Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help Needed Registering Car in PA

Help Needed Registering Car in PA

Old Oct 9th 2001, 2:29 am
Peter

Has anyone here immigrated from Canada to PA, USA with their car and if so can you
advise me on the process and what is required to register mine? I just arrived last
week and am just waiting for my SSN so I can do everything else.

Thanks, Peter

Old Oct 10th 2001, 5:22 pm
Leonard

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I'd think you could just go to a Notary Public and get everything done there. Look
under "Notary" in the yellow pages.

Old Oct 10th 2001, 5:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why would he go to a Notary?

Have you looked it up on the net? Check for DMV PA.

Most states will require that you have a certificate of insurance on the vehicle, a proper title, present registration, plus your customs' slip that you got when you crossed the border with the vehicle.

That and the appropriate fee is all that is required to register a car.

Rita

Old Oct 10th 2001, 6:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I did your research for you.

The URL is http://www.dmv.state.pa.us

Note the site is down for online services from 10/10 to 10/11.

Here is a cut and paste of requirements for new residents and registering vehicles, getting your license from their site

Welcome to Pennsylvania
How To Register Your Motor Vehicle
All new residents are required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of entry into the Commonwealth when establishing residency in Pennsylvania.
You will need to obtain the necessary forms to get your Pennsylvania vehicle registration. Forms are available online for downloading and at any messenger service office or any Driver and Vehicle Service Center location.
In order to register your vehicle(s), you will need to bring the following items with you:
· A valid title for all of the vehicles you want to register in Pennsylvania, issued in your name, from the state you left; and
· Proof of Pennsylvania insurance, such as a valid insurance identification card, declaration page of an insurance policy, a copy of a valid binder or a copy of an application for insurance to the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan for all of the vehicles you will be registering. These documents must indicate both effective and expiration dates.
· Form of personal identification
· A tracing of the vehicle identification number (VIN) or the verification of the VIN by an inspection mechanic or notary at a dealership.
Fees
For a complete listing of fees related to Driver and Vehicle Services, please visit our fees page.
Sales Tax
If you hold a valid title issued in another state and, if you owned the vehicle at least 6 months before moving to Pennsylvania, you will not be required to pay any sales tax when you register your vehicle in Pennsylvania.
If your vehicle was purchased less than 6 months before moving to Pennsylvania, you must pay sales tax based on the difference between the Pennsylvania tax (6% of the purchase price less any trade-in or for Philadelphia or Allegheny county residents, 7% of the purchase price less any trade-in) and any sales tax you paid in the other state, unless the other state's sales tax is greater.
Vehicle Safety Inspection
A vehicle newly registered in Pennsylvania must be safety inspected within ten (10) days of the registration date. Inspections are performed at official inspection stations (usually a repair garage or a service station with a repair shop). Equipment checks include: lights, brakes, horn, tires, safety belts, exhaust system, mirrors, tag mounting, suspension, turn signals, steering, glazing, wipers, and other major parts of your vehicle.
Inspection fees are posted at official inspection stations. These fees do not include repairs to correct vehicle defects.
Emission Inspection Maintenance
Pennsylvania is one of many states required by the Federal Environmental Protection Agency to have a vehicle emissions inspection & maintenance (I/M) program. The I/M program is a key part of the Commonwealth's strategy to improve its air quality. Currently, a vehicle emissions inspection is required in Allegheny, Beaver, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Washington and Westmoreland Counties.
The I/M program covers all gasoline-powered 1975 and newer passenger cars and light duty trucks. Inspections are performed at privately owned garages and service stations certified by PENNDOT. Inspection fees can vary, and motorists should shop around. For more information about the Commonwealth's I/M program call the I/M customer hotline at 1-800-265-0921 or visit the Pennsylvania Emissions Team Web site.
To Obtain Your Pennsylvania Driver's License
All new residents must obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license within 60 days of establishing a permanent residence in Pennsylvania. To apply, you must appear in person at one of our Driver License Centers. You will need to complete the necessary forms with the correct classification(s) and endorsement(s) and take a vision screening test. The forms will be provided at the Driver License Centers. You will need to bring your valid driver's license from your prior state (valid license or expired six (6) months or less). Additionally, your Social Security Card if your Social Security Number does not appear on your license and a check or money order for the cost of your Pennsylvania driver's license. If your out-of-state driver's license has expired more than six (6) months ago, you will be required to apply for a Pennsylvania Learner's Permit and complete all testing prior to receiving your Pennsylvania Driver's License. When you are issued a Pennsylvania Driver's License, the driver's license from your prior state must be surrendered to the examiner. An applicant who does not possess a valid or expired photo license must bring their birth certificate and Social Security Card. Other acceptable forms of identification and information regarding how to obtain an initial license are addressed in the Pennsylvania Driver's Manual and the Commercial Driver's Manual. If you would like a copy of the Pennsylvania Driver's Manual, they are available at our Driver License Centers, most messenger services, notaries and auto clubs.
If you have an out-of-state license and you are under 18, you will need to meet additional requirements or provide additional documentation before you can receive a Pennsylvania driver's license. Please contact our Customer Call Center at 1-800-932-4600 for further details.
To Obtain Your Pennsylvania Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
All new residents with out-of-state CDL's must surrender them within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency. To apply, a commercial driver should follow the steps listed above for non-commercial applicants. Drivers who have a Haz-Mat Endorsement on their out-of-state driver's license and want to retain it, will be required to retake and pass the Haz-Mat Knowledge Test. CDL Manuals are available at our Driver License Centers, most messenger services, notaries and auto clubs.
To Obtain Your Non-Driver Photo Identification Card
If you are at least 16 years of age and a resident of Pennsylvania, you may apply for a photo identification card at any Driver License Center. To apply, take proof of name, birth date, two different forms validating address, your Social Security Card and a check or money order for $9 to the center. ID cards are a viable source of identification for those who may not have a driver's license.

Rita
Old Oct 10th 2001, 7:56 pm
Leonard

>

How quaint. Would that I were the person with the question.

>
    >
    >
    >

snip

Old Oct 10th 2001, 9:35 pm
Girlcanada

Also, check out penndot - pennsylvania department of transportation. My fiance in PA
directed me here when I was looking for info.

--
Vermont Service Center Aug 24/01 I-129F Petition Couriered Aug 30/01 Notice of Action
Dated Sep 12/01 Notice of Approval Dated Sep 26/01 Medical appointment Oct 04/01
Interview (Vancouver) - SUCCESS! Jim (USC) & Michelle (Alberta, Canada)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >