Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help wanted WW2!

Help wanted WW2!

Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:16 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help wanted WW2!

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I realize that this is a bit of a sore point with you, but based upon the historical facts of the war, do you honestly believe that the Commonwealth would have been able to defeat the Germans without outside help? The numbers make it pretty obvious that this wasn't the case.

WWI makes a good case study. There, the whole thing was a big awful stalemate until the US turned the tide. In the case of WWII, I would imagine that Britain would have been isolated (I doubt that the Germans could have mounted a successful invasion, thanks to the sleeve standing between them and the coast of France), while the Germans would have been eventually defeated by the Soviets, thereafter paving the way for the whole of the continent being absorbed into a mega-Warsaw Pact.

In other words, the Brits would have been speaking English. But the French and the rest of their neighbors would have been able to look down their noses at you while insulting you in Russian. Vive la resistance.
The key word here is "help" - the problem, I believe, that we have is that these Americans believe their country was the only reason the war ended as it did and it's a bit more complicated than that. They also forget the fact that they pretty much kept out of it as much as they could until it suited their own needs.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:23 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Im saying most Americans blindly think it was all them and no one else had any help at all. They were part of the allies.
I suspect that the US had enough manpower and materiel to win alone in Europe with minimal help, as was largely the case in the Pacific. Yes, it would have been bloodier, more painful and taken a lot longer, and no, that does not denigrate the efforts of all of the other Allies. But nonetheless, the US would have won eventually just so long as it had the UK to serve as a large immobile aircraft carrier from which to establish a beachhead.

The whole thing sounds like your co-workers are just taking the piss. Since they probably don't know much about the UK aside from England being in London (or something like that) and the Queen looking like Helen Mirren, they probably don't have much material to work with. Make fun of McDonald's or something, you'll come up with a potshot or two, I'm sure...
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:29 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Make fun of McDonald's or something, you'll come up with a potshot or two, I'm sure...
I would swing the conversation round to French military history - let them go off on the whole "surrender monkeys" thing and then when someone asks if there have ever been any famous French military victories, say "Yorktown".
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear I can see this thread ending up to be a bit of Yank bashing but you are right those stupid comments get right up our nose's, blimey I poor island was bombed to f**k for two year's before the Yanks decided to step in, and I believe our Gran parents would of bloody well fought on the Beaches till the very end, like dear old Churchill said.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:35 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

As this thread proves so elegantly, you Brits rise beautifully to this canard. It's great, one mention of Der Fatherland and y'all start blustering. Why should we not use it?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:37 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing sounds like your co-workers are just taking the piss. Since they probably don't know much about the UK aside from England being in London (or something like that) and the Queen looking like Helen Mirren, they probably don't have much material to work with. Make fun of McDonald's or something, you'll come up with a potshot or two, I'm sure...
Its not just co workers (although they are bad) A lot of Americans I meet come up with this nonsense. If I suggest the Battle of Britain had a large influence over the outcome of the war I get a blank look, they never heard of it.
I guess propergander is alive and well!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:38 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Oh dear I can see this thread ending up to be a bit of Yank bashing.
just waiting for Rushman and Dakota to find this thread
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
BTW, Yanks saying that makes me wince. It's such a childish, playground type thing to say.
exactly, but i hear it all the time and it's so
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:44 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just co workers (although they are bad) A lot of Americans I meet come up with this nonsense. If I suggest the Battle of Britain had a large influence over the outcome of the war I get a blank look, they never heard of it.
I guess propergander is alive and well!
i think the key is was hitler getting a bit bored with the idea of operation sealion and deciding to give stalin a smack.

IMO we would be part of a big warsaw pact as another poster mentioned.....
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

If I suggest the Battle of Britain had a large influence over the outcome of the war I get a blank look, they never heard of it.
I'm not surprised that they haven't heard of it, but be that as it may, I'd say that it's debatable that the Battle of Britain affected the actual outcome of the war, i.e. the Germans losing.

If you believe that the Germans could have been defeated solely by the Soviets (as I do), then no, I'd say that the Battle of Britain was certainly a turning point for the western Allies, but for the Germans, the outcome was the same, it was just a question who would have defeated them, and how long it would have taken. (Surely, the war would have lasted a lot longer without either the Soviets or the Americans participating.)

In my mind, the definitive turning points in Europe were El Alamein, Stalingrad and Normandy. The Allied bombing campaign wasn't a turning point per se, but it caused the Germans enough destruction and diverted resources to affect their ability to carry on.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:56 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Let me turn this back to mt original question. I need some smart one liners to get them to shut up.....
Come on, were meant to be the witty Brits
Rob
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:57 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
i think the key is was hitler getting a bit bored with the idea of operation sealion and deciding to give stalin a smack.
that wasn't a whim or spur of the moment decision - it was possibly the single most important underlying reason why WW2 happened in the first place: From a military/strategic viewpoint everything the Nazis did was done with one thing in mind: conquering the Soviet Union to provide the German people with their "lebensraum" in the east. It was one of the main pillars of the Nazi philosophy and all laid out in Mein Kampf.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:58 pm
A lion in your lap

Let me turn this back to mt original question. I need some smart one liners to get them to shut up.....
Rob
you could try my suggestion in Post 18
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:06 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
that wasn't a whim or spur of the moment decision - it was possibly the single most important underlying reason why WW2 happened in the first place: From a military/strategic viewpoint everything the Nazis did was done with one thing in mind: conquering the Soviet Union to provide the German people with their "lebensraum" in the east. It was one of the main pillars of the Nazi philosophy and all laid out in Mein Kampf.
I know, I was being flippant :-)
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
You could try "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.