Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

car insurance contract cooling off in CA?

car insurance contract cooling off in CA?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default car insurance contract cooling off in CA?

Hi
I just purchased a car and the dealership gave me a number to call "on the spot" to insure the car before we could go any further
we did not have insurance before as we did not know what car we would get
It turns out that I received the papers via email and the price is higher than he first said and pages are missing
now I had time to look around I found another provider cheaper
does anyone know if there is a cooling off period for car insurance in California? or Am i obliged to stick with it for a year?
thank you!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance contract cooling off in CA?

Originally Posted by laety View Post
Hi
I just purchased a car and the dealership gave me a number to call "on the spot" to insure the car before we could go any further
It turns out that I received the papers via email and the price is higher than he first said and pages are missing
does anyone know if there is a cooling off period for car insurance in California? or Am i obliged to stick with it for a year?
thank you!
There is no "cooling off period" but assuming you obtain other insurance, you can cancel your existing insurance and receive a pro-rated credit. But make very sure your new insurance is in place before cancelling the old insurance.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

ah so we dont have to stay with them for a year then?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

lots of car insurance is just for 6 months
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned, if you cancel the policy you should be able to get back the pro-rated amount that represents any time that you've paid for in advance beyond the cancellation date.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

yes i had a look and it does say that, however they want to charge some cancellation fees. I had a closer look at the insurance document and the cover is not very high
ie:
Body injure is 25000/50000
um bi : nothing
pd : 25000
medical payments : nothing
we didnt even cover this yesterday on the phone

do you have those? does the above seem normal for the US??

also he made assumptions like I had my driving licence for 16 years which I havent and a lot of things like that... im not very confortable with this document!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:14 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
thank you!
Giantaxe is right I have done what you want to do and I am in CA.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

yes i had a look and it does say that, however they want to charge some cancellation fees. I had a closer look at the insurance document and the cover is not very high
ie:
Body injure is 25000/50000
um bi : nothing
pd : 25000
medical payments : nothing
we didnt even cover this yesterday on the phone

do you have those? does the above seem normal for the US??

also he made assumptions like I had my driving licence for 16 years which I havent and a lot of things like that... im not very confortable with this document!
That looks like the minimum required in California. I would suggest that you get the maximum allowed (usually does not cost much more than the minimum) by your insurance company without having to get quotes from an underwriter which is usually 100k/300k/100k or more depending on the insurance company.