Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:37 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Bob
Got to be a MA resident for 12 months before being able to get in on the state offering, so that won't help you out to much, but there might be others?
Bob, do you have a link for that requirement. Is it for state plans like MassHealth or for the plans on "The Connector" too?
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Bob, do you have a link for that requirement. Is it for state plans like MassHealth or for the plans on "The Connector" too?
I can't find it now, but when we first looked into it, it was a requirement for the state subsidised plan.

Private plans weren't able to exclude pre-existing, but they were just unaffordable for that first 12 month period.

It was the states way of being able to cover the residents but put off people from moving to the state specifically for the coverage. It's a reason why so many of those seasonal workers you see in the summer here living in just over the border in RI/NH. Out where I am at least.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:39 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I can't find it now, but when we first looked into it, it was a requirement for the state subsidised plan.

Private plans weren't able to exclude pre-existing, but they were just unaffordable for that first 12 month period.

That's what I remember too, but I can't find any residency period requirement anymore for Commonwealth Choice. Here are the eligibility requirements for an Individual policy. So it would seem that the OP could buy coverage as soon as she became an MA resident.

https://www.mahealthconnector.org/po...oup_Policy.pdf

and here is the packet to apply. Going through the eligibility questions at the beginning and answering with what I imagine is the OP's situation she would be eligible for Commonwealth Choice coverage.

https://www.mahealthconnector.org/po...ent%20Form.pdf

Last edited by nun; Jan 18th 2013 at 3:51 am.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Dorking12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been reading this post with avid interest as I will be moving to Austin in few weeks time.

I recently qualified for an immigrant visa through the DV lottery scheme and will be moving with OH and baby (6 months).

We will have no job (not possible to transfer through work), but have savings that have to be used wisely.

As we have a baby with us health insurance needs to be found as soon as we arrive. I've checked various websites e.g. www.texashealthoptions.com; www.tdi.texas.gov/health to check quotes but they all seem very expensive. I was hoping to pay between $400-600/ month.Is this a realistic cost?

Also for those living in Austin / Texas would it be best to use an agent to find insurance? Any recommendations?

Arrival in Austin coincides with the SXSW festival so vacation rentals are astronomical.
Does anyone have a recommended website that can be used to find a rental apartmentment or vacation let apart from these websites - www.VRBO.com, or www.airbnb.com?

Thanks
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheilauk
Hi

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I understand totally that a lot of Americans don't have health insurance but what I don't understand is why they put up with such an unfair system and quite frankly positively archaic. Still it is what it is and somehow I will get it pre-existing conditions et al. After all there must be someone out there who wants my money!
For many it's a case of 'I'm alright Jack'. Many...not all...that have good healthcare insurance don't want to pay for those that haven't. They have heard all kinds if horror stories about Canadian and British healthcare. They also have a hang up about wanting to be in control...rather than the government controlling healthcare.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorking12
I recently qualified for an immigrant visa through the DV lottery scheme and will be moving with OH and baby (6 months).

We will have no job (not possible to transfer through work), but have savings that have to be used wisely.

As we have a baby with us health insurance needs to be found as soon as we arrive. I've checked various websites e.g. www.texashealthoptions.com; www.tdi.texas.gov/health to check quotes but they all seem very expensive. I was hoping to pay between $400-600/ month.Is this a realistic cost?
No job, no health insurance, baby = crazy to move.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheilauk
Hi

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I understand totally that a lot of Americans don't have health insurance but what I don't understand is why they put up with such an unfair system and quite frankly positively archaic. Still it is what it is and somehow I will get it pre-existing conditions et al. After all there must be someone out there who wants my money!
The majority of Americans do have health insurance - most through their work and some on individual health policies.

Whereas some 30 to 40 million don't have cover, that's only about 10 to 12% of the population.

As said elsewhere in this thread, the majority who have insurance don't worry about the ones that are not covered and are certainly not going to jeopardise their own cover to try and extend health insurance to others.

Hence the opposition to "Obamacare"
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The majority of Americans do have health insurance - most through their work and some on individual health policies.
Whereas some 30 to 40 million don't have cover, that's only about 10 to 12% of the population.
As said elsewhere in this thread, the majority who have insurance don't worry about the ones that are not covered and are certainly not going to jeopardise their own cover to try and extend health insurance to others.
errrr.....
1. And who won the election?
2. What did he campaign on?

nuff said
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
errrr.....
1. And who won the election?
2. What did he campaign on?

nuff said
About half the country opposes Obamacare, most for the reasons stated above, the rest because they don't think the reforms went far enough (public option or single payer etc being their likely preference).

Some reforms have already gone into effect, but the most significant aspects don't come into force until next year. It's not clear how it's going to play out. The legislation has survived a Supreme Court challenge (mainly), but states that have Republican governors have generally been dragging their feet in doing the preparatory work. It's not clear how it's going to play out, but my bet is that in some states we will see things implemented, but in others it will be a mess.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
About half the country opposes Obamacare, most for the reasons stated above, the rest because they don't think the reforms went far enough (public option or single payer etc being their likely preference).

It's not clear how it's going to play out, but my bet is that in some states we will see things implemented, but in others it will be a mess.
Alas - democracy's a "mess"y business...

Twixt optimist and pessimist
The difference is droll
The optimist sees the donut
The pessimist sees the hole

The realist.....bets that the American people will (sometimes ) do the "right" thing......
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:25 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
No job, no health insurance, baby = crazy to move.
I'd add moving to TX which has a high percentage of uninsured. The plus is the low unemployment, but I would not want to arrive there with a baby but no insurance.

Last edited by nun; Jan 18th 2013 at 6:28 am.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorking12
I was hoping to pay between $400-600/ month.Is this a realistic cost?
Per person, possibly yes....for a family, not a chance, especially with a baby, when something like the 6 month health check up on the baby can cost $400 plus cost of jabs.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Last figures were 65M without cover.

It's not really not having cover that's all that scary, it's having inadequate cover that is really scary.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:14 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Last figures were 65M without cover.

It's not really not having cover that's all that scary, it's having inadequate cover that is really scary.
True, most Americans with health insurance are on the hook for annual out of pocket costs of maybe $2k, $5k or even $10k. Americans get a really raw deal when it comes to health care. The quality is usually very good, but access can be difficult and the cost is astronomical.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Per person, possibly yes....for a family, not a chance, especially with a baby, when something like the 6 month health check up on the baby can cost $400 plus cost of jabs.
Wifey and kids' individual policies average $200 each on Kaiser. I think DD (14mo) is the most expensive; the wife's cheapest. Mine, pre-existing HIPAA plan, $520.

But premiums are only a (small) part of the cost really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.