Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's just it I don't think the OP wants to spend anything.
Looking at it from the Employers perspective.

They set the rules, he needs to work out how best to work them.

Just life.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am getting a little confused here. You say you have good jobs...therefore I presume good salaries...but expect UK citizens/taxpayers to pay for your USC wife's healthcare. Your wife is a USC...surely she should be familiar with the healthcare system in her own county.
You'd think so, but my husband had no idea & was as shocked as I was!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:38 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
Like I said people in England do not know how lucky they are I think.

I may be very naive about the whole situation back home since I havent been to the doctor or been sick for about 15 years or and have never had a pregnancy. Maybe I just imagine some utopia where everything is free!
I agree, I really thought things would be better for us here paying for our own healthcare/insurance, but it's worked out much worse for us. It's also another reason that we have decided not to have another child, I've heard way too many horror stories & we just can't afford it.

I had my son in Oxford & it was a great experience, yes they were under staffed, but that happens a lot in emergency departments as they never know how many urgent patients are going to walk through their door.

Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:40 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
If her pregnancy is normal she won't need too much poking around. In the UK you don't even see a doctor for normal pregnancies.
Errr, I did. Is this really the norm? Who else didn't see a doctor when they were pregnant?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:43 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Errr, I did. Is this really the norm? Who else didn't see a doctor when they were pregnant?
I had both my kids in the UK many years ago and went for regular checks when i was pregnant. My friends daughter has just had a baby in the UK and she went for regular checks.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

If pregnant women don't see a doctor, where do they get those ultrasound polaroids from, where you can't tell if it's a baby person in there, or a baby lizard? I thought everyone had those these days.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:47 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

I think according to my mum, its more of a norm in recent years for constant poking around..
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:48 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Its all a question of programme design, how much you wamnt to spend and where you want to spend it.
Yep. But I've actually seen companies encourage the man-works-til-he-drops, woman-stays-at-home-so-she-can-handle-the-house-and-kids-while-the-man-works
model actively encouraged through the use of policies and benefits.

And then there was the lovely case when I was 17 and working with insurance benefits.

An African-American worker who management saw as trouble because she was an aggressive union leader had a 19-year-old daughter who fell pregnant. The policy usually is that over 18s must be enrolled *full time* at university or college in order to be covered, and this meant 12 course hours per semester.

Management checked with the college and was told that the girl only had nine course hours on her schedule. Coverage denied. They didn't check anyone else for the year I was there, including the white *granddaughter* of a salaried worker who also fell pregnant -- they didn't ask for a legal statement of dependency or guardianship.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
I had both my kids in the UK many years ago and went for regular checks when i was pregnant. My friends daughter has just had a baby in the UK and she went for regular checks.
With a doctor, midwife or both?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:58 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by cinnabar
If pregnant women don't see a doctor, where do they get those ultrasound polaroids from, where you can't tell if it's a baby person in there, or a baby lizard? I thought everyone had those these days.
Ultrasounds are usually done by an Ultrasound Technician/Radiologist under the NHS.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:00 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
I think according to my mum, its more of a norm in recent years for constant poking around..
I was only poked & prodded once during my pregnancy, which was right at the end & then of course when I was in labour. I think the American docs do much more poking & prodding then Brit docs, my American friend told me she had an internal at every appointment! :scared:
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:11 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I was only poked & prodded once during my pregnancy, which was right at the end & then of course when I was in labour. I think the American docs do much more poking & prodding then Brit docs, my American friend told me she had an internal at every appointment! :scared:

I can't compare the two because I've only had the one experience, but you get seen very regularly through the American system. Well, you do through the American military anyway. Every 4-6 weeks until you are in your last trimester then it was every week. I had several ultrasounds but only because I was classed as a high risk pregnancy. I only had extra ultrasounds because of that, the check ups were the regular regime for every pregnancy.
So, how much does it cost on average to have a baby in this country?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Ultrasounds are usually done by an Ultrasound Technician/Radiologist under the NHS.
But don't you have to be referred by a doctor? You can't just turn up at the Radiology dept and ask them to scan you?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
So, how much does it cost on average to have a baby in this country?
Doesn't cost me anything....I keep me legs crossed.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I think the American docs do much more poking & prodding then Brit docs,
I've always thought that also, when my little Lad had his four year check, they pulled his four skin back and bent him over to look right up the bottey :scared: now really was that absolutely necessary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.