Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:22 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 5
Midtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

I am likely to stop working for my company mid January, at which point my L1 status will be revoked. In order that we could have a less hectic move back to the UK the plan was to apply for a B2 Visa before leaving my company and then stay for a couple of months to sell the house etc. Seemed like a good plan until I tried to get healthcare insurance to cover the family while still in the US. Because the B2 application will be in process for a few months we will be in a limbo state, neither in status or out of status. Every health insurance company I have spoken to has said that they will not be able to provide us cover while waiting for the B2 to be approved.

Does anybody have experience of this and is there anyway to get health insurance while waiting for the B2 to be approved.

TIA
Midtec is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:30 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,133
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Originally Posted by Midtec View Post
I am likely to stop working for my company mid January, at which point my L1 status will be revoked. In order that we could have a less hectic move back to the UK the plan was to apply for a B2 Visa before leaving my company and then stay for a couple of months to sell the house etc. Seemed like a good plan until I tried to get healthcare insurance to cover the family while still in the US. Because the B2 application will be in process for a few months we will be in a limbo state, neither in status or out of status. Every health insurance company I have spoken to has said that they will not be able to provide us cover while waiting for the B2 to be approved.

Does anybody have experience of this and is there anyway to get health insurance while waiting for the B2 to be approved.

TIA
COBRA coverage from your current employer?
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:42 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
COBRA coverage from your current employer?
Might be the best option, though very expensive.

I do not believe the marketplace is available to people on a B2.
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:49 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 10,678
Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
Might be the best option, though very expensive.

I do not believe the marketplace is available to people on a B2.
Not necessarily. If someone was working for a company with younger, healthier people, the premiums should be low. Cobra can charge a maximum of 5% over the average cost of insuring employees for administrative processing.

The last time I used Cobra, it was very inexpensive with excellent coverage but 10 years earlier, it was nearly double the price with another company for the same coverage.
Michael is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:59 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Not necessarily. If someone was working for a company with younger, healthier people, the premiums should be low. Cobra can charge a maximum of 5% over the average cost of insuring employees for administrative processing.

The last time I used Cobra, it was very inexpensive with excellent coverage but 10 years earlier, it was nearly double the price with another company for the same coverage.
I should have explained my comment more. People are often shocked by the cost of cobra because they forget that they have to pay the full premium i.e. the bit your company was paying as well as the premium they paid before (I'll admit the calculation is a little more complicated than that). So if your company heavily subsidizes the premiums it can be a bit of a shock.
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:38 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,191
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
I should have explained my comment more. People are often shocked by the cost of cobra because they forget that they have to pay the full premium i.e. the bit your company was paying as well as the premium they paid before (I'll admit the calculation is a little more complicated than that). So if your company heavily subsidizes the premiums it can be a bit of a shock.
Agree...... my Cobra premium would have increased my monthly bill from $190 with my company to over $400 due to me having to pay the company's portion.
SanDiegogirl is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:04 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 10,678
Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Also I believe they have 60 days to sign up and if they need medical care, they can sign up anytime up to 60 days and back premiums will be paid and they will be covered from day 1 after they leave employment but if they leave before the 60 days and they don't need the insuurance, the don't owe any premiums.
Michael is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:06 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,191
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Also I believe they have 60 days to sign up and if they need medical care, they can sign up anytime up to 60 days and back premiums will be paid and they will be covered from day 1 after they leave employment but if they leave before the 60 days and they don't need the insuurance, the don't owe any premiums.
Correct.....
SanDiegogirl is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 4:00 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 2,429
durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Is travel insurance a possibility? Such as from World Nomads?

https://www.worldnomads.com/
durham_lad is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:05 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 5
Midtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, I am working through with the company at the moment to see if Cobra is an option. I'll let you know how I get on.
Midtec is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.