had been eaten by a shark there, which made us feel a little uneasy about our memories of splashing around in the surf...
tonrob is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:55 pm
  #12  
MODERATOR
 
penguinsix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong, mostly.
Posts: 5,140
penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Hawaii is expensive...very.

I mean, it's a massively wonderful experience, and if you have some help on the housing it might be worth considering a few years doing not much but sitting on the beach and whatnot, but it's pricey to live (unless you steer clear of the touristy bits). You'll be a minority there (mostly Asian) and your kid might get picked on occasionally for being a Haole boy. I wouldn't say there is an overall anti-military attitude since so much of the state's economy is dependent on the major bases (Pearl Harbor, Hickam, Schoffield Barracks, Kaneohe, Pahokaloa (sic)). I mean there are military everywhere on the islands. It's not going to be a rah-rah as Texas but not much is.

The schools are hit and miss. The public schools are generally not ranked very high vs. schools on the mainland (at a sort of 'overall level') but you can find good schools if you look and work at it.

It is also isolated. I remember flying from Chicago to Hawaii and after a few hours the pilot came on and said 'look down on the left, there is the Golden Gate." About 45 minutes later he came on and said 'ok, we're halfway through our trip now' and I was like 'oh god...'

But if you want to visit the Pacific it's a great place to be based. NZ, Australia, Japan, Guam, Phillipines, etc.
penguinsix is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:00 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Englishtart's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Charleston,SC. born in Stockport,UK.
Posts: 10,109
Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post
My God, have you even unpacked yet?

I vote McChord BTW...
NO!! still have boxes everywhere, but hey, that's not unusual for us!

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
We have a lot of military families in our area (some are friends that have left to go other places) that are stationed at McChord. The area we live in is pretty nice, weather is pretty agreeable all year round. We do get some snow in the winter, but not too much. Summers are pretty mild. Puyallup school district is very good as well. There is plenty of outdoor activities around here, if you like that and we are within 45 minutes of an airport. Seattle proper is about an hours drive away as well.

If we had family here (and not flung to the ends of the earth) I'd actually love living here. But even then I find very little to complain about. Let me know if you want more information.....

Thanx Lisa (guys)
I have been doing some research on the schools in WA, I have looked at Puyallup and Lacey and Olympia, pretty confusing to say the least, I have been reading reviews by students/parents, but most if not all (except) Olympia were contradictory
Do you have any ideas of the rental prices for houses/apartments in any of these areas? We would need at least a 2 bed/2 bath in a decent area
Thanx guys, I knew you would be helpful

I think Hawaii would be fun, I think I would be more excited if it were just hubby and I, not heard too many good things about the school system there, but I am doing some checking on that. I think the next move will be for at least 4 years
Englishtart is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:09 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,105
AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Puyallup is your best bet.....especially for schools. Rentals are pretty easy to find. I don't know much about Olympia schools, but it is a big city (capital of WA) and not sure if you'd like it if you don't want a big city. Don't look in Lakewood, Spanaway or Tacoma - schools are not good. Also stay away from Clover Park School District.
AmerLisa is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:26 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Englishtart's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Charleston,SC. born in Stockport,UK.
Posts: 10,109
Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
Puyallup is your best bet.....especially for schools. Rentals are pretty easy to find. I don't know much about Olympia schools, but it is a big city (capital of WA) and not sure if you'd like it if you don't want a big city. Don't look in Lakewood, Spanaway or Tacoma - schools are not good. Also stay away from Clover Park School District.
Thanx Lisa, will stick to Puyallup for research then
Englishtart is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.