Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help!!! Scones with jam and cream......

Help!!! Scones with jam and cream......

Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:34 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!! Scones with jam and cream......

Anyone remember this rather cruel one from their uni days?

Halls of Residence + guy who'd gone home to Mummy for the weekend + his carpet + his keyhole + fire hose + straw + packet of cress/mustard seeds.

[/drift]
Old Jun 10th 2005, 4:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Halls of Residence + guy who'd gone home to Mummy for the weekend + his carpet + his keyhole + fire hose + straw + packet of cress/mustard seeds.
you are evil...we just use to break in and re-arrange his pad in the court yard
Old Jun 10th 2005, 4:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paint
Hard to find - but very easy to grow on a pad of damp kitchen roll LOL! Seeds are easy to fit in an envelope and send via air mail if you can't find them here.
Hmmm...seeds...much easier solution *l*
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:53 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

[/drift]
Thats too funny
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:27 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
My daughter has an international day at school tomorrow, and no surprises we are hosting the English table (thanks woodsey for the previous thread, got some good ideas!!) I decided to do afternoon tea with a china tea service, milk jug, sugar bowl etc etc, and scones with jam and cream...... my scones have turned out as flat as a pancake not sure if it is the flour I used (multi purpose) if anyone has made them with success over here could you please give me some pointers?!!!!! Any ideas will be gratefully received
So how did the scones turn out and did they like them?What about the clotted cream.You know they sell that in world Market in jars I've never actually tried it,not too sure about clotted cream out of a jar.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:12 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!!! Scones with jam and cream......

Realize I'm a bit late with this reply, but I used to make scones all the time and they were - if I do say so myself - great. I'll be happy to post my recipe if you'd like. It's a basic scone recipe from a friend of mine who owned a tearoom in New England; it's her Scottish grandmother's recipe.

The secret to a good scone is:

* Making sure the butter is ice cold when it is cut-in
* Not overhandling the dough (this is why patting the dough in a thick circle and cutting into wedges is better than cutting them out with a biscuit cutter)
* A piping hot oven

I love a nice scone with jam and cream (oh! to be in Devon again!), but used to add *mini* (not regular size) chocolate chips when making them for my kids. My favorite stir-in were Craisins - dried fruit that is a cross between a cranberry and a raisin. You can also, of course, add currants which are available in American grocery stores and usually found on the shelf next to the raisins.

By the way, clotted cream (in a jar) can be ordered via the Internet, but it's super expensive; Double Devon Cream (in a jar) is a nice substitute. It, too, can be ordered via the Internet, but might also be found at your local British shop (if you're lucky enough to have one nearby). I've also seen it in grocery stores like Publix, but be creative when looking for it as it's usually in the imported cheese section!

Do let us know how it went!

DDL (a/k/a Tea Lover Denise)

(
)
(
____
\__/o

Originally Posted by robskatie
My daughter has an international day at school tomorrow, and no surprises we are hosting the English table (thanks woodsey for the previous thread, got some good ideas!!) I decided to do afternoon tea with a china tea service, milk jug, sugar bowl etc etc, and scones with jam and cream...... my scones have turned out as flat as a pancake not sure if it is the flour I used (multi purpose) if anyone has made them with success over here could you please give me some pointers?!!!!! Any ideas will be gratefully received
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Another tip... use the extra moist 'raisans for baking' they will help keep your scones a little more moist.

Ash