Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help Frankfurt- Washington - Los Angeles - TOMMOROW !!!

Help Frankfurt- Washington - Los Angeles - TOMMOROW !!!

Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Frankfurt- Washington - Los Angeles - TOMMOROW !!!

Originally Posted by Eskimo
you don't wanna hear this but you're ****ed unless everything is perfect (and youre flying with United ) You will have pick up bags , pass through immigration , recheck bags and then get to your next flight. Here is why we never connect anymore

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=16
Connecting via Canada ain't bad though...through Montreal, bagage was sent straight through to the US because they have pre screening in Canada apparantly, well Montreal at least...but that was a couple years ago....but anyway, immigration wasn't so bad as connecting in the US is...so worth a go..plus it can save you buckets, but then again, Montreal is the same distance as Boston is for me, and either city is a pain in the nuts to drive to...Montreal airport is less hassle to deal with than boston...so normally just drive down from montreal these days than connect via montreal...but it's a good option...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
awesome....what happens next ? Is it a hassle to get another flight ? does that depend on the airline ? Fu**....thats my worst nightmare....
if you miss a connecting flight, you'll be treated like shite, especially with united, there a shite and poxy airline anyway, and you'll be nibbling your knees on a long flight because of the luxurious amount of space they give you....but if you have travel insurance, they should cover your costs after the fact, but will be a marewhile your at the airport.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:11 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
There is not fast track for connecting flights like with heathrow etc, over here, you have to go through immigration, get your bags and re-check them in and go through it all again....and with size of airport, time of getting bags, which takes and age...and if like me, finding a bog, you'll be on tight rope...but not much help to you now that you have your ticket I'm afraid
thanks anyway....there is another 2 United flights AFTER my one from washington to LA.....is it easy to get on a later one or are they usually being wan*ers about this as well?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

thanks anyway....there is another 2 United flights AFTER my one from washington to LA.....is it easy to get on a later one or are they usually being wan*ers about this as well?
United, well depends who you get on the night, but usually, they'll try and still you for another ticket because they'll say you voided your tickets for not making a flight or any such rubbish....lot of ranting often helps with the supervisors
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

see link in my first post - the missus started bubbling and we still waited 5 hours. Funny thing is we only got a flight to LA cos a bunch of other people missed it due to shite connections
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:26 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

see link in my first post - the missus started bubbling and we still waited 5 hours. Funny thing is we only got a flight to LA cos a bunch of other people missed it due to shite connections
Fantastic....let the nightmare begin....
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Fantastic....let the nightmare begin....
if that flight is bang on time or early you have chance .. you cant just do hand luggae can ya ? what passport do you have ?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:32 pm
Melbourne Rock City

if that flight is bang on time or early you have chance .. you cant just do hand luggae can ya ? what passport do you have ?
Im german (we didnt agree with the recent war remember :-) guess that wont help), I cant do just handluggage, I wish I could...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

Im german (we didnt agree with the recent war remember :-) guess that wont help.
nah immigration dont discriminate - they hate us all - we have a Green Card now so in theory the immigration bit is sorted but I still dont chance it - Heathrow direct every time now

Good luck !
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:38 pm
Melbourne Rock City

nah immigration dont discriminate - they hate us all - we have a Green Card now so in theory the immigration bit is sorted but I still dont chance it - Heathrow direct every time now

Good luck !
thanks mate
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:07 pm
Melbourne Rock City

well, suprisingly it all worked out very very well....thanks anyway....united are crap, you are right !
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Washington Dulles is your port of entry.
you'll have to transit customs with all that you are entering into the USA with.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

well, suprisingly it all worked out very very well....thanks anyway....united are crap, you are right !
Glad you went through okay, it can be a nightmare I've experienced that myself.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:48 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Connecting via Canada ain't bad though...through Montreal, bagage was sent straight through to the US because they have pre screening in Canada apparantly, well Montreal at least...but that was a couple years ago....but anyway, immigration wasn't so bad as connecting in the US is...so worth a go..plus it can save you buckets, but then again, Montreal is the same distance as Boston is for me, and either city is a pain in the nuts to drive to...Montreal airport is less hassle to deal with than boston...so normally just drive down from montreal these days than connect via montreal...but it's a good option...

My closest international airport is Montreal but can never find decent prices through there. Care to share any handy tips for cheapo flights?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I fly United all the time and rarely have problems. Once they even kept the gate open for me for a couple of extra minutes when the flight was about to close. (My son ran ahead to alert them, whilst muggins here followed - panting - with all the hand luggage...)

If you do miss a connection, I'm sure they'd rebook you on the next available flight without penalty. (Though if there are no further flights that day, you're stuck and they really do not care!)

I think it pays to stick mainly with one airline, so they give you Premier status (which on United includes extra legroom seats...)

I regularly pass through Dulles on my way to Europe and I think it is one of the better places to clear immigration. The lines always seem much shorter (even for non GC holders) than at ORD - or JFK or EWR :scared: )

Canada - especially Vancouver, but NOT Toronto! - is also a good gateway, IME.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.