Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

help me i beg you!

help me i beg you!

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

SanDiego101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy help me i beg you!

Im here in the US for two years in San Diego ,CA because of my dads job working with the US navy but he is a british citizen like my mom and sister. They accept that they are going back at the end of these two years but the thought of going back to my backwater country (ENGLAND, BOO!) makes me feel pretty damn sick. I am 18 and am dating so if i leave im gonna be damn hacked for the rest of my days propably , DAMN!

If anyone could give me any options on how to stay here or at least be able to come back and live here in San Diego i would really, really appreciate it.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

MARTINIUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Staying

Get Married.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help me i beg you!

Originally posted by SanDiego101
..... If anyone could give me any options on how to stay here or at least be able to come back and live here in San Diego i would really, really appreciate it.
Get your own F-1 visa and go to university. You'll have twelve months after graduation to find a job and get a visa to work (not sure which one it is that you can get though - maybe others can help?)
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Im here in the US for two years in San Diego ,CA because of my dads job working with the US navy but he is a british citizen like my mom and sister. They accept that they are going back at the end of these two years but the thought of going back to my backwater country (ENGLAND, BOO!) makes me feel pretty damn sick. I am 18 and am dating so if i leave im gonna be damn hacked for the rest of my days propably , DAMN!

If anyone could give me any options on how to stay here or at least be able to come back and live here in San Diego i would really, really appreciate it.

I have an uncle who lives in San Diego, I get out once in a while to visit. I know it's a pretty nice place to live and all, but I think your going a bit too hard on your home country. "ENGLAND, BOO!" ( in all caps, no less) is a bit unecessary.

Have you told your family how you feel? What's their reaction to all this?

Last edited by Jabba1; Sep 3rd 2003 at 8:01 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Nomatter what you do, England will always be the country of your birth. The longer you live here, and as you become independent, the more you may appreciate your homeland. San Diego, CA is an immensely expensive place for civilian family life.

Talk to your parents, since they are still here in the US, and see what your options are. Your best bet is probably for them to stay here and get LPR status.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 3rd 2003 at 5:36 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Smile

Im sorry if i seem harsh about England iv had some good times there and its a pretty descent place to live, mind the weather but since i arrived in the US in general and i was in D.C Virginia i have generaly loved 99.9% of this country that iv seen so far and i am very happy here and the lifestyle is just the kind of thing i wanna live. I will always be British but just remember that u dont get to choose where your born and you dont have to stay in it if your getting severe feelings of misery. As for my parents staying here thats unfortunately not gonna happen im afraid. Thanks for some of the advice i think marriage would be best option i would live with g/f or wherever shes living till i get the whole ceremonial thing. Hmmmmmmm i wonder if you get the nighting treatment in England? that make u a uk citezen? any other advice would be killer. UH-OH! SURFER DUDE SPEEK I GUESS THE TRANSFER HAS ALREADY BEGUN!:scared:
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Smile

Im sorry if i seem harsh about England iv had some good times there and its a pretty descent place to live, mind the weather but since i arrived in the US in general and i was in D.C Virginia i have generaly loved 99.9% of this country that iv seen so far and i am very happy here and the lifestyle is just the kind of thing i wanna live. I will always be British but just remember that u dont get to choose where your born and you dont have to stay in it if your getting severe feelings of misery. As for my parents staying here thats unfortunately not gonna happen im afraid. Thanks for some of the advice i think marriage would be best option i would live with g/f or wherever shes living till i get the whole ceremonial thing. Hmmmmmmm i wonder if you get the nighting treatment in England? that make u a uk citezen? any other advice would be killer. UH-OH! SURFER DUDE SPEEK I GUESS THE TRANSFER HAS ALREADY BEGUN!:scared:
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:36 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

If harsh is how you feel then so be it - ignore the lectures. If England was such a great place would these people have left?

Pulaski is right - go and study and this gives you time to decide what you want to do. Also visit England with an open mind and make sure you know what you want.

Good luck
Old Sep 5th 2003, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road

When I first moved here from Scotland 8 years ago I felt like I was escaping so to speak and getting to start all over with a clean slate. I definately had negative feelings about living in Britain and never thought I'd even consider living there again. However, I do agree that the longer you're over here, even if you do end up loving America and all it has to offer (which I do and feel lucky every day for the life I have here) the more you end up appreciating all the little things about your home country and your heritage. The longer I'm here the prouder I become to be a Scot and make more of an effort to hold onto those roots.
If you want to stay over here though, there's no reason why you shouldn't and there are many options. Yes, there's the obvious marriage option and if that works out then it's probably the easiest route too. There's also the F-1 Student visa that someone else mentioned. That's what I did initially and there's a lot of great schools out here to choose from. You could also try getting places to sponsor you directly ... I think that's called an H-1 visa but you should probably check on that since I'm not sure. Anyways, those are the main ways that I'm aware of, but you should check into it incase there are other options too. Good luck and I'm glad you're loving life here in Southern Cal. Man could I use a little break from this heat right now though Heheh oh well can't complain too much I guess.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your kind words with regards to my homeland. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scotch03
If harsh is how you feel then so be it - ignore the lectures. If England was such a great place would these people have left?

Pulaski is right - go and study and this gives you time to decide what you want to do. Also visit England with an open mind and make sure you know what you want.

Good luck
Yeah, but is England such a bad place? Doesn't degrading your home country make you look bad? It means the person does not accept who they are. If you came to America, but were born in the UK or came by way of UK citizenship then why does that make the UK a bad country? However you view it, it served it's purpose. I guess I feel that people who are stuck in the UK and cannot live in the US have more of a real complaint. Can't believe anyone who does not accept where they came from can feel good. Whether it's a first or third world country, have some pride in yourself, accept it and move on. The culture you lived in is part of your life in some way and you should not feel forced to deny it during your lifetime.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 6th 2003 at 9:03 am.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 6:01 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

I think that one can be negative about their home country and that should not reflect on them.
Should the Germans be proud of 1940 Germany? I understand why so many Germans distanced themselves and immigrated. Clearly this is not the case in modern Europe but to some people they cannot and do not like they place they where born – so what! It’s hardly a big deal.
Nor do I believe that a country makes a person. In many cases it does but not all. I feel Scottish, am proud of being Scottish and dislike anything British as to me that is a colonial term. However if someone truly does not like something they should not have to lie and say “I’m so happy that I am .........� that would be crazy, undemocratic and some what intellectually flawed.
Saddam Hussein wanted his people to be proud of Iraq – forcing them to be patriotic and look what happened. Is this what you condone? Telling people how they should act and feel? I am confident this is not what you mean but you can see the parallel.
Freedom of expression means that you can express your views, and that others can respond but try and see all sides.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it is to chase your dreams because you will never know if you do not. In terms of putting down England, you could of just said that you do not want to live here and leave it as that..

Do not get married because you want to live in the states that would be wrong, there are other ways as have been suggested here so far.

Keep trying and finding out other ways to live over there legally it is not easy but it can be done.

Never give up on your dreams because does are some of the things that define us!!!

Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:22 pm
Up Yir Kilt

Well said.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Talking

Thanx guys I agknowledge who I am and im not in any way ashamed of it but western European societies are just too formal far too much of the time and it bugs me I just love the Californian laid back attitude. There will always be things I love bout England like rain strangely enough i doubt out here in San Diego ill be seeing too much of that. But the bottom line is that i have come here and im happier than iv been in like 2 yrs and the best thing in life is to do what makes you happy. Oh and besides England always felt like there was a bad vibe in the air personaly don't know bout any a u guys. Thanx again I rekon ill take the student visa option and study at uni then look for some work round here theres gotta be sum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.