Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:42 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

NYstate do discount health insurance for its residents. You get insurance through the big insurance companies but with the cheaper rates of a large company employer. I would check it out to see if you qualify.

http://www.ins.state.ny.us/website2/hny/english/hny.htm I think this may have the info you need
Old Sep 8th 2005, 12:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
...but then again, it was my impression that if she is living here on a non-work visa (H4, for example) then she can't be working running a company in the UK.
that's true, she wouldn't or she runs the risk of getting the visa voided and then booted as a worse case scenario
Old Sep 8th 2005, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Do they actually check or anything? I guess i would only use A+E if required on a home trip - which is probably OK, but if you still have UK address and stuff do you think you could con them?
maintaining UK residency like that would risk the US visa as part of maintaining US residency though wouldn't it...and as for the NHS checking, chances are they won't, but if your not listed on your old gp anymore, you could get into trouble, being cash strapped they might check on you, but depends on where bouts in blighty you are.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
maintaining UK residency like that would risk the US visa as part of maintaining US residency though wouldn't it...and as for the NHS checking, chances are they won't, but if your not listed on your old gp anymore, you could get into trouble, being cash strapped they might check on you, but depends on where bouts in blighty you are.

I still keep a house in the UK - rented out but the mail is forwarded etc - and I am probably still listed with the GP - oops - more through oversight than anything else!!

Still i have full coverage over here so wont be an issue - just poondering on these things....
Old Sep 8th 2005, 3:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Big D
I still keep a house in the UK - rented out but the mail is forwarded etc - and I am probably still listed with the GP - oops - more through oversight than anything else!!
having a house isn't a problem, it's just if it weren't yours and you still rented, that might look more fishy I think
I'm still listed with my gp as well, he rights me a prescription for ibuprofen and my mother sends it over almost in baulk and it's still cheaper than buying it here
dodgy ankle and all that... but anyway, I think they do a check every once in a while, don't really know how it works, but my mothers friend who lived in Oxford had to go back to Japan, anyway, when she was over on holiday she tried to see her gp to pick up some meds, and was told she was no longer a resident and couldn't get nhs prescription....don't know how they knew, or the details, but it happens.