British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-324751/)

Alice in Wonderland Sep 7th 2005 9:03 pm

Health Insurance

Hi everyone,

I have recently moved to NYC and need to buy my own health insurance.

I am only really looking for something to cover me for emergencies - anything routine I can go when I'm in the UK.

Does anyone know any reasonably priced companies?

Elvira Sep 7th 2005 9:05 pm

Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Alice in Wonderland
Hi everyone,

I am only really looking for something to cover me for emergencies - anything routine I can go when I'm in the UK.

If you are living in the US, you are no longer entitled to NHS treatment for 'routine' things - only emergencies.

As for US cover, google for BlueCross/BlueShield, United Healthcare etc.

LeedsGirl Sep 7th 2005 9:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Not sure there are any companies that cover you for emergencies only other wise we'd all be using it. You will still have to pay a monthly premium for health coverage. Shop around with Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Aetna, search on-line, there are plenty of them depending on what you want.

snowbunny Sep 7th 2005 9:07 pm

Hi everyone,

What you are looking for is catastrophic coverage -- though whether that's truly the right thing for you is questionable.

Get quotes from several and better, recommendations from friends who have actually filed claims, to see what they're like when they have to pay out.

Can't help you with health insurance but State Farm are ace at auto insurance; they cost a bit more, but when you need them, they really are there and pay with minimum fuss (last thing you need after a car crash is to hassle with insurance company).

Manc Sep 7th 2005 9:08 pm

not if you're not a resident of the UK anymore............

Try a major medical policy with a HSA attached to help pay for any deductibles.

snowbunny Sep 7th 2005 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

She hasn't said whether she's working or not / legally resident etc.....

If working -- try for a job that has health insurance. Far cheaper and less hassle than an individual policy.

having been pretty well disqualified from birth for private medical insurance, I haven't looked into the differences between companies.

Alice in Wonderland Sep 7th 2005 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

I still run a company in the UK and pay taxes - am I still not allowed to use NHS?

Alice in Wonderland Sep 7th 2005 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
She hasn't said whether she's working or not / legally resident etc.....

If working -- try for a job that has health insurance. Far cheaper and less hassle than an individual policy.

having been pretty well disqualified from birth for private medical insurance, I haven't looked into the differences between companies.

I am here with my husband -we are both here legally - he works for a company which does not provide health insurance - I am not eligable to work on our visa

AmerLisa Sep 7th 2005 9:15 pm

www.insurance.com is where I've looked before.

Manc Sep 7th 2005 9:16 pm

I still run a company in the UK and pay taxes - am I still not allowed to use NHS?

where do you live?

It goes by residency - not taxes.

Bob Sep 7th 2005 9:41 pm

if your living in the US, you aint' resident of the UK, so can't use the NHS.

dbj1000 Sep 7th 2005 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

...but then again, it was my impression that if she is living here on a non-work visa (H4, for example) then she can't be working running a company in the UK.

Big D Sep 7th 2005 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Do they actually check or anything? I guess i would only use A+E if required on a home trip - which is probably OK, but if you still have UK address and stuff do you think you could con them?

Just hypothesising you understand

AmerLisa Sep 7th 2005 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
Do they actually check or anything? I guess i would only use A+E if required on a home trip - which is probably OK, but if you still have UK address and stuff do you think you could con them?

Just hypothesising you understand

On the unethical side of things....why not? Do you maintain a home in the UK as well as here? Or do you just run your business from the US?

Alice in Wonderland Sep 7th 2005 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
On the unethical side of things....why not? Do you maintain a home in the UK as well as here? Or do you just run your business from the US?

Not planning on doing anything unethical!!

Thanks for the advice about health insurance - looks as if I will have to buy something which covers me for everything