Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance companies. How can you challenge them?

Health insurance companies. How can you challenge them?

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:37 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance companies. How can you challenge them?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Queen of Tact...
Queen of rats if you please.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:40 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I tried thru the Florida Dept of Insurance
waste of time ...
Is that that the state's ombudsman for health insurance? If not, is there an (independent) ombudsman for such complaints?
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
What happens in the meantime?
They sell the debt after 6 months in most cases ....
and then the debt goes down the chain being sold for a lesser
amount each time until it get to the bottom rung of debt collectors
for a penny on the dollar... it means a weekly phone call from
them for years... I often have a chat when they ring
I speak in tongue .. they hang up
if you pay one penny ..the seven years re-start ...
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

but single payor universal healthcare is the devil.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Couldn't you sell recordings of those conversations? I'm sure there would be a market for them...
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:42 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
but single payor universal healthcare is the devil.
somebody get me some garlic and a cross...
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:43 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Ray
Why do you even answer the phone? That encourages the debt collector to call again because they know you're still at that number.

In fact, change your phone number and don't ever answer the phone to them.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:45 am
Homebody

Sorry, Thydney, I know this is not a laughing matter.......... but you know what we're like.

Anyway, seriously: I would ask at www.fool.com - they may be able to point you in the right direction. There's probably a legal board, as well as the insurance board.

It's sickening that, in addition to having to worry about health, one also has to worry about how one can afford healthcare...
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Why do you even answer the phone? That encourages the debt collector to call again because they know you're still at that number.

but what if you wanna call me ... you wont know the new number ...

Anyway I enjoy their calls... I like to hear them stuttering ...
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most insurance companies, if not all, have an office of appeals, or an ombudsman where you can take claims. After that route is exhausted, you can seek redress through your State Office of Insurance registration, which probably has a standard complaint you can file that they will investigate, or you can seek legal assistance from an insurance lawyer who will file a claim for you in the courts (though this can get expensive fast). Do note that in the US, by and large, you are not responsible for the opponents legal fees if you lose (unless you act with great malice and recklessness) so your only cost would be your lawyer. Some lawyers may charge nothing unless you win. Depends.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, you can look for 'Legal Aid' in the phone book and they can give you an initial consultation and then determine if you qualify for free legal assistance.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:06 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Does anyone know who or how you can go about challenging them?

If the insurance company is Aetna - good luck. I have been in battle with them since October of last year over two issues. First, they didn't pay the correct amount to the hospital under the plan and second, they only paid a small amount of the anesthesiologist bill saying they were not in network.

The first issue the hospital have taken up, but the second issue I have appealed twice explaining that anesthesia is part of the treatment and it is hard to understand they don't have one in this area in network.

I made notes of everyone I talked to on the phone and what they said, sent numerous letters but heard nothing. They turned down the first appeal but didn't answer the question why there were none in network. In January I wrote to the CEO, total waste of time. In all I have written to him about 6 times now and no one from his office has ever contacted me.

I have received letters about my appeal which were pointless. One said they received my letter on May 9th (which was actually sent April 21st) and said I would hear from them in thirty days. The letter they sent me was dated June 28th. lolol

I honestly thought that the CEO would at least look into it or pass it to someone to look at, but as I told him in my last letter it seems that Aetna's training policy is that if you ignore it long enough it goes away. I even mentioned to him that the reason my husband's company did not renew their coverage this year was because half the people in the company who had claims were not happy with the way the claims were handled.

I have wondered if it is worth taking it further. Do you contact the insurance department for the State you live in or the State where the insurance company are?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:25 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Lynne
If the insurance company is Aetna - ..............I have wondered if it is worth taking it further. Do you contact the insurance department for the State you live in or the State where the insurance company are?
AFAIK it's determined by the state you live in. Your state's website should have information on how to proceed.

Best of luck. And lots of patience...
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
If the insurance company is Aetna - good luck. I have been in battle with them since October of last year over two issues. First, they didn't pay the correct amount to the hospital under the plan and second, they only paid a small amount of the anesthesiologist bill saying they were not in network.

We have been with Aetna for 11 yrs and have never had a problem.

Contact one of the board of directors...that's what I do if I can't get a problem resolved. However only do this when you have exhausted all other routes. PM me if you want to know the advice I was given on contacting board members...it certainly worked for me.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

That's what some arsehole did, and we got their old number...we got soooo many calls asking for medical payments, payments on a car and weirdest of all harlequin romance novel people rang for payments
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I successfully threatened a US based PHI provider with lawyers a few years back .. do they take any notice over there? Or is the risk too expensive in fees?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.