British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/healthcare-insurance-moving-l1-b2-848916/)

Midtec Dec 15th 2014 5:22 pm

Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

I am likely to stop working for my company mid January, at which point my L1 status will be revoked. In order that we could have a less hectic move back to the UK the plan was to apply for a B2 Visa before leaving my company and then stay for a couple of months to sell the house etc. Seemed like a good plan until I tried to get healthcare insurance to cover the family while still in the US. Because the B2 application will be in process for a few months we will be in a limbo state, neither in status or out of status. Every health insurance company I have spoken to has said that they will not be able to provide us cover while waiting for the B2 to be approved.

Does anybody have experience of this and is there anyway to get health insurance while waiting for the B2 to be approved.

TIA

Giantaxe Dec 15th 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Healthcare insurance - Moving from L1 to B2

Originally Posted by Midtec (Post 11503265)
I am likely to stop working for my company mid January, at which point my L1 status will be revoked. In order that we could have a less hectic move back to the UK the plan was to apply for a B2 Visa before leaving my company and then stay for a couple of months to sell the house etc. Seemed like a good plan until I tried to get healthcare insurance to cover the family while still in the US. Because the B2 application will be in process for a few months we will be in a limbo state, neither in status or out of status. Every health insurance company I have spoken to has said that they will not be able to provide us cover while waiting for the B2 to be approved.

Does anybody have experience of this and is there anyway to get health insurance while waiting for the B2 to be approved.

TIA

COBRA coverage from your current employer?

sir_eccles Dec 15th 2014 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 11503271)
COBRA coverage from your current employer?

Might be the best option, though very expensive.

I do not believe the marketplace is available to people on a B2.

Michael Dec 15th 2014 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11503289)
Might be the best option, though very expensive.

I do not believe the marketplace is available to people on a B2.

Not necessarily. If someone was working for a company with younger, healthier people, the premiums should be low. Cobra can charge a maximum of 5% over the average cost of insuring employees for administrative processing.

The last time I used Cobra, it was very inexpensive with excellent coverage but 10 years earlier, it was nearly double the price with another company for the same coverage.

sir_eccles Dec 15th 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11503297)
Not necessarily. If someone was working for a company with younger, healthier people, the premiums should be low. Cobra can charge a maximum of 5% over the average cost of insuring employees for administrative processing.

The last time I used Cobra, it was very inexpensive with excellent coverage but 10 years earlier, it was nearly double the price with another company for the same coverage.

I should have explained my comment more. People are often shocked by the cost of cobra because they forget that they have to pay the full premium i.e. the bit your company was paying as well as the premium they paid before (I'll admit the calculation is a little more complicated than that). So if your company heavily subsidizes the premiums it can be a bit of a shock.

SanDiegogirl Dec 15th 2014 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11503309)
I should have explained my comment more. People are often shocked by the cost of cobra because they forget that they have to pay the full premium i.e. the bit your company was paying as well as the premium they paid before (I'll admit the calculation is a little more complicated than that). So if your company heavily subsidizes the premiums it can be a bit of a shock.

Agree...... my Cobra premium would have increased my monthly bill from $190 with my company to over $400 due to me having to pay the company's portion.

Michael Dec 15th 2014 9:04 pm

Also I believe they have 60 days to sign up and if they need medical care, they can sign up anytime up to 60 days and back premiums will be paid and they will be covered from day 1 after they leave employment but if they leave before the 60 days and they don't need the insuurance, the don't owe any premiums.

SanDiegogirl Dec 15th 2014 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11503473)
Also I believe they have 60 days to sign up and if they need medical care, they can sign up anytime up to 60 days and back premiums will be paid and they will be covered from day 1 after they leave employment but if they leave before the 60 days and they don't need the insuurance, the don't owe any premiums.

Correct.....

durham_lad Dec 18th 2014 4:00 am

Is travel insurance a possibility? Such as from World Nomads?

https://www.worldnomads.com/

Midtec Dec 18th 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, I am working through with the company at the moment to see if Cobra is an option. I'll let you know how I get on.