British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help Frankfurt- Washington - Los Angeles - TOMMOROW !!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-frankfurt-washington-los-angeles-tommorow-360566/)

rubbeldiekatz Mar 11th 2006 4:17 pm

Help Frankfurt- Washington - Los Angeles - TOMMOROW !!!

G´day folks.....Im going to fly to LA tomorrow via Washington. I have to swap planes in washington and I have 2 hours and 15 minutes between arrival and departure of the LA flight....is that enough time ? Do I have to check in again in washington or will they give me the boardingpass for washington - LA in frankfurt already ? Im flying United Airlines....I hope this is not too confusing....Im stressing out a little as I dont wanna get stuck in washington.....HELP PLEASE :-) Has anyone done this before ?

BigDavyG Mar 11th 2006 4:27 pm

Re: Help Frankfurt- Washington - Los Angeles - TOMMOROW !!!

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
G´day folks.....Im going to fly to LA tomorrow via Washington. I have to swap planes in washington and I have 2 hours and 15 minutes between arrival and departure of the LA flight....is that enough time ? Do I have to check in again in washington or will they give me the boardingpass for washington - LA in frankfurt already ? Im flying United Airlines....I hope this is not too confusing....Im stressing out a little as I dont wanna get stuck in washington.....HELP PLEASE :-) Has anyone done this before ?

In the US you have to collect your bags and take them through security again - i believe that you will also recheck in in washington and receive your new boarding pass there

Bob Mar 11th 2006 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
In the US you have to collect your bags and take them through security again - i believe that you will also recheck in in washington and receive your new boarding pass there

Aye, that's what'll happen generally....so 2 hours could be cutting it a bit fine because US immigration and customs are generally a bunch of muppets and take forever....but at least you can now carry nail clippers :D

rubbeldiekatz Mar 11th 2006 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, that's what'll happen generally....so 2 hours could be cutting it a bit fine because US immigration and customs are generally a bunch of muppets and take forever....but at least you can now carry nail clippers :D

that is EXACTLY what I wanted to avoid....

BigDavyG Mar 11th 2006 4:37 pm

that is EXACTLY what I wanted to avoid....

Oh, and they won't give a toss if you have a connecting flight to make - happened to me last year at newark and i didn't even come close to making my flight - i was in a queue waiting to leave the baggage reclaim hll when my flight left

rubbeldiekatz Mar 11th 2006 4:43 pm

Oh, and they won't give a toss if you have a connecting flight to make - happened to me last year at newark and i didn't even come close to making my flight - i was in a queue waiting to leave the baggage reclaim hll when my flight left

awesome....what happens next ? Is it a hassle to get another flight ? does that depend on the airline ? Fu**....thats my worst nightmare....

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 4:50 pm

awesome....what happens next ? Is it a hassle to get another flight ? does that depend on the airline ? Fu**....thats my worst nightmare....

you don't wanna hear this but you're ****ed unless everything is perfect (and youre flying with United :rolleyes: ) You will have pick up bags , pass through immigration , recheck bags and then get to your next flight. Here is why we never connect anymore :mad:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=16

rubbeldiekatz Mar 11th 2006 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
you don't wanna hear this but you're ****ed unless everything is perfect (and youre flying with United :rolleyes: ) You will have pick up bags , pass through immigration , recheck bags and then get to your next flight. Here is why we never connect anymore :mad:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=16

unreal.....cant wait for the trip to start.....my travel agent said that I DO NOT have to pick up bags in washington....any chance this might be true ?

BigDavyG Mar 11th 2006 4:58 pm

I flew with continental that time and newark was their hub.
Lucky they had regular flights to my destination and i evben had to rush to make the next available as the w***ers sent me to zecondary screening.

Oh, nd interestingly that's 3 out of my lst 5 flights where i have been "randomly" selected for secondary screening :rolleyes:

BigDavyG Mar 11th 2006 4:59 pm

unreal.....cant wait for the trip to start.....my travel agent said that I DO NOT have to pick up bags in washington....any chance this might be true ?

None whatsoever - its a security thing apparently thoguh i don't understand it myself

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 5:00 pm

sorry you have to walk em through immigration mate

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 5:01 pm

Oh, nd interestingly that's 3 out of my lst 5 flights where i have been "randomly" selected for secondary screening :rolleyes:

:D aint that the truth - I used to get it all the bloody time

TouristTrap Mar 11th 2006 5:03 pm

Hubby was over in 92 and they checked bags through then. I came over in 97 for the first time and they'd changed the rules. Pick up at first point of arrival and then re-check them through.

Bob Mar 11th 2006 5:03 pm

BA usually help you get through there lines pretty quickly if they know your in a connecting flight...doesn't help with immigration nor customs though...

Bob Mar 11th 2006 5:05 pm

There is not fast track for connecting flights like with heathrow etc, over here, you have to go through immigration, get your bags and re-check them in and go through it all again....and with size of airport, time of getting bags, which takes and age...and if like me, finding a bog, you'll be on tight rope...but not much help to you now that you have your ticket I'm afraid :(