Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help needed! Driving on H4 visa.

Help needed! Driving on H4 visa.

Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:29 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help needed! Driving on H4 visa.

I seem to be going round in circles with this, so thought maybe someone here would have the answers I need...

I am under the impression that once you become resident in the US, whether permanent or temporary, you have to get a drivers license within something like 10 days. Can anyone verify that?

I rang the Ca DMV and asked how I get a license without a social security number and was told that I can't. I was also told that I could continue driving on my UK license, but this contradicts the info which I thought I "knew" (see above). I don't really trust the person I spoke to at the DMV because they sounded like a total hick (sorry )

Is anyone driving on an H4 in California? Know anyone who is? Know how to get a ruddy drivers license? It would make the car insurance much cheaper, plus I don't want to wait until I'm stopped by a cop before I find out that I'm driving illegally. :scared:
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed! Driving on H4 visa.

Originally Posted by Wintersong

I am under the impression that once you become resident in the US, whether permanent or temporary, you have to get a drivers license within something like 10 days. Can anyone verify that?

who told you that?

I think you can drive on a UK intl license for like a year.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:36 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
who told you that?

Ok, but that doesn't solve the long term problem (or the price of insurance!)

Does it matter that I don't have an international license? I had one, but it expired in Feb and I was told that it doesn't make much difference anyway.

(Thanks btw!)
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

who told you that?

if your a resident, you have to change it within 10 days in Cali...

As for not having a social number, you have to get the ss office to do a letter saying why you don't have one....that should be enough along with the H4 visa I think...but I'm not 100% sure for cali...wouldn't listen to person on the phone unless there a supervisor as chances are, there a plank.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, but that doesn't solve the long term problem (or the price of insurance!)

Does it matter that I don't have an international license? I had one, but it expired in Feb and I was told that it doesn't make much difference anyway.

(Thanks btw!)
But if you have your H4 visa, then why can't you prove to the DMV that you're here legally and get your regular license?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:41 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Bob
if your a resident, you have to change it within 10 days in Cali...

As for not having a social number, you have to get the ss office to do a letter saying why you don't have one....that should be enough along with the H4 visa I think...but I'm not 100% sure for cali...wouldn't listen to person on the phone unless there a supervisor as chances are, there a plank.
Certainly sounded like one

I don't suppose you know of an official website which gives any of this info do you? I couldn't find it on the California DMV site. Does the 10 day limit apply to temporary residents?

Cheers for the advice
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

)
international permit doesn't mean poop over here unless your UK license is the old paper one, or the license is not in English.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:42 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

But if you have your H4 visa, then why can't you prove to the DMV that you're here legally and get your regular license?
Because it's a dependents' visa so they don't give you an SS number. DMV don't appear to issue licenses without social security. It's a flipping vicious circle and I'm getting slightly pissed off with them!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:43 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Bob
international permit doesn't mean poop over here unless your UK license is the old paper one, or the license is not in English.
Hmmm.... UK license is indeed old paper one. Bugger.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I don't suppose you know of an official website which gives any of this info do you? I couldn't find it on the California DMV site. Does the 10 day limit apply to temporary residents?
errr...it'll be somewhere on the dmv...as for residence, that's anyone that's living in the state in there own apartment or whatever...so if you were on a long holiday, wouldn't count, otherwise, you'd need a local license.

And you'd need the SS office to do a letter with the visa because otherwise, you'd need a SSN to get a drivers license in Cali.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#SSN

About two thirds of the way down this page it explains about not having a SSN. You simply have to prove you are in this country legally.

When we first arrived we got our NJ Licences with no SSNs. We were asked to show our passports, visas and UK Licences and take the test. It was an absolute pain and took us 2 days altogether but we did get our licences.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:49 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by mandpete
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#SSN

About two thirds of the way down this page it explains about not having a SSN. You simply have to prove you are in this country legally.

When we first arrived we got our NJ Licences with no SSNs. We were asked to show our passports, visas and UK Licences and take the test. It was an absolute pain and took us 2 days altogether but we did get our licences.
That's brilliant! Thanks a million

Just goes to show that Average Joe who answers the phone at the DMV has stuff all idea what they're talking about
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Just goes to show that Average Joe who answers the phone at the DMV has stuff all idea what they're talking about
paid minimum wage so probably couldn't care either...
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

who told you that?

Is there such a thing? I've heard of an International Driver's Permit but it is not a license and can only be used in conjunction with a national license.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:21 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Is there such a thing? I've heard of an International Driver's Permit but it is not a license and can only be used in conjunction with a national license.

NC Penguin
I forgot the backslash
meant to say UK / Intl license

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.