Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help deciding if moving to Maine is a good idea

Help deciding if moving to Maine is a good idea

Old Mar 17th 2024, 4:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help deciding if moving to Maine is a good idea

Originally Posted by DallasMama
First off, if the position is fully remote why do they require you to relocate to the US? Will this even qualify for visa sponsorship? ....
Her fiancé is American, meaning a slam-dunk route to a visa to live and work in the US is just a quick trip to the local courthouse (plus visa fees and a wait for paperwork processing) away.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

DallasMama is an unknown quantity at this point

And OP will still need a financial sponsor even if she marries her “partner “, as he makes 0% of the minimum threshold being a stay at home dad. Unless he plans on working and hence the two year old needing daycare…I don’t know.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 5:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DallasMama
And OP will still need a financial sponsor even if she marries her “partner “, as he makes 0% of the minimum threshold being a stay at home dad. Unless he plans on working and hence the two year old needing daycare…I don’t know.
He's in London, so his earnings would be irrelevant even if he wasn't a stay-at-home dad (unless he was working remotely, though historically US visa processors apparently rarely accept that employment would continue after a move to the US).

Anyway, the OP may be able to meet the financial requirements by using "assets". In addition to cash and liquid investments, the US accepts other assets, such as real estate, net of mortgages, assuming it is vacant and available for sale. That is how I qualified without any need for a sponsor, and my home didn't finally sell until 9 months after I had been granted a visa, and 7 months after I had arrived in the US, so in reality there was no need to sell it at all if I had decided to keep it, it just needed to be an available asset.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 17th 2024 at 5:45 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Greater Boston area has world class private schools around ~60k/year, currently hemorrhaging faculty to the UMass system which is rapidly catching up and much cheaper.
Are you including universities in the word "school" as in American usage? Private universities in the US can cost $60k/year for full-pay students (though many get some amount of financial aid). But private primary/secondary schools are usually around half that as Pulaski mentioned.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by HDWill
Are you including universities in the word "school" as in American usage? Private universities in the US can cost $60k/year for full-pay students (though many get some amount of financial aid). But private primary/secondary schools are usually around half that as Pulaski mentioned.
Nah, he's talking schools 5-18 education. In Boston and greater New York (incl NJ and CT) there are a few schools with utterly stupid annual fees. .... I couldn't afford to move back to the NE because of housing costs, so I can't imagine adding private school fees on top!
Old Mar 17th 2024, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nah, he's talking schools 5-18 education. In Boston and greater New York (incl NJ and CT) there are a few schools with utterly stupid annual fees. .... I couldn't afford to move back to the NE because of housing costs, so I can't imagine adding private school fees on top!
It looks like the school OP was referring to (Waynflete School) is around $30-35k.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by HDWill
It looks like the school OP was referring to (Waynflete School) is around $30-35k.
That makes a bit more sense for a high-end school in Maine, closer to what I would expect.
Old Mar 18th 2024, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Either or tbh with NE. Although public school system in our area is good (enough).