Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost in translation...

Lost in translation...

Old Mar 27th 2004, 3:19 pm
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice
Default Lost in translation...

What have you seen/read/heard in the States that would be soooo out of place in England but doesn't have the same meaning at all over here?

Like my neighbor is proud to tell everyone that his 14 year old daughter came home from school full of spunk!

Like the very existence of 'fanny packs'!

Like when I buy English Muffins in Walmart and the receipt proudly states '1 x English Muff'!

My two favorites though have to be:

The childrens book I saw the other day called "roger the puppy" - hopefully it's not an instructional manual!

And the other day I met someone with a name that has always been fictional to me in the UK, Wayne Kerr!!! Of course it has no meaning here just like the rest but for me it was very hard to keep a straight face
Old Mar 27th 2004, 5:38 pm
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

no but I have one the other way round. Recently I was waiting for something to happen. I told my man in Chicago, if it happened 'I would be so happy I would do a little jig' He nearly choked and asked if I had a fetish for black midets then. I was totally lost and had to ask him to explain. I laugh at it now tho.

Appologies to any black midgets reading of course.

Helen
Old Mar 28th 2004, 3:09 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Another candidate for new forums. Another subject that has been done to death and is done is continually done to death every month.

Fags and Fannies Where people discuss the hilarious differences between the British English Language and the American English language with stories about how an american said "have you seen my new pants" or "I went running last night and now I have a tight fanny" and you cried with laughter. Or the time you said "I going outside for a fag" and your workmates all spontaneously combust from the shock. Or the time the american on tv said "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction" meaning which really translates to "I am lying, cheating radical". Oh what fun!

Lets just accept foreigners are funny and lets have done with it, because I bet non of our american friends and neighbors are laughing at the way we speak.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 3:12 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by helenw
no but I have one the other way round. Recently I was waiting for something to happen. I told my man in Chicago, if it happened 'I would be so happy I would do a little jig' He nearly choked and asked if I had a fetish for black midets then. I was totally lost and had to ask him to explain. I laugh at it now tho.

Appologies to any black midgets reading of course.

Helen
Now black midgets, theres a subject that very rarely comes up, we should discuss them!
Old Mar 28th 2004, 3:53 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick, given what a miserable sod you are, why do you bother reading these boards at all? Does it make you happy to feel so superior, perhaps?
Old Mar 28th 2004, 3:58 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Patrick
Another candidate for new forums. Another subject that has been done to death and is done is continually done to death every month.

Fags and Fannies Where people discuss the hilarious differences between the British English Language and the American English language with stories about how an american said "have you seen my new pants" or "I went running last night and now I have a tight fanny" and you cried with laughter. Or the time you said "I going outside for a fag" and your workmates all spontaneously combust from the shock. Or the time the american on tv said "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction" meaning which really translates to "I am lying, cheating radical". Oh what fun!

Lets just accept foreigners are funny and lets have done with it, because I bet non of our american friends and neighbors are laughing at the way we speak.
You are in a bad bad mood, everything ok with you?
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:06 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbj1000
Patrick, given what a miserable sod you are, why do you bother reading these boards at all? Does it make you happy to feel so superior, perhaps?
Welcome to the newbie.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:31 am
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

It just cracks me up that people still name their sons Randy over here. (Come on, we've all seen the Austin Powers movies so why do they still do that??)
Old Mar 28th 2004, 2:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost in translation...

Originally posted by Rumplestiltskin
..... And the other day I met someone with a name that has always been fictional to me in the UK, Wayne Kerr!!! Of course it has no meaning here ....
I think that "w@nker" has an underground following - a taboo word that is not (yet) understood by the wider public, certainly not enough to attact complaints to the FCC.

A couple of months ago a local classic rock radio station, here in NC, was running a "buzz-word bingo" competition and the theme was words used to descibe fans of the New England Patriots. The words were, in the run up to the Super Bowl, all derogatory, and included the word "w@nkers".
Old Mar 28th 2004, 2:43 pm
Pagan Sex God

Missing

One sense of humor, if found please return to dbj1000, answers to the name of jackass
Old Mar 28th 2004, 3:15 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Missing

One sense of humor, if found please return to dbj1000, answers to the name of jackass
Too right Patrick. Other people find your posts fücking hilarious, I'm sure. Until I misplaced my sense of humour I always loved to read the rants of condecending, abusive whingers. Nothing made me laugh more, and it would brighten my otherwise dark and empty life.

Oh for those happy, joyful days!
Old Mar 28th 2004, 3:40 pm
Pagan Sex God

Too right Patrick. Other people find your posts fücking hilarious, I'm sure. Until I misplaced my sense of humour I always loved to read the rants of condecending, abusive whingers. Nothing made me laugh more, and it would brighten my otherwise dark and empty life.

Oh for those happy, joyful days!

So, if you knew my first reply was a joke and was written with tongue in cheek why did you get so pissy? If you, which you should by now, realised it was not a serious go but written with a smile why, oh ******* why did you get so shirty.

If your going to take my posts seriously you should not read them, they are for grown ups who understand irony, sarcasm and subtlety - not for people who throw tantrums. Now be a good a boy and sit in the corner and be quiet while the grown ups talk and if your good I will buy you an ice cream.

Patrick
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:06 pm
Arrogant ****

...they are for grown ups who understand irony, sarcasm and subtlety...
Now that really made me laugh!
Old Mar 29th 2004, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost in translation...

Originally posted by Rumplestiltskin
What have you seen/read/heard in the States that would be soooo out of place in England but doesn't have the same meaning at all over here?

Like my neighbor is proud to tell everyone that his 14 year old daughter came home from school full of spunk!

Like the very existence of 'fanny packs'!

Like when I buy English Muffins in Walmart and the receipt proudly states '1 x English Muff'!

My two favorites though have to be:

The childrens book I saw the other day called "roger the puppy" - hopefully it's not an instructional manual!

And the other day I met someone with a name that has always been fictional to me in the UK, Wayne Kerr!!! Of course it has no meaning here just like the rest but for me it was very hard to keep a straight face
I live in South Carolina and was at a bar one evening with my wife, when one of her friends (a single, beautiful, voluptous blonde) whispered into my ear if i wanted to shag....i thought, oh er misses. I fumbled with my words and she took me by the hand, and said to my wife she and I were going to shag! Far from being mad my wife said have fun......this is only supposed to happen in dreams, until she began dancing and told me what to do with my feet.
She replies...well what else did you think i meant? I only wanted to shag......

I had to have a large ale afterwards to cool down. That's a real story!!!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:46 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

So, if you knew my first reply was a joke and was written with tongue in cheek why did you get so pissy? If you, which you should by now, realised it was not a serious go but written with a smile why, oh ******* why did you get so shirty.

If your going to take my posts seriously you should not read them, they are for grown ups who understand irony, sarcasm and subtlety - not for people who throw tantrums. Now be a good a boy and sit in the corner and be quiet while the grown ups talk and if your good I will buy you an ice cream.

Patrick
Don't know about your little squabble, but the ice cream offer; does that aplly to everyone? I'll gladly sit in the corner if it does!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.