Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by NannyAnn
Matt is going to do the written and vision test tomorrow, but there seems to be some clause that you have to have 3 months practise driving before you take the driving part - is that right?!

a few states have that if your under 21 when you take the test or transfer it, so it shouldn't be a problem for most.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I'm really surprised that they sold you a car without insurance to begin with. Must be something that's allowed in NJ.
You don't need proof if private, if from dealer it's not insurance, but insurance binder that's required....but then it's all different in every state.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Wow, thank you so much for all your help. It was so useful to have all those companies mentioned!

Matt went to do his written test and vision test on wednesday as a last minute sort of thing. Only read the manual through once, but managed to pass it needless to say! He said it was much more simple than the one at home.

After the knowledge test we queued again, thinking we had to now book for a driving test, but at the end of the LONG wait, he was handed to NJ driving license! So, we are all set, so to speak.

We called progressive which gave us a really high quote, and Walsh, a company that was recommended by HSBC, Matts emploer which was also really high, and we also had to wait 5 days for it to go through. In the end we called Geico just to see and they were nearly half the price for the same cover, and covered instantly.

So as of today we can drive OUR car (which the dealer delivered secretly to my husband last night, and I a 'treasure hunt' this morning... ) fully insured and licensed. I just need to do my NJ test before too long.

So thank you very much for all your help
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:33 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thank you so much for all your help. It was so useful to have all those companies mentioned!

Matt went to do his written test and vision test on wednesday as a last minute sort of thing. Only read the manual through once, but managed to pass it needless to say! He said it was much more simple than the one at home.

After the knowledge test we queued again, thinking we had to now book for a driving test, but at the end of the LONG wait, he was handed to NJ driving license! So, we are all set, so to speak.

We called progressive which gave us a really high quote, and Walsh, a company that was recommended by HSBC, Matts emploer which was also really high, and we also had to wait 5 days for it to go through. In the end we called Geico just to see and they were nearly half the price for the same cover, and covered instantly.

So as of today we can drive OUR car (which the dealer delivered secretly to my husband last night, and I a 'treasure hunt' this morning... ) fully insured and licensed. I just need to do my NJ test before too long.

So thank you very much for all your help
Excellant news happy driving
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice

Thank you, the perfect excuse to go out shopping and fill our ENOURMOUS boot
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:56 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Junk in your trunk?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

lol, there will be soon
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to your OH.

Bridgewater Mall no doubt.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Possibly, or I may just HAVE to drive a bit further and go and explore Jersey Gardens a bit more... I could spend all day in that place
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly, or I may just HAVE to drive a bit further and go and explore Jersey Gardens a bit more... I could spend all day in that place
Not keen on Jersey Gardens...although to be honest I haven't been back since it first opened. You need to get yourself up to Garden State Mall...now that's what I call a mall...or Short Hills Mall.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Oh god, don't give me names of more places!! Will have to go and investigate... after I've found our nearest post office this afternoon
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh god, don't give me names of more places!! Will have to go and investigate... after I've found our nearest post office this afternoon
Pity my daughter's not around...she knows your area like the back of her hand...she went to school in Martinsville.