Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

help me i beg you!

help me i beg you!

Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

SanDiego101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Bye the way Jaytee u should ask around in England rite now and i can promise you that many MANY people would rather be in southern CALI than ENGLAND. Its just doesnt pack the kinda diverse lifestyle that people seek.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb

Bye the way Jaytee u should ask around in England rite now and i can promise you that many MANY people would rather be in southern CALI than ENGLAND. Its just doesnt pack the kinda diverse lifestyle that people seek.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Having lived here 25 years may I offer another slant on this topic please?

Yes, my inner soul will always be British, not a fact I am so proud of these days, sad to say. The USA and Britain both have their faults; however America has (for the best part) a kind heart for eveyone. Hard to articulate unless one has experienced it.

Take for instance, the reaction a Brit and an American might have, when buying a new car. The Brit will not say anything, or something to the effect "Who does he think he is?" Conversely, the American will say "Great, let's go for a spin. I'm happy for you"

This mentality has never failed to impress me, as I truly believe this is what has made this country (USA) thrive. Oppurtunity for all, without malice.

I hope I have not trodden on any toes. This is my truth for which I will always believe in, through my experience of life. in both countries.

Last edited by Poshpaws; Sep 7th 2003 at 5:44 am.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a minute here......your saying that if I bought a new car (which I have recently), a Brit would be upset with me, while an American would be happy for me? I'm just a bit confused here.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
Just a minute here......your saying that if I bought a new car (which I have recently), a Brit would be upset with me, while an American would be happy for me? .....
Yes, Poshpaws is saying that there maybe a jealousy of success in the UK that you aren't likely to find in the US. I am inclined to agree.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Yes, Poshpaws is saying that there maybe a jealousy of success in the UK that you aren't likely to find in the US. I am inclined to agree.
Yep experienced it myself as well.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SanDiego101

OK, I opened up a small can of worms on this thread. My only point was it seems stupid to bite the hand that feeds you. That is my opinion.

Secondly, I grew up in California. Been there, done that. Great place. Southern California is, arguably, the most desirable place to live, but there are other opportunities ALL OVER the US, somethin' that immigrants learn after a while. The peaceful, laid-back attitude doesn't do much for you personally. You can't take it with you outside of California and expect it to do much for you.

Dude, I am looking to spend a few years in the UK as are many other Americans. If you take a look at home exchange sites, you can get a feel for that.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 8th 2003 at 2:23 am.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up marriage

As far as the marriage thing goes though can anyone tell me the process i should take from the marriage itself onward
Old Sep 8th 2003, 6:23 am
Just Joined

lmysrfr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: marriage

This is an Englishman from Oceanside with a San Diego suggestion.

I have always used an attorney in San Diego, Gary Perl. I recommend legal advise because a lawyer will show you how you can use the law and not break it.

http://www.hirson.com/Mainbody.asp?N...e=location.asp

It will probably cost about $200 for an initial consultation. He can explore and advise on the visa's that you are eligible for.

Good Luck
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:13 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't describe CA as more laid back than Europe. Take the European attitude to topless sunbathing, smoking, sex on TV etc. They are much less uptight about a lot of things. I have found my American in-laws to be very prudish compared to my own mother, for example (though to be fair they are New Englanders not from CA).
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by MrsLondon
I wouldn't describe CA as more laid back than Europe. Take the European attitude to topless sunbathing, smoking, sex on TV etc. They are much less uptight about a lot of things. I have found my American in-laws to be very prudish compared to my own mother, for example (though to be fair they are New Englanders not from CA).

Yes, I believe that to be true.. and to describe California as Democratic and liberal by comparison is false.. there are quite a lot of Republican sprited people there too, on balance, who do not like the "laid-back" attitudes of their state and are constantly pushing for reforms.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 8th 2003 at 11:25 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:35 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

If CA was any more laid bak I think the state would be in a coma! Oh it is - how else can one explain the financial crisis!!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Originally posted by scotch03
If CA was any more laid bak I think the state would be in a coma! Oh it is - how else can one explain the financial crisis!!

Yep. That's where that "laid back" California attitude gets them.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 9th 2003 at 2:17 am.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 3:48 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotch03
If England was such a great place would these people have left?
What nonsense you speak! Most people on this board are here for love, nothing to do with whether England is better or USA is better, it is such a subjective subject you cannot even argue the fact.

If your still checking the soccer scores every saturday and still reading bbc.com or watching bbc america you are still attached to your homeland, everything else is just geography.

Personally I don't care where I live as long as I am with Ellen, people are here for a host of reasons and I bet very few moved here with the main reason being England is crap. Now Scotland on the other hand, full of transvetite alcoholics who thing that beating England at soccer is Nirvana. Run people, save yourselfs - there is a reason Hadrian built a wall!

Patrick
Old Sep 9th 2003, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
What nonsense you speak! Most people on this board are here for love, nothing to do with whether England is better or USA is better, it is such a subjective subject you cannot even argue the fact.

If your still checking the soccer scores every saturday and still reading bbc.com or watching bbc america you are still attached to your homeland, everything else is just geography.

Personally I don't care where I live as long as I am with Ellen, people are here for a host of reasons and I bet very few moved here with the main reason being England is crap. Now Scotland on the other hand, full of transvetite alcoholics who thing that beating England at soccer is Nirvana. Run people, save yourselfs - there is a reason Hadrian built a wall!

Patrick
Oh dear me, what side of the bed did you wake up on today?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.