Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello from Sacramento, CA

Hello from Sacramento, CA

Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:27 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Sacramento, CA

Hello and Welcome
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gardnma
Tart.

bleedin' hussy more like

ooopppps nearly forgot welcome martin

Last edited by TruBrit; Dec 11th 2006 at 9:41 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 12:13 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinF
Hi, by the way. I've been lurking for a while (heck, I may have even posted something), but I forgot to introducte myself... anyways, here goes ...

IT Worker, living/working in Sacramento, California. H1-B.
Single (not advertising the fact: simply means that I have no knowledge/experience of finding kids' schools etc).

Used to live in Bournemouth.

If anyone can suggest a tax advisor (or such like), that'll be one awesome Christmas prezzy for me!

Welcome Martin.

For my tax advice (as an ex-H1-B myself) see this thread.

I had a right saga with H&R Block Premium, and wouldn't recommend them. Global Tax Network have glowing reviews, but at the time I wasn't comfortable doing the whole thing over the phone and faxing/emailing my documents to them. In retrospect I should have, and saved myself from H&R Blockhead.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:01 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Welcome Martin.

For my tax advice (as an ex-H1-B myself) see this thread.

I had a right saga with H&R Block Premium, and wouldn't recommend them. Global Tax Network have glowing reviews, but at the time I wasn't comfortable doing the whole thing over the phone and faxing/emailing my documents to them. In retrospect I should have, and saved myself from H&R Blockhead.
I think it comes down to the individual you deal with in any of the tax return companies. I had no problems with HR Block when I dealt with them but the individual was good and was interested in learning about the UK/US tax relationship.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:22 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I think it comes down to the individual you deal with in any of the tax return companies. I had no problems with HR Block when I dealt with them but the individual was good and was interested in learning about the UK/US tax relationship.
Why would I choose to pay for someone to learn about US tax law? I can do that myself, for free. And if they're learning then I need to know more than them in order to be confident that they got it right.

H&R Block are damned close to being a scam. They've been busted for their business practices and the astronomical APR on their "Refund Advance" loans. Their operatives are given a few hours training on how to use the company's tax preparation software, and are then let loose to fleece the public.

Sure, you can find "real" tax professionals working there... if you're very, very lucky. But the fact remains that no tax professional worth a damn would be seen working for a company like Block.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:53 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Why would I choose to pay for someone to learn about US tax law? I can do that myself, for free. And if they're learning then I need to know more than them in order to be confident that they got it right.

H&R Block are damned close to being a scam. They've been busted for their business practices and the astronomical APR on their "Refund Advance" loans. Their operatives are given a few hours training on how to use the company's tax preparation software, and are then let loose to fleece the public.

Sure, you can find "real" tax professionals working there... if you're very, very lucky. But the fact remains that no tax professional worth a damn would be seen working for a company like Block.
I didn't pay for the time she spent learning, she was a trained accountant and had some experience of overseas workers but not UKCs. You may have time to learn about the intricacies, I had better things to do. As I said, it often comes down to the individual you get.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:51 am
Just Joined

MartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the warm welcomes - and the tax advisor advice too.

I think because I arrived part way through the year, I cannot take the "standard deduction"; I have to itemize everything... and as a single person with no kids, I don't have a lot of tax-deductable things to itemize!

It looks like this year I will be submitting UK, US Federal and California tax returns. Ugh! :-)
Old Dec 13th 2006, 12:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinF

It looks like this year I will be submitting UK, US Federal and California tax returns. Ugh! :-)
Fill in P85 to the inland rev, saying your not a resident, get the tax refunded, and then just file US taxes at end of year...