Reload this Page >

Health Insurance - Help

Health Insurance - Help

Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:39 am
Just Joined

hitousa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance - Help

Hi,

I have my company's health insurance plan. which covers my wife's pregnancy expenses (ofcourse with annual deductable $750 and 80 & 20 co-pay). I am planning to change job soon. What will happen to the insurance coverage for my wife. I am not sure what will be the insurance company name and benefits of my new company at present.

I am really confused. Can someone please help me.

With regards,
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance - Help

you'll have to ask what will be covered with the new place...most places, when you leave the cover will stop, and then with a new place, cover might not start straight away, sometimes have to be there for 3 months before it starts, sometimes less...and pre-existing conditions like having a baby might not be covered for a grace period of whatever month...so we really can't help you because insurance coverage really varies so much from insurance company as well as employer and state.....goodluck with it though, and welcome to the forums
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitousa
Hi,

I have my company's health insurance plan. which covers my wife's pregnancy expenses (ofcourse with annual deductable $750 and 80 & 20 co-pay). I am planning to change job soon. What will happen to the insurance coverage for my wife. I am not sure what will be the insurance company name and benefits of my new company at present.

With regards,
Google your COBRA rights.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone who has health insurance and changes jobs can have interim insurance between one policy finishing and one starting. It's also meant to cover any conditions that were being treated. As was said look up COBRA but also look up Title 1 (the insurance portability part) of HIPAA.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Health Insurance - Help

We have friends where the husband absolutely *hated* his job. However, his wife had breast cancer and they were so worried about what would happen regarding health insurance if he changed jobs that he stayed put. Eventually he didn't have a choice as he was made redundant. He did get another job but I don't think the health insurance coverage is as comprehensive as in his previous job (what with his wife having a pre-existing condition)....what I do know is that they are thousands of dollars in debt due to medical bills.

I wonder just how many people at work in the USA really can't stand their jobs and dread going in every day....but are too afraid to quit or find a new employer because of health insurance worries...
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
We have friends where the husband absolutely *hated* his job. However, his wife had breast cancer and they were so worried about what would happen regarding health insurance if he changed jobs that he stayed put. Eventually he didn't have a choice as he was made redundant. He did get another job but I don't think the health insurance coverage is as comprehensive as in his previous job (what with his wife having a pre-existing condition)....what I do know is that they are thousands of dollars in debt due to medical bills.

I wonder just how many people at work in the USA really can't stand their jobs and dread going in every day....but are too afraid to quit or find a new employer because of health insurance worries...
Amen to that. It's true. Some people stay in jobs they detest to keep the benefits.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I would have them look into the HIPAA laws and what they are entitled to. They were going to put in a stipulation that if you were on long term treatment for a condition and you lost medical coverage or had less coverage you would still be covered to the same level as before under other government insurance plans. I don't know if they ever put this in or any sort of similar thing.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 2:41 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitousa
Hi,

With regards,
One would advise finding out as much about the insurance benefits at the new job as about their salary- if not more. Especially with a preg, wife- though with continous coverage, a pre-existing condition is usually covered.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye...the benefits, although shite, are the only reason why the missus is still working for the place she does.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye...the benefits, although shite, are the only reason why the missus is still working for the place she does.
My husband says that when they are recruiting for PA's, secretaries etc. virtually all the candidates at their interview ask about the health care coverage before even asking about what the salary might be (and have even turned down job offers because of this - the company used to be with United Healthcare and changed to Aetna about 18 months ago it was a bit cheaper for the company - a 'blue chip' company at that). It's such a shame.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

My husband says that when they are recruiting for PA's, secretaries etc. virtually all the candidates at their interview ask about the health care coverage before even asking about what the salary might be (and have even turned down job offers because of this - the company used to be with United Healthcare and changed to Aetna about 18 months ago it was a bit cheaper for the company - a 'blue chip' company at that). It's such a shame.
Aye...but it does save them a fortune...even at this site, there's around 1300 employee's, and just under 3000 in the state...but probably not for much longer..