Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help - ultra confused!

Help - ultra confused!

Old Oct 28th 2007, 3:40 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - ultra confused!

Originally Posted by Ray
You can get an old age pension surely ......
not enough years
Old Oct 28th 2007, 3:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
not enough years
You can buy more .. have you sent off for a pension forecast ....
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
.......both of us are professionals making pretty good salaries (combined just over 6 figures), and we have no deductions (like children or a house) we are subject to paying higher taxes than singles would just because we are married. How's that for an insult.
For self-employed people like myself, even though we have a house and 'kids', I pay an extortionate amount of tax because ALL my earnings are taxed at my husband's highest rate.

Plus there is the ongoing fear of falling into the the Alternative Minimum Tax trap:

"In 2006, the IRS's National Taxpayer Advocate's report highlighted the AMT as the single most serious problem with the tax code. The advocate noted that the AMT punishes taxpayers for having children or living in a high-tax state........... A brief issued by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) (No. 4, April 15, 2004),[5] concludes:

Over the coming decade, a growing number of taxpayers will become liable for the AMT. In 2010, if nothing is changed, one in five taxpayers will have AMT liability and nearly every married taxpayer with income between $100,000 and $500,000 will owe the alternative tax. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_Minimum_Tax
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
For self-employed people like myself, even though we have a house and 'kids', I pay an extortionate amount of tax because ALL my earnings are taxed at my husband's highest rate.

Can't you file married/separate to lower your rate?
The AMT trap tho.. mmm, every year's fear.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Can't you file married/separate to lower your rate?
I was wondering about that but my accountant says I'd pay even more that way. Honestly, the US tax system is so complex - I don't even know where to start to figure it out...
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering about that but my accountant says I'd pay even more that way. Honestly, the US tax system is so complex - I don't even know where to start to figure it out...
Just reverse it - tax YOUR earnings at the lower rate, and let him pay the higher bracket.

Somewhat joking, but seriously - the two of you have your earnings lumped together - the first bit is taxed at 15% (I think), the next bit at more, and so on. So why is it YOURS that is the higher?

Generally the accountant would be right - filing separately results in more total tax usually. You probably have to choose who gets which deduction - so how that would work out if you and hubby each "pay your own" I'm not sure. From the total amount of tax paid as a couple, that is probably not the way to go.

You can get Turbotax software very inexpensively, and do the calculations various ways and see how it comes out. I do my own with turbotax every year. If there's any way I can help (without you having to tell me anything too personal) let me know - easy enough to do rough calculations.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:27 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Tracym
Just reverse it - tax YOUR earnings at the lower rate, and let him pay the higher bracket.

Somewhat joking, but seriously - the two of you have your earnings lumped together - the first bit is taxed at 15% (I think), the next bit at more, and so on. So why is it YOURS that is the higher?.........
At the end of the day it doesn't matter which of us pays the higher tax - it all ends up in the same pot.

This might come as a shock to someone from the UK, where everyone - married or single - gets their own personal tax-free allowance and starts at the bottom of the tax band.

As for the AMT - that's just insane.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Yep, when my hubby and I moved up to Ohio 2 years ago, I was surprised at finding out about a city income tax as well. Instead of all the little suburbs being part of Cincinnati, they are all considered little cities (I think they may be incorporated), and you have to pay for the privilege of working or living in them. We ended up paying an extra 2% on top of federal and state. When you get your W-2s, one of the reasons you get 4 of them is so that you can use one for filing city taxes.

Ozzidoc, here is a link that define's the marriage penalty tax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_penalty. Because both of us are professionals making pretty good salaries (combined just over 6 figures), and we have no deductions (like children or a house) we are subject to paying higher taxes than singles would just because we are married. How's that for an insult.
Thanks for the link!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You can buy more .. have you sent off for a pension forecast ....
yes i have a forecast. I had 6 yrs work, and you have to have 11. i could pay a lump sum when I become retirement age. It would be a bit silly to pay over a lump sum for such a paltry amount of money. Plus, if I kicked the bucket, the lump sum would be gone. I'll just donate it to E.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

yes i have a forecast. I had 6 yrs work, and you have to have 11. i could pay a lump sum when I become retirement age. It would be a bit silly to pay over a lump sum for such a paltry amount of money. Plus, if I kicked the bucket, the lump sum would be gone. I'll just donate it to E.
My forecast gave me the option of paying amounts as and when I wanted
to buys years ... but after they brought the number of year down from 44 to 30 to get the full pension ..I had no need to buy any
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day it doesn't matter which of us pays the higher tax - it all ends up in the same pot.

This might come as a shock to someone from the UK, where everyone - married or single - gets their own personal tax-free allowance and starts at the bottom of the tax band.

Sure, I understand if it all goes together. Some couples do their finances (at least somewhat) separately, that's all I was thinking about.

The allowances (deductions) are larger for married than single and all. And the brackets are larger. But I don't believe they are double, so two married people would pay more in tax than two single ones.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:56 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by Ray
My forecast gave me the option of paying amounts as and when I wanted
to buys years ... but after they brought the number of year down from 44 to 30 to get the full pension ..I had no need to buy any
workaholic!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:58 pm
Ray

workaholic!
Yup ....that why I retired at 49 ....
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarflondongirl
Plus it's well documented that Americans have a higher disposal income than those in the UK...
that's bollocks...they just hide it behind more debt.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That's my fear as well. The gov't really needs to do something about it, otherwise there are going to be some serious economic problems for quite good percentage of the middle class. We did just buy a house, but I don't know if that will help or hurt us for this year. Keeping my fingers crossed..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.