Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here we go again!

Here we go again!

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again!

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
Fl - no just because its Fl - well Pcola's not to bad but its still FL and to close to AL. TX - noooooo.

HI - Hickam is nice - biggest problem with Hi is schooling as Penguin6 said. It really is potluck and the public schools are not good. Private schools are really the only way to go and that has not changed ask Obama who attended Punahoe as all good HI lawyer and doctors children do - he must have been one of the lucky ones.

HI's DOD schools are different from others in that system throughout the US - if you research on military sites you will see why. I love HI but would never go there with children. And ironically all the friends I know who live there have children who now live on the mainland US.

From your choices I think you have settled on the best one WA - beautiful place and military friendly.

Hi SB, thanx for the response...We have decided 'no' on Hawaii, various reasons, but schools and 'anti military' locals were a couple.

Still waiting on WA to open up, hubby thinks they may well wait till new fiscal year to open it I hope not, I'm still keeping my
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Things moved pretty swiftly with the SD opening, 4 days after applying, Jay got an email to inform him he would be getting a (phone) interview, they asked a couple of questions, do you still want the job? when can you start? etc.
Today he got a call from the Colonel in charge of the Museum there, he told Jay that he may need to know a couple of things regarding the position, before they did the interview...Apparently, we would have to pay for the whole move ourselves, no expenses paid at all Also, he told Jay that he would have to resign from the federal position he has now, because the one there is not a federal employee position! (although it was posted on the same site as all the military/civilian openings)

We had no idea about these conditions, there is no way that Jay would leave the security he has with his employer, or walk away from the benefits etc. So we will just keep that something else comes up soon

On a lighter note, the guy did tell Jay that he had made enquiries about him with one of the Commanders at Jay's base, he told Jay that he had been 'highly recommended' in fact was a 'real jewel' nice!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Things moved pretty swiftly with the SD opening, 4 days after applying, Jay got an email to inform him he would be getting a (phone) interview, they asked a couple of questions, do you still want the job? when can you start? etc.
Today he got a call from the Colonel in charge of the Museum there, he told Jay that he may need to know a couple of things regarding the position, before they did the interview...Apparently, we would have to pay for the whole move ourselves, no expenses paid at all Also, he told Jay that he would have to resign from the federal position he has now, because the one there is not a federal employee position! (although it was posted on the same site as all the military/civilian openings)

We had no idea about these conditions, there is no way that Jay would leave the security he has with his employer, or walk away from the benefits etc. So we will just keep that something else comes up soon

On a lighter note, the guy did tell Jay that he had made enquiries about him with one of the Commanders at Jay's base, he told Jay that he had been 'highly recommended' in fact was a 'real jewel' nice!
I wouldn't leave the comfort of a federal job if I were you either. Hope something else comes up soon.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bevinva
I wouldn't leave the comfort of a federal job if I were you either. Hope something else comes up soon.

Thanx Bev, watch this space
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither...

for the next one!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Awww...that's too bad. But hey you can still hold out for the McChord one....
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Awww...that's too bad. But hey you can still hold out for the McChord one....
The McChord one is not forthcoming (in the near future) I don't think

Now Jay is starting to get interested in the Hickham one in Hawaii

I have been doing research most of the day,
very expensive...but pay should reflect that
Schools...bit confused about these, found one that sounds good (Monalua hs)
Climate...not too bad, but still have to cope with humidity

Jay says his only negative is being 'stuck' on an Island
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

The McChord one is not forthcoming (in the near future) I don't think

Now Jay is starting to get interested in the Hickham one in Hawaii

I have been doing research most of the day,
very expensive...but pay should reflect that
Schools...bit confused about these, found one that sounds good (Monalua hs)
Climate...not too bad, but still have to cope with humidity

Jay says his only negative is being 'stuck' on an Island
You might have the opportunity to travel to other places from HI a lot cheaper than the from the mainland.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You might have the opportunity to travel to other places from HI a lot cheaper than the from the mainland.
That is what I was thinking too...plus the added incentives for family (from uk) visiting there.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

come to missouri then i can meet you!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
come to missouri then i can meet you!
Are you crazy woman!! drive through St Louis? One of these days I will
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hawaii sounds pretty good to me too, but mostly because our oldest son is stationed there with the Navy, I have heard that the military is not really that well liked there though?
Disclaimer: my information is definitely dated, but I'm not sure these issues would be different today. My parents were stationed in Hawaii and found it difficult. It's very expensive to fly to the mainland, etc. so they felt a bit trapped. Locals are not always keen to make friends with someone they believe will be moving on soon. Schools are not known for their quality.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Disclaimer: my information is definitely dated, but I'm not sure these issues would be different today. My parents were stationed in Hawaii and found it difficult. It's very expensive to fly to the mainland, etc. so they felt a bit trapped. Locals are not always keen to make friends with someone they believe will be moving on soon. Schools are not known for their quality.
I lived in HI for 4 years and visit fairly regularly. Hawaii is beautiful but definitely different from anywhere else you have likely lived. Having said that I would live there permanently again in a heartbeat. However, with children I would strongly consider other options. As I said earlier the schools are not only quite poor in standards but also suffer from the ever present local animosity that has always existed in Hi to non islanders. It is possible to overcome this and blend in quite well but despite that the issues still remain in the population. And you will be the minority. As a tourist these differences are less noticable because tourism is HI's no.1 business - but living there day to day requires adjustment and acceptance.

As for cheaper flights from the islands to elsewhere I disagree. Hi airlines and others have a captive market and know it. Flights are generally higher than mainland USA to everywhere - just check the interisland prices to see what I mean. Sometimes it can cost as much to travel between islands as to go to mainland USA (uhmmm where have we seen that business model before = UK).

If you decide on HI my personal favourite as somewhere to live would be the greater Kailua area extending all along the coastline. Good luck
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you SB, Kaffy. I have been doing lots of research on HI community/schools, etc. Seems like the schools are a fair bit behind the mainland schools, which is a big concern for us, our youngest is going to be a junior and is planning on a very highly specialized career, so he really needs a top notch high school.

Jay has done a bit of digging (deeper) as far as the job opening and he is starting to have second thoughts on applying now That's his call, there are three of us in this to consider, but for me, the school choice/rating has to a major factor.

A worrying trend seems to be spreading with these recent openings, I noticed that with about 75% of them, they are stating that no relocation package will be provided That is something else that will be a factor for us, after moving back here in December, our savings have been spread pretty thin!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

Thanx for the response IP Yeah, seems everyone wants to go to Hickham, but I have heard a few ugly things about how the military is treated there! Not sure if you read my last post, but Yes, the WA one would be our preferred choice if/when it opens...Jay put in for Ellsworth in SD yesterday, so we will see how that goes
Hawaii isn't the best place to live. We are treated really bad by the locals and schools are not up to par, a lot of the spouses end up home schooling. Most of the kids when returning to the main land end up droping a grade.
You get a little cabin crazy as well, within 6 weeks you have seen and done everthing you can do. Great for a get away but not to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.