Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:20 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Dorking12
As we have a baby with us health insurance needs to be found as soon as we arrive. I've checked various websites e.g. www.texashealthoptions.com; www.tdi.texas.gov/health to check quotes but they all seem very expensive. I was hoping to pay between $400-600/ month.Is this a realistic cost?
In MA you'd get a good policy for around $1000/month. In TX you might be able to find a cheaper policy, but a with far higher deductible.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Wifey and kids' individual policies average $200 each on Kaiser. I think DD (14mo) is the most expensive; the wife's cheapest. Mine, pre-existing HIPAA plan, $520.

But premiums are only a (small) part of the cost really.
The co-pays and deductibles are important. In MA you'd get a family plan for $1000/month with annual $4k deductible and $10k out of pocket max. So the annual cost could easily be $22k.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The co-pays and deductibles are important. In MA you'd get a family plan for $1000/month with annual $4k deductible and $10k out of pocket max. So the annual cost could easily be $22k.
That's what I mean - premiums can be relatively minor in the great scheme of things. Most of the individual policies I looked at worked out 2-3x the premium cost per year, assuming maxing out on the OOP and limiting the copays. All a bit irrelevant really as there are so many variables and choices depending on your level of risk and the phase of the moon.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheilauk
After all there must be someone out there who wants my money!
That's why they won't touch pre-existing conditions unless forced to by law, they are a guaranteed payout to insurance companies. Looking at what my insurance company paid out last year compared to what they got from me and my employer, they lost several thousand dollars.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorking12
Texas would it be best to use an agent to find insurance? Any recommendations?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Get your quote here. www.bcbstx.com/

Last edited by cranston; Jan 18th 2013 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not with pre existing conditions.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 1:59 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I understand totally that a lot of Americans don't have health insurance but what I don't understand is why they put up with such an unfair system and quite frankly positively archaic. Still it is what it is and somehow I will get it pre-existing conditions et al. After all there must be someone out there who wants my money!
Unfortunately, if you are a healthcare insurance company, presented with someone who has a pre-existing condition, it is similar to a car insurance company presented with someone who just had a crash.

"Your money" won't come close to what it costs to have you as a customer.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sheilauk is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all very depressing. How can I put our house up for sale if I can't be sure of health insurance.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is all very depressing. How can I put our house up for sale if I can't be sure of health insurance.
You keep saying that you need health insurance asap because of pre-conditions, but, also, what about your hubby?

There is also the risk that he might not get insurance either unless he gets a job pretty quickly and the company offers insurance. (Of course as soon as he gets a job and gets company insurance then most of your worries would be over).

However, based on your ages and health history, neither of you might get insurance.

How confident are you that hubby is going to find a job with insurance?
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that this would have been a major point of research and decision before actually proceeding with the visa paperwork. Even if either of you gets a job it is unlikely that the insurance would kick in right away and you would probably end up with a 12 month exclusion on pre-existing conditions when it does kick in due to too long a gap without insurance.

Anyway, if you feel comfortable sharing, what is the condition? It may be that it really isn't classed as a pre-existing condition or it may be something that can be managed without insurance in the short term.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The secret with illness in the US is to make sure you're not worth suing by protecting any assets from creditors.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sheilauk is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all l have been researching health insurance since end of August last year. What has happened is that when I rang blue cross blue shield I was told I could use my daughters address in NY and my USA Passport plus proof from the NHS for the creditable coverage. This has turned out to be the wrong information which I have ONLY just recently found out. I have subsequently rung up and had 4 different interpretations as to what I have to do. Other places have just said I need an address. I have no intention of working and my husband will be able to look for a job after 2 years has gone by and he becomes a permanent resident with a green card. He will hopefully get health insurance with an immigration health insurance for 62 days and then hopefully can add him to mine or get his own. I'm looking into GeoBlue at the moment.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

First of all l have been researching health insurance since end of August last year. What has happened is that when I rang blue cross blue shield I was told I could use my daughters address in NY and my USA Passport plus proof from the NHS for the creditable coverage. This has turned out to be the wrong information which I have ONLY just recently found out. I have subsequently rung up and had 4 different interpretations as to what I have to do. Other places have just said I need an address. I have no intention of working and my husband will be able to look for a job after 2 years has gone by and he becomes a permanent resident with a green card. He will hopefully get health insurance with an immigration health insurance for 62 days and then hopefully can add him to mine or get his own. I'm looking into GeoBlue at the moment.
The person on the other end of the phone is paid $10/hour, probably can't afford health insurance themselves, and is bullied every morning by an IQ0 manager to make those sales. Next week they'll be selling cruises by phone
or demanding payments from those who haven't paid their medical bills.

Never act on anything you're told on the phone as an American consumer.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:36 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

First of all l have been researching health insurance since end of August last year. What has happened is that when I rang blue cross blue shield I was told I could use my daughters address in NY and my USA Passport plus proof from the NHS for the creditable coverage.
Seriously look at moving to MA. NYC is an easy car, train or bus trip and I think you might qualify for Commonwealth Choice, so research that option. No worries about pre-existing conditions.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all l have been researching health insurance since end of August last year. What has happened is that when I rang blue cross blue shield I was told I could use my daughters address in NY and my USA Passport plus proof from the NHS for the creditable coverage. This has turned out to be the wrong information which I have ONLY just recently found out.
I thought the problem is your pre existing condition. Will you be staying with your daughter? Seems reasonable to us eher address if so.

My husband will be able to look for a job after 2 years has gone by and he becomes a permanent resident with a green card.
? I think you misunderstand.

He will hopefully get health insurance with an immigration health insurance for 62 days and then hopefully can add him to mine or get his own. I'm looking into GeoBlue at the moment.
I thought the issue was pre existing coverage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.