Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Having a family member bring your possessions to you after emigrating

Having a family member bring your possessions to you after emigrating

Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

shent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really nice
Default Having a family member bring your possessions to you after emigrating

Long story short, I move to the US on a K1 visa on Sunday and my mother & brother follow in a few weeks time to attend my wedding.
Drumming was one of my favourite past-times while in the UK, and I wanted my brother to bring my collection of cymbals with him and leave them with me in the US after he flies back to the UK. I figured this would be the cheapest way of getting them to the US, as he could pay to have them checked in for £45ish.
Would this be a problem when he comes through immigration? I'd hate for him to be detained for suspecting him of being there to work. Would writing a letter and having him show IO that they're for me be proof enough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a family member bring your possessions to you after emigrating

Originally Posted by shent
Long story short, I move to the US on a K1 visa on Sunday and my mother & brother follow in a few weeks time to attend my wedding.
Drumming was one of my favourite past-times while in the UK, and I wanted my brother to bring my collection of cymbals with him and leave them with me in the US after he flies back to the UK. I figured this would be the cheapest way of getting them to the US, as he could pay to have them checked in for £45ish.
Would this be a problem when he comes through immigration? I'd hate for him to be detained for suspecting him of being there to work. Would writing a letter and having him show IO that they're for me be proof enough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
send him an email asking him to bring the stuff for you
add the usual chatter so it as a normal email would be
then he should print it out and produce it if stopped
he should then
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

shent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really nice
Default Re: Having a family member bring your possessions to you after emigrating

Originally Posted by Ray
send him an email asking him to bring the stuff for you
add the usual chatter so it as a normal email would be
then he should print it out and produce it if stopped
he should then
Sounds simple enough, and I do love simple
That's what we'll do then, thanks for your help
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shent
I figured this would be the cheapest way of getting them to the US, as he could pay to have them checked in for £45ish.
Thanks!
Why don't you transport them, then? Save your brother the additional hassle.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Why don't you transport them, then? Save your brother the additional hassle.
I'm already taking 2 suitcases and my carry on, & I have to travel through 4 airports. That, and he owes me a favour