Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heating Oil Contracts?!?!?

Heating Oil Contracts?!?!?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating Oil Contracts?!?!?

Originally Posted by Bob
In my town, it's via the mains, our old town didn't have mains gas, so it'd be a tank, and not worth it.

Thing is, a lot of houses here in my area have gas cookers and/or gas washing machine/dryers. So there's often already a gas line in to the house, so getting the heat via gas isn't much work.

It'd be a no go other wise unless your whole heating system died.

Amusingly enough, we looked at renting a house which was lovely. Had gas for the cooker and the dryer and was on the mains, but the owner had put in a new oil furnace a year or so ago because that's what had died before. Didn't even consider gas, despite the oil bill being around $500 a month during the winter....daft mare.
The other reason to put in the initial investment of a propane tank would be the hot water heater. Because we don't have gas, our hot water heater is
electric, which is horrendously expensive. Our electric bill is never less than $120 dollars a month. Since we don't have a/c, then that must be mostly hot water in the summer months, since I assume the fridge is the only other major electricity sink..

So we've thought of getting in propane for the hot water heater, then we'd be able to get a gas stove for the kitchen, which would have the added advantage of meaning that we could still cook in a power outage (except of course we'd still have no water..)