Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:23 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
NannyAnn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 71
NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice
Default Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Ok, we need help and fast!

We have been hiring a car for the past 6 weeks since we moved to NJ, whilst we looked for a car to buy second hand. Finally found a car we liked and a dealer that we could handle (just...), and only now does anyone tell us that we can't get insurance...

We have a L1 and L2 visa, Matt has a SSN, mine has been applied for. The insurance company won't insure us with a UK license, even though we have international driver permits.

Matt is going to do the written and vision test tomorrow, but there seems to be some clause that you have to have 3 months practise driving before you take the driving part - is that right?!

My problem is that I can't work out here, so wasn't going to bother with a SSN. However I can't get a NJ driving license without one. So I've applied for a EAD and a SSN purely to get a driving license - seems mad.

Anyway, if anyone has any advise on how we can get insured quickly, we would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Ann

Last edited by NannyAnn; Nov 6th 2007 at 10:28 pm. Reason: wrong word!
NannyAnn is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:47 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 115
jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by NannyAnn View Post
Ok, we need help and fast!

We have been hiring a car for the past 6 weeks since we moved to NJ, whilst we looked for a car to buy second hand. Finally found a car we liked and a dealer that we could handle (just...), and only now does anyone tell us that we can't get insurance...

We have a L1 and L2 visa, Matt has a SSN, mine has been applied for. The insurance company won't insure us with a UK license, even though we have international driver permits.

Matt is going to do the written and vision test tomorrow, but there seems to be some clause that you have to have 3 months practise driving before you take the driving part - is that right?!

My problem is that I can't work out here, so wasn't going to bother with a SSN. However I can't get a NJ driving license without one. So I've applied for a EAD and a SSN purely to get a driving license - seems mad.

Anyway, if anyone has any advise on how we can get insured quickly, we would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Ann
Although every state is different, I think that only applies for new (as in never licensed drivers). Does not NJ deal with overseas licenses in the same way as they would out-of-state licenses? Have you looked here http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...-Citizens.htm?
jenniferpa is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:17 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Kaffy Mintcake's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 8,497
Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by NannyAnn View Post
Ok, we need help and fast!

We have been hiring a car for the past 6 weeks since we moved to NJ, whilst we looked for a car to buy second hand. Finally found a car we liked and a dealer that we could handle (just...), and only now does anyone tell us that we can't get insurance...

We have a L1 and L2 visa, Matt has a SSN, mine has been applied for. The insurance company won't insure us with a UK license, even though we have international driver permits.

Matt is going to do the written and vision test tomorrow, but there seems to be some clause that you have to have 3 months practise driving before you take the driving part - is that right?!

My problem is that I can't work out here, so wasn't going to bother with a SSN. However I can't get a NJ driving license without one. So I've applied for a EAD and a SSN purely to get a driving license - seems mad.

Anyway, if anyone has any advise on how we can get insured quickly, we would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Ann
Hi Ann,

I can't help with the specifics unfortunately, but I wonder if the 3 months of practice driving doesn't refer to new drivers (i.e. those who are learning) vs. experienced drivers who have moved to another country.

Can you see if there is a website for the BMV in your area (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) that could clarify that point?

Good luck! Others will be along shortly to help I'm sure.
Kaffy Mintcake is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:20 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,087
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by NannyAnn View Post
Ok, we need help and fast!

We have been hiring a car for the past 6 weeks since we moved to NJ, whilst we looked for a car to buy second hand. Finally found a car we liked and a dealer that we could handle (just...), and only now does anyone tell us that we can't get insurance...

We have a L1 and L2 visa, Matt has a SSN, mine has been applied for. The insurance company won't insure us with a UK license, even though we have international driver permits.

Matt is going to do the written and vision test tomorrow, but there seems to be some clause that you have to have 3 months practise driving before you take the driving part - is that right?!

My problem is that I can't work out here, so wasn't going to bother with a SSN. However I can't get a NJ driving license without one. So I've applied for a EAD and a SSN purely to get a driving license - seems mad.

Anyway, if anyone has any advise on how we can get insured quickly, we would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Ann
No you don't need 3 mths practise driving if you have a UK license. You just take the written test and vision test. Do not hand over your UK license.

An international license means nothing to the DMV. Make sure you take the necessary documents to prove your identity...NJ DMV is very strict over this.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 6th 2007 at 11:22 pm.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:29 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 115
jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by NannyAnn View Post
Ok, we need help and fast!

We have been hiring a car for the past 6 weeks since we moved to NJ, whilst we looked for a car to buy second hand. Finally found a car we liked and a dealer that we could handle (just...), and only now does anyone tell us that we can't get insurance...

We have a L1 and L2 visa, Matt has a SSN, mine has been applied for. The insurance company won't insure us with a UK license, even though we have international driver permits.

Matt is going to do the written and vision test tomorrow, but there seems to be some clause that you have to have 3 months practise driving before you take the driving part - is that right?!

My problem is that I can't work out here, so wasn't going to bother with a SSN. However I can't get a NJ driving license without one. So I've applied for a EAD and a SSN purely to get a driving license - seems mad.

Anyway, if anyone has any advise on how we can get insured quickly, we would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Ann
This is the info if you haven't seen it http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...n-Citizens.htm
jenniferpa is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:29 pm
  #6  
 
Poppy girl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Reno Nevada
Posts: 15,917
Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Bollocks when I first came here I used my Brit licence and progressive insured me no problem.
Poppy girl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:31 pm
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,087
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
Bollocks when I first came here I used my Brit licence and progressive insured me no problem.
It varies from state to state.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:32 pm
  #8  
Riding on silver wings
 
ugacrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,543
ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

I'm really surprised that they sold you a car without insurance to begin with. Must be something that's allowed in NJ.
ugacrew is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:36 pm
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,087
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by ugacrew View Post
I'm really surprised that they sold you a car without insurance to begin with. Must be something that's allowed in NJ.
In NJ it is illegal to take a new car from the dealership without proof of insurance. The dealer calls your insurance company to confirm. Don't know about used cars. You need proof of insurance to obtain the vehicle registration document.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 6th 2007 at 11:38 pm.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:48 pm
  #10  
Riding on silver wings
 
ugacrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,543
ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
In NJ it is illegal to take a new car from the dealership without proof of insurance. The dealer calls your insurance company to confirm. Don't know about used cars. You need proof of insurance to obtain the vehicle registration document.
Woopsie! I just noticed I wasn't paying attention to detail in the first post. They never said they bought it. Man I've had a long day.
ugacrew is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:51 pm
  #11  
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Don't worry about not having a social security number!

All you need to do (and I found out the hard way on the day I went to take my test) is to go to any social security office in NJ with your passport & I-94 and explain to the counter staff that you need a letter for the Dept of Motor Vehicles stating that you are ineligible for a SSN. You don't need to make an appointment, just turn up but you may have to wait a while. (I returned to the DMV to continue my 'written' test LOL).

You will be given a scrappy sheet of paper which looks like it's been photocopied dozens of times which has the address of the SS office, your name and address, the date and a brief sentence stating that you don't have a SSN as you are ineligible. My son also had to do the same thing a couple of years ago too. The social security office is used to giving out these letters for people to take to the DMV.

PS. Your 'international driving permit' is really of no use here in the US; your British driving licences are in the English language, IDPs are really for translation purposes for the police or car rental companies when a licence is written in say, Russian, Chinese, French etc.

Where are you in NJ? Are you going to the DMVs at Wayne, Jersey City or somewhere further south like Eatontown?

PPS read this and weep:

http://www.british-expats.com/viewto...67f4454c35d1f8

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 7th 2007 at 12:04 am.
Englishmum is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:55 pm
  #12  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,087
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by Englishmum View Post
Don't worry about not having a social security number!

All you need to do (and I found out the hard way on the day I went to take my test) is to go to any social security office in NJ with your passport & I-94 and explain to the counter staff that you need a letter for the Dept of Motor Vehicles stating that you are ineligible for a SSN. You don't need to make an appointment, just turn up but you may have to wait a while. (I returned to the DMV to continue my 'written' test LOL).

You will be given a scrappy sheet of paper which looks like it's been photocopied dozens of times which has the address of the SS office, your name and address, the date and a brief sentence stating that you don't have a SSN as you are ineligible. My son also had to do the same thing a couple of years ago too. The social security office is used to giving out these letters for people to take to the DMV.

PS. Your 'international driving permit' is really of no use here in the US; your British driving licences are in the English language, IDPs are really for translation purposes for the police or car rental companies when a licence is written in say, Russian, Chinese, French etc.

Where are you in NJ? Are you going to the DMVs at Wayne, Jersey City or somewhere further south like Eatontown?
Think she's in the Bridgewater area EM.

I couldn't help with the SS number...we got ours within 24 hrs of landing here.

BTW I see Amex are opening up their lounge in Short Hills Mall again.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 7th 2007 at 12:01 am.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:36 am
  #13  
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Think she's in the Bridgewater area EM.

I couldn't help with the SS number...we got ours within 24 hrs of landing here.

BTW I see Amex are opening up their lounge in Short Hills Mall again.

Interesting!

I've just remembed that we had a lot of trouble getting car insurance initially too. The only place my husband could get insurance from was via Personal Lines in Warren, NJ which was at the time, a subsidiary of Chubb insurance and it would specifically insure new expat arrivals in NJ.

A couple of years ago, Chubb sold off their Personal Lines division and if you go to the old website - http://www.plib.com it now reverts to the company - originally Canadian - which took it over, 'Hub International Personal Lines Insurance' (sounds remarkably like Chubb doesn't it?) and this website is: http://www.hubinternational.com

We dealt with the Personal Lines office at Mountainview Road in Warren, NJ so it may well be worth giving them a call and explaining your situation and see if they'll insure you....and yes, it will be expensive as you'll be on a par with a new teenage driver for risk purposes LOL! Scroll down to see the address...

http://www.calculateme.com/car-insur...sey/warren.htm

(We are with Geico these days as we have a teenage driver in our household) and Chubb, although excellent, was more expensive (we still have Chubb for our house insurance). Not sure if Geico insures 'new' drivers from overseas though....be mindful that very few insurance companies offer motor insurance in NJ, little competition doesn't help with bringing rates down.....
Englishmum is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:52 am
  #14  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,087
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by Englishmum View Post
Interesting!

I've just remembed that we had a lot of trouble getting car insurance initially too. The only place my husband could get insurance from was via Personal Lines in Warren, NJ which was at the time, a subsidiary of Chubb insurance and it would specifically insure new expat arrivals in NJ.

A couple of years ago, Chubb sold off their Personal Lines division and if you go to the old website - http://www.plib.com it now reverts to the company - originally Canadian - which took it over, 'Hub International Personal Lines Insurance' (sounds remarkably like Chubb doesn't it?) and this website is: http://www.hubinternational.com

We dealt with the Personal Lines office at Mountainview Road in Warren, NJ so it may well be worth giving them a call and explaining your situation and see if they'll insure you....and yes, it will be expensive as you'll be on a par with a new teenage driver for risk purposes LOL! Scroll down to see the address...

http://www.calculateme.com/car-insur...sey/warren.htm

(We are with Geico these days as we have a teenage driver in our household) and Chubb, although excellent, was more expensive (we still have Chubb for our house insurance). Not sure if Geico insures 'new' drivers from overseas though....be mindful that very few insurance companies offer motor insurance in NJ, little competition doesn't help with bringing rates down.....
We were lucky we managed to get insurance with NJ Manufacturers through my husband's company. They are supposed to be the best in the state...with regard to premiums, handling insurance claims etc. To be eligible for their insurance you have to be employed by a recognised NJ employer. If eligible I recommend the OP tries NJM.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:08 am
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bluegrass Lass's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: My Old KY Home!
Posts: 6,498
Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Just bought a car and need insurance, waiting to take NJ test...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
No you don't need 3 mths practise driving if you have a UK license. You just take the written test and vision test. Do not hand over your UK license.

An international license means nothing to the DMV. Make sure you take the necessary documents to prove your identity...NJ DMV is very strict over this.
I wish KY had that law. When my now husband arrived, he had to take the written & vision tests to get his permit. Then wait a month to go back and take a driving test.

I sometimes wish that some departments like this could be federally regulated instead of state in order to make the rules a bit easier.
Bluegrass Lass is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.