Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HELP pleaseeee?

HELP pleaseeee?

Old Sep 21st 2002, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

waiting4T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP pleaseeee?

Well i was working in Vietnam April 2001 to April 2002, i have no W2, No paystubs, Nothing to do taxes. But on my I129-f i wrote that i worked in Vietnam. I can't claim it on my taxes for 2001 and i only had a job in the US for about 2 months before i went to vietnam. So i don't know what to do, if i don't claim it on my taxes they will see that, and then my taxes will only be for 2 months the whole year. I know the last year of taxes is what they mostly look at. Also i do have a Co-sponsor so will it not matter?? Or will i get into trouble for not paying taxes for when i worked in Vietnam???? Can anyone help??????
Old Sep 21st 2002, 5:14 am
Shannon

Default Re: HELP pleaseeee?

I recently did my taxes for 2001, including my salary while working overseas. I had no W2 or paystubs, just notation of the amount I was paid and the tax deducted. The tax agent said my records would be fine.

Did you really pay no tax for the year? Not even local tax? i would suggest you submit a tax return for the period, based on your records of what you earned (or do some research and check your bank records).

If you have a co-sponsor and show only two months of earnings on your tax return, I don't think the INS will mind (its not their business if you evade tax or how you meet the income requirements). However, the IRS would mind and the INS may ask whether you were unemployed or doing "what?" for the rest of the year.

Shannon
Originally posted by waiting4T:
Well i was working in Vietnam April 2001 to April 2002, i have no W2, No paystubs, Nothing to do taxes. But on my I129-f i wrote that i worked in Vietnam. I can't claim it on my taxes for 2001 and i only had a job in the US for about 2 months before i went to vietnam. So i don't know what to do, if i don't claim it on my taxes they will see that, and then my taxes will only be for 2 months the whole year. I know the last year of taxes is what they mostly look at. Also i do have a Co-sponsor so will it not matter?? Or will i get into trouble for not paying taxes for when i worked in Vietnam???? Can anyone help??????