Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance in California

Health Insurance in California

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance in California

Originally Posted by ToffeeUSA
I totally agree with you. They make us sick with GMO grain, meat fed on GMO foods (especially corn), high fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING and a still largely trusting American population who a) don't read food labels and b) don't know anything different. Pesticide consumption is alarmingly high here, I am sure (otherwise why plant GMO crops other than to douse everything with Roundup)?

We have our own organic garden but much good it will do us...our neighboring fields are sprayed and dusted several times a year...herbicides and pesticides. Drift will render our attempts to eat good food largely futile. Even most of the dog foods here are carcinogenic.

Watch the movies 'Sicko,' 'King Corn,' and 'Food Inc' in preparation for moving here and you might avoid some of the nightmares brought to you by your friendly neighborhood American food and medicine industries.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/sicko/dvd/
http://www.kingcorn.net/
http://www.foodincmovie.com/
Anything by Moore is well not a source I would trust, he can distort facts to make anything look good or bad.

For instance he likes to make Canada look like some utopia, its not and unlike what he showed in Columbine, I dont know one Canadian who leaves their door unlocked, Canada has a pretty high rate of BE into homes, so only a fool would not lock their doors.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

ToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Anything by Moore is well not a source I would trust, he can distort facts to make anything look good or bad.

For instance he likes to make Canada look like some utopia, its not and unlike what he showed in Columbine, I dont know one Canadian who leaves their door unlocked, Canada has a pretty high rate of BE into homes, so only a fool would not lock their doors.
I am no fan of Moore's either, but have you ever watched Sicko? Before dissing it because of its director, people might want to watch it...then they can make an informed decision, rather than a biased one. We might not like the way someone says something...or the politics that underlie it...but if someone tells the truth, is it any less the truth because of the source? As with any claims made by a documentary, people should verify things for themselves.

And most of us no longer believe ANYWHERE is a Utopia!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:07 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by California dreamer
We would have to " play it by ear " Hopefully just return for treatment and stay with friends or relatives. ( Lucky them! ) I don't envisage us leaving the sunshine. I'm convinced I have SAD syndrome. If I don't see enough sun I feel ill. Winter is a tough time for me. I'm sure that people who suffer from it will understand.
We live in a town that has 300 days unbroken blue skies and 8 inches rain per annum, and when a cloudy day comes we get depressed - so it's what you get used to

Our last house in England was a rented box in Darwen Lancashire - the wettest area of England and a dirty, nasty disgusting town. We had to go there for the wife's job. It was 2007 and the wettest since the ice age - it was truly awful and the rain came sideways and never stopped all year. I spent all day on the computer - all year long fighting for my green card while looking out at the rain and dirt and litter and it was the most depressing year of my life. I am only just getting over it

I am used to the Ilkley/Otley/Harrogate/Leeds area where its 28 inches rainfall and the Yorkshire Dales are on the doorstep - I dont even like driving through Lancashire now if I land at Manchester
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

I am as you know an independent contactor and have the same plan as Milan I pay $144 as I said before, BUT get this!

I was in ER 2 weeks ago and just got the final bill online tonite, Milan start saving, I had 4 hrs there with food poisoning....deductions after using a prefered network provider.................... ready for this to get over the shock lol.....$3,771.00 FFS and $1400 is for MISC its unreal.
Ended up paying $2400 could of been worse.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

ToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to allToffeeUSA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Ended up paying $2400 could of been worse.
It could....people have lost their homes because of uncovered medical expenses.

I think that when people here, backed by a heavily biased media (or should we say corporate propaganda system...which benefits hugely on a national basis from advertising from medical insurance firms and big pharma and more locally from health providers), slag off the NHS and Canadian systems of healthcare as being inefficient and unaffordable, they need to consider the TRUE cost of health here in the US, with significant amounts of co-pay if you want reasonable premiums, and health insurers who will do everything they possibly can to increase their premiums-to-payouts ratio, often by not paying for items you and your doctor believe SHOULD be covered.

My father still lives in the UK and is 82 years old. Even though he is in good health, he cannot get health insurance to travel to the USA above the age of 80, so last visited us here when he was 79. If anything did happen to Dad while he was here, being uninsured, we would have to pay for his care out of pocket. Since our insurance could not cover that, we would become bankrupt. This is the stark reality of an avaricious healthcare business that has no interest in people, only in profit. Along with the utterly crap food, use of GMO cereals laden with pesticides and a government wholly controlled by big business, this is an aspect of America that few Brits will feel happy about once they start living here.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:24 am
Just Joined

nessel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
CD, the reason I asked my (somewhat rhetorical) question was so you would see the replies from reliable people here and hopefully understand your options better. Many people think they can just 'pop home' to get their care under the NHS and your reply here sounds like you are left with that same mis-impression.
You can't just go and stay with friends and call yourself a 'resident' if you haven't moved back there. OK, I don't care about the moral argument, you can DO whatever you want (there are examples posted here for you to see how some people work the system), I'm just saying you should know the FACTS before you get too entitlement minded.

I hear you about the SAD; it's very common in my part of Oregon (the one right above California). Consider light therapy; very helpful!

Well there's your problem... don't go to the doc for a tummy ache or sniffles!
Before retiring I worked for a large medical clinic . My 86 years old Mother -in -law came to live with us & as we could not purchase medicaL insurance here, we just renewed a 12 month travel insurance policy. until they would not renew, We were only green card holders & could not sponsor her. She had a stroke aged 91.at the hospital they asked me to sign responsibility. I said no . apparently once you are accepted by the medical facility i e . letting a patient into the facility , they have to treat them. which in her case they did. {I was told the US government has a payment plan for indiginents this is how illegals get treatment) I voluntary took her pension from the UK to the hospital every month. In the meantime there were letters fron Drs & us going back & forth to INS.She was in hospital for 5 months before she passed away. The total bill paid by US funds was $125000.. Two weeks after she was granted a right to live here by INS .
We both now have dual nationality. & an HMO.

Jean
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nessel
Before retiring I worked for a large medical clinic . My 86 years old Mother -in -law came to live with us & as we could not purchase medicaL insurance here, we just renewed a 12 month travel insurance policy. until they would not renew, We were only green card holders & could not sponsor her. She had a stroke aged 91.at the hospital they asked me to sign responsibility. I said no . apparently once you are accepted by the medical facility i e . letting a patient into the facility , they have to treat them. which in her case they did. {I was told the US government has a payment plan for indiginents this is how illegals get treatment) I voluntary took her pension from the UK to the hospital every month. In the meantime there were letters fron Drs & us going back & forth to INS.She was in hospital for 5 months before she passed away. The total bill paid by US funds was $125000.. Two weeks after she was granted a right to live here by INS .

Jean
12 month travel policies do not cover 12 month trips.

Just wondering on what visa she entered?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Jean

You state your MIL came to live with you...but then you say you couldn't sponsor her. So how could she live with you? Holiday insurance wouldn't pay out if she had made a claim because she wasn't on holiday. I can't quite work the dates out....she was 86 and at that time you couldn't sponsor her because you were GC holders...but approx 5 yrs later the INS granted her the right to live here.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You state your MIL came to live with you...but then you say you couldn't sponsor her. So how could she live with you? Holiday insurance wouldn't pay out if she had made a claim because she wasn't on holiday. I can't quite work the dates out....she was 86 and at that time you couldn't sponsor her because you were GC holders...but approx 5 yrs later the INS granted her the right to live here.
It was the only insurance we could get.A colleague told me they did the same,they had a claim & the insurance paid up.When M I L no longer had insurance we couldn't send her back to UK she had no close relatives there .Jf she needed to see a Dr we paid for visits etc we also paid for cateract removal $4000. the clinic I worked for gave me a disscount.(up to the stroke she was quite fit, ) Social Security told me they had to make a report to INS .The INS got in touch with her Dr who told them she was not able to make the journey home , plus she needed the support of her family. I should imagine that the Dr told her she wasn't expected to live long.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

It was the only insurance we could get.A colleague told me they did the same,they had a claim & the insurance paid up.When M I L no longer had insurance we couldn't send her back to UK she had no close relatives there .Jf she needed to see a Dr we paid for visits etc we also paid for cateract removal $4000. the clinic I worked for gave me a disscount.(up to the stroke she was quite fit, ) Social Security told me they had to make a report to INS .The INS got in touch with her Dr who told them she was not able to make the journey home , plus she needed the support of her family. I should imagine that the Dr told her she wasn't expected to live long.
Wow.

If I had done that the last thing I would do is broadcast it.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Wow.

If I had done that the last thing I would do is broadcast it.
Done what!!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ToffeeUSA
It could....people have lost their homes because of uncovered medical expenses.

I think that when people here, backed by a heavily biased media (or should we say corporate propaganda system...which benefits hugely on a national basis from advertising from medical insurance firms and big pharma and more locally from health providers), slag off the NHS and Canadian systems of healthcare as being inefficient and unaffordable, they need to consider the TRUE cost of health here in the US, with significant amounts of co-pay if you want reasonable premiums, and health insurers who will do everything they possibly can to increase their premiums-to-payouts ratio, often by not paying for items you and your doctor believe SHOULD be covered.

My father still lives in the UK and is 82 years old. Even though he is in good health, he cannot get health insurance to travel to the USA above the age of 80, so last visited us here when he was 79. If anything did happen to Dad while he was here, being uninsured, we would have to pay for his care out of pocket. Since our insurance could not cover that, we would become bankrupt. This is the stark reality of an avaricious healthcare business that has no interest in people, only in profit. Along with the utterly crap food, use of GMO cereals laden with pesticides and a government wholly controlled by big business, this is an aspect of America that few Brits will feel happy about once they start living here.

There needs to be a meeting point where the government and its citizens meet so neither goes bankrupt. Governments alone can't exactly afford the rising cost of healthcare either. Here in British Columbia government expects hit to eat 50% of the budget in the next few years, we are already pushing 40% of the budget.

My local health authority is running a 150 million cash short fall this year, so we are loosing services and other cut backs.

Your father would not have been covered here in Canada either had something happend and he lacked travel insurance, Canada's healthcare system only covers residents. In an emergency the ER wont refuse treatment but the patient will receive a bill for the services, walk in clinics and doctors will typically require payment upfront.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Done what!!
Brought my Mother to US without adequate Medical Insurance.

Had her overstay her Visa, subject to deportation etc etc.

Had her treated pro bono, when their main concern would be to do the minimum to get her out
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Brought my Mother to US without adequate Medical Insurance.

Had her overstay her Visa, subject to deportation etc etc.

Had her treated pro bono, when their main concern would be to do the minimum to get her out
I know people who've done a similar thing. I understand people's reasons for doing it but, aside from the moral and legal issues it raises, that last sentence is why it's a poor idea imo. There are so many cases where indigent patients get minimal care and then get kicked out of hospital asap.