British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hello from Sacramento, CA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hello-sacramento-ca-412909/)

MartinF Dec 10th 2006 1:59 pm

Hello from Sacramento, CA

Hi, by the way. I've been lurking for a while (heck, I may have even posted something), but I forgot to introducte myself... anyways, here goes ...

IT Worker, living/working in Sacramento, California. H1-B.
Single (not advertising the fact: simply means that I have no knowledge/experience of finding kids' schools etc).

Used to live in Bournemouth.

If anyone can suggest a tax advisor (or such like), that'll be one awesome Christmas prezzy for me!

:beer:

Bob Dec 10th 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Hello from Sacramento, CA

Welcome to BE :)

And tax people, well ernest jones aren't bad....hr block, if you don't have anything complicated...

MartinF Dec 10th 2006 2:10 pm

Thanks Bill.

I'm trying to work out how to minimize my tax bill - if I have to pay taxes in both countries, how to avoid being double taxed etc etc. I'm assuming the average H&R high-street office won't have any experience of UK tax law.

Sue Dec 10th 2006 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MartinF
Hi, by the way. I've been lurking for a while (heck, I may have even posted something), but I forgot to introducte myself... anyways, here goes ...

Single (not advertising the fact: simply means that I have no knowledge/experience of finding kids' schools etc).

If anyone can suggest a tax advisor (or such like), that'll be one awesome Christmas prezzy for me!

Welcome

Bob Dec 10th 2006 2:36 pm

I'm trying to work out how to minimize my tax bill - if I have to pay taxes in both countries, how to avoid being double taxed etc etc. I'm assuming the average H&R high-street office won't have any experience of UK tax law.

they might do, it's luck of the draw.

But you don't pay tax twice, there's a tax agreement, but you still have to declare any assets over $10K abroad...and if you have income aboard, you don't pay tax to the IRS unless it's over $80K.

Jerseygirl Dec 10th 2006 3:55 pm

Hello there Martin and welcome. :)

Sally Dec 10th 2006 4:16 pm

Welcome. I am in LA.

What we did was pay UK taxes for the part of the year until we came over here, then pay US taxes from when we arrived. As Bob said you would have to declare any foreign assets.

We used a local financial adviser who seemed to cope ok.

Pony Dec 10th 2006 4:17 pm

Welcome to BE.

The UK and USA have a double taxation agreement:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/bulletins/tbse6.pdf

I submit all my tax returns in the US using TurboTax, the only reason
I use this is the father-in-law buys it and it happens to also run on my Mac.
Because of my moving expenses I got a nice big (full refund) tax return last year.

TurboTax was all I needed, I didn't need a tax expert. Unless your case is complicated then consider whats already available in software.

Don't forget to claim your moving expenses against your tax return.
"Your move may be from one U.S. location to another or from a foreign country to the United States."
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/

Thanks Bill.

anabella Dec 11th 2006 3:13 am

Hello and welcome :)

Partystar Dec 11th 2006 4:07 am

Welcome to BE! :)

:beer: :beer: :beer:

britvic Dec 11th 2006 4:10 am

Welcome to BE Martin :) ere Girl's did you read the part that he is single :D

gardnma Dec 11th 2006 4:23 am

Originally Posted by britvic
Welcome to BE Martin :) ere Girl's did you read the part that he is single :D

Tart.

gardnma Dec 11th 2006 4:23 am

Hi, by......................(or such like), that'll be one awesome Christmas prezzy for me! :beer:

Wotcher.

britvic Dec 11th 2006 4:26 am

Originally Posted by gardnma
Tart.

PMSL, nice to be nice init mate ;)

gardnma Dec 11th 2006 4:30 am

Originally Posted by britvic
PMSL, nice to be nice init mate ;)

You have to be you. :D